1987 chevy r20 no spark or fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmfp407

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
r20
Engine Size
Checked the fuses again all good and I have power to the pink wire I just installed a new coil the only thing left to change would be the pick up coil. No I have not scanned it
Thanks

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Checked the fuses again all good and I have power to the pink wire I just installed a new coil the only thing left to change would be the pick up coil. No I have not scanned it
Thanks

Yup, that would be my next step.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I had one once have a wire break off the pickup coil. That's why I was asking earlier if you checked the wires on it. The pickup coil tells the computer that the engine is cranking and how much to fuel it for the rpm. It also tells the engine when to spark. It works same as crank sensor on newer engines. If the check engine light was on with the key on, that's a self test of computer showing that it was working what I was told by a master tech years ago

bmfp407

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
r20
Engine Size
Thanks everyone for all the info it ended up being the pickup coil, I was able to return the computer so that saved some $$$. So now i have a new pickup coil, ignition coil and a new ignition control modulator, I guess it was time for a tune up anyway

thanks again

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks everyone for all the info it ended up being the pickup coil, I was able to return the computer so that saved some $$$. So now i have a new pickup coil, ignition coil and a new ignition control modulator, I guess it was time for a tune up anyway

thanks again

Right on Brother, glad it worked out.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
Best part is even buying all those parts, it was still cheaper than a diagnosing fee you would have had with a newer car. Plus I've found most parts are available easy for our squares. Unless your in my town looking for big block or K30 parts and no one stocks them anymore since there's only 2 of us with them local lol.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Holy ****. My first time reading a story about a bad pickup coil. Glad ya got it fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes