1980 Sierra K15 NP205 Stuck In Neutral

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Yes, the transmission is a TH350. I would agree that is beginning to appear like the body was set onto a 4wd frame, I just can't wrap my head around why. Non of the previous owners I tracked down mentioned it.
I'm replacing the bed, rockers, cab corners, front fenders and wheel wheels. Unless this old girl turned from Cinderella into a rusty pumpkin overnight, why? How bad could the other body have been, lol?
The hump in the floor is right for a 4WD, I saw in a previous post the VIN said it was a 2WD cab though? Looks like a project for you and the son at any rate. Good luck and keep the pics coming.

Strickland

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Correct, the VIN is C indicating 2wd. I have a 79 Bonanza and an 85 Silverado in front of this one so I'm not sure when the official restoration will begin, but it is always nice to know a little history from these old gals.
I'll post up the transfer case tag likely tomorrow if I can get time.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Correct, the VIN is C indicating 2wd. I have a 79 Bonanza and an 85 Silverado in front of this one so I'm not sure when the official restoration will begin, but it is always nice to know a little history from these old gals.
I'll post up the transfer case tag likely tomorrow if I can get time.
What is the legal vin and does that vin match the dashboard vin?

Because a K15 is going to be a 4wd half ton truck.
There are lots of reasons someone may have swapped frames or even just cabs etc etc and then driveline happened at some point. The cab has a lot less rust than the fenders, so im wondering if the cab didnt rust out bad and the person paint matched. or the cab just took on less rust from the happenings of life lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Seatbelts appear newer than 1980 as well(mine has the old plastic cased kind thats not black, but takes on one of the interior colors I think?)
Also, do the vent windows have buttons on the latch? whats it look like behind the fuel door?(pic?)

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What is the legal vin and does that vin match the dashboard vin?

Because a K15 is going to be a 4wd half ton truck.
There are lots of reasons someone may have swapped frames or even just cabs etc etc and then driveline happened at some point. The cab has a lot less rust than the fenders, so im wondering if the cab didnt rust out bad and the person paint matched. or the cab just took on less rust from the happenings of life lol

Yes, the VIN off the dashboard matches the VIN stated on the title and according to the DMV.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Photos of the vent window and seat belts. No tag on the transfer case. I looked high and low. It looks like the same 203 I had on a 77 a few years ago.
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Can you take a picture of the front axle casting number/list number? It should be around the perimeter of the pumpkin and on the axle tube.. to the right.. I think. The year of the axle can probably tell you a lot. (And original application)

And did you answer about the hub lock unit
Do you have glass or plastic fuses, and does your axles have the word SPICER or WARN on them?, pics if possible?
Or is the axle end a cover with no knob?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Just to say it out loud, the tcase tag will be on the front side of a 203. It's above the front output.

If you're interested, there should be a partial VIN stamped into the top of the frame rail in the area under the passenger front floorboard, you'll need a mirror to see it.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yep, the tag on a previous 203 I had was blue and facing the front of the truck. Nothing on this one.
I'm heading back out shortly to have another look and snap a few more pics.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Photos of the vent window and seat belts. No tag on the transfer case. I looked high and low. It looks like the same 203 I had on a 77 a few years ago.

also your vent winsdow handles suggest 1980

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey