1988 cclb r20 pulling power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

30backs

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
So as some of you might have read in my other post I have a 1988 cclb r20 that I recently converted to a dually. It has a decent running tbi 350/sm465/dana 70hd 3.73 gears and tires or about 31" .I am thinking about using this to pull my 85 cc bobbed bed k30 mud truck to a mud park about an hour away. I was wondering if this is a realistic goal for my truck and can it do it no problem it is mostly all old back high way roads to get there. If not what could I improve on it to make this haul?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
So as some of you might have read in my other post I have a 1988 cclb r20 that I recently converted to a dually. It has a decent running tbi 350/sm465/dana 70hd 3.73 gears and tires or about 31" .I am thinking about using this to pull my 85 cc bobbed bed k30 mud truck to a mud park about an hour away. I was wondering if this is a realistic goal for my truck and can it do it no problem it is mostly all old back high way roads to get there. If not what could I improve on it to make this haul?

That engine was factory rated at 210hp, and 300lbft.
With a final in the trans at 1:1, and 3.73 rear, you should have no problem towing the other vehicle.
The thing with towing between 1/2 and 3/4 tone trucks is mostley a breaking issue. Lighter duty auto transmissions and springs on the 1/2 tons are an issue as well, but a 1/2 ton with the same powertrain(-the D70) would tow just fine, but stopping it with the lighter brakes is the big issue.
as far as improvements.... three biggys for TBI, especially for towing, is keep the TBI heads, port the exhaust ports to match the manifold or header, and if you want to go a bit deeper, some 1.7 exhaust valves make a nice little power jump.
An L31 Vortec roller cam(stock) seems to love working wit the TBI heads.
Then a ported TBI (2"barrels) on a ported manifold(opened up to accomodate the larger TB)

30backs

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
ok thanks this is what I wanted to hear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members