1981 Burb 6.0 swap questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pauly8186

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Trailering Special Suburban
Engine Size
350 sbc
I've got an old beautiful suburban I'm stripping it down to the frame and doing it all from the bottom up!
I know my way around a wrench and have plenty of tools and always learning something new!

So I've got a 1981 Suburban that's loaded up very well with just about every option in that year I think. It was a barn find. But I have the all the original paperwork including title and order form from the dealership and more.

Now sits under the hood a 350/TH350/208 combo with 3:73 locking diff and auto hubs (of course under 25mph) with quad shocks in front, 52 in rear leaf springs and an 11,000gvw (trailering special edition) with rear a/c, factory cb radio, 3rd row, split middle row, cruise, pw, pl, a/c and 6 lug rally wheels with chrome beauty rings! Haha.

The whole interior is completely ruined due to excessive moisture where it sat. So I am looking for a donor vehicle that has a good interior, even the dash and all components are ruined. But the paint and body is amazingly clean after hours and hours of buffing.

So my goal is to go 6.0L LQ4 with L92 heads and intake attached to a 4l80 with a mild cam a good exhaust and a very good tune should make it purr but sound nasty at the same time! I've already got a transmission for dirty cheap, I'll rebuild that and stick in a nice shift kit.
I want to keep it close to original but use the technology we have today!

I would like to keep the 208 transfer case, but wondering if that is adaptable? Or is the NV261 strong enough to handle extra power? I will not go with an electronic t-case, prefer a stick so I know it's locked in! But might have to go with the NV261 for speed sensors?

I am new to the forum and have been doing a lot of research on the best combo for daily driving/hauling/toy vehicle for awhile now. I'm just saving up extra money and selling off a few vehicles to hopefully get this project done before winter!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'll be watching this.

pauly8186

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 sbc
Now does someone know if I'm able to keep the same gauges and all? Or do I need to find a way to customize the dash to fit a newer set of gauges? Thought about doing a complete custom Guage set but kinda like the original set up.

pauly8186

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 sbc
Did I post in the wrong category? I figured someone wold have shared some info by now.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
For the gauges, you can use the cluster from 90-91 Squarebody burb's and blazers. They are a direct swap in, and use an electronic Speedo that you can feed from the PCM for the 6.0L.

pauly8186

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 sbc
Ok. That makes sense to me. So I'll just look for a donor 90 and up Burb! I do think care how the outside looks as long as interior is good

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

87lsxgmc

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
they make adapter kits to go from 4l80e to np208, but unless you think od is a must, i would keep the th350.

Jacksamusprime

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Gauges

I like the VHX gauges from dakota digital

Modern features and you don't have to rework the dash. I'm planning to get these for my C10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10