1985 k5 4x4 5.3l vortec swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87Scottsdale

Reaction score
First Name
Bennett
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Awesome. I'm looking in to doing a LS 6.0 swap in my 87.

KillerK5

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
That's Awesome! I put a LS2 that I custom built into a 51 F1. It puts out about 500hp and gets 24mpg.

I have several 5.3 engines, I would like to build one and stuff it in something cool.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
That's Awesome! I put a LS2 that I custom built into a 51 F1. It puts out about 500hp and gets 24mpg.

I have several 5.3 engines, I would like to build one and stuff it in something cool.
Care to l list specs of this build? That's awesome with the mpgs and hp

Sent from the dust in front of you!

KillerK5

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
It's a 2007 cast iron 6.0 block with Mahle pistons. The heads are LS2 from GM performance. Stock pickup style intake stock injectors. Ceramic coated headers. I don't have the specs on the camshaft, my dad purchased it. I built the engine for his truck. It's running a 4L65E with a shift kit. The truck is really light. It's a 51 Ford F1 that's been chopped 3", Shortened 12", mustang II front suspension, T-Bird Independent rear. All Bagged. It's pretty quick.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Man I wish you could get those cam specs... that's where it gets interesting...

Sent from the dust in front of you!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nice job man.

Andrew mh

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
So I'm not too chevy savvy. How much knowledge on Chevys and swaps did you have before tackling this one? I found a 5.3 at a salvage yard for 700 with computer and wiring. I know nothing about Chevys and transmissions associated with Chevys. Im just trying to see if I'm getting myself in over my head doing this swap into our 85 K5 4X4. I've swapped Honda motors with some wiring associated so I'm not an absolute rookie.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So I'm not too chevy savvy. How much knowledge on Chevys and swaps did you have before tackling this one? I found a 5.3 at a salvage yard for 700 with computer and wiring. I know nothing about Chevys and transmissions associated with Chevys. Im just trying to see if I'm getting myself in over my head doing this swap into our 85 K5 4X4. I've swapped Honda motors with some wiring associated so I'm not an absolute rookie.

:grd: It's a common swap. The aftermarket things needed are available. Like motor mounts. You'll need to so something about a speed sensor to run the LS motor electronics. You probably have the 700r4/NP208 combo, so maybe find an NP241 for the later model Burbs and K5's that have the reluctor wheel speedo. There is also some conversion electronics too so you can keep your analog speedo and yet still send speed readings to the ECM.

Andrew mh

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Cool thanks. The yard has a higher mileage 6.0 also. Would that be a better motor to get?

Last edited:

Larry Downs

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
LS3 Crate motor
I did a 5.3 swap into a 2006 Jeep Unlimited a couple of years ago. My mileage was 15 to 17 mpg after the swap. I then took it to a friend who tuned it to the Jeep, all the shift points were wrong as my donor 5.3 computer thought it was still in a Suburban. He adjusted several parameters as we drove the Jeep a few miles. Boy what a difference that made! After the tune I consistently got 19-21 mpg and drivability was so much better. I paid $100 for the initial removal of the VATS to get the Jeep running and $150 for the tune. Loved that swap, worth every penny!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
TJ Unlimiteds are awesome. Something tells me that a K5 should easily be able to achieve the same mileage.

bls77red

Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Few questions if you don't mind. What throttle cable and bracket did you end up using?upper and lower radiator hoses? And what did you use for a ecm holder? You have a very nice build

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Few questions if you don't mind. What throttle cable and bracket did you end up using?upper and lower radiator hoses? And what did you use for a ecm holder? You have a very nice build

Good question on the throttle cable. I seen in the pic where the cable is, and ASSUMING, that is the 700r4 TV Cable also hooked up there. So is that the correct geometry too for the 700r4?

BTW, the throttle cable is only needed on up to 2002 Swaps. 2003 and later swaps you have to replace the complete throttle pedal assembly for the drive by wire and then no TV cable for the 700r4 is available either.

That's what I like I most about this particular swap. Is that it's still got all the electronics but it's all adapted to and from all the analog parts like the speedo so you can leave alot of the OEM manual analog stuff alone and keep the square even more OEM.

Most of the swaps I've seen are 2003 or later donors and all is converted to full electronic. Which also is not bad but you do have to do things like swap the throttle pedal to the aftermarket pedal which is ugly and doesn't match the brake pedal for those who are OCD like me. The Speedo needs to be changed out to an electronic speedo that uses the DRAC 89-91 IIRC or other other converter, and they also use the 4L60-E or 4L80-E transmission.

bls77red

Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I have just put a5.3 with a4l60 in my 85k10. I have a drive by cable throttle body. And just trying to source a throttle cable and bracket for it to the truck intake. I was curious on what radiator hoses you ended up using.and what did you use for oil pressure sending unit? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69