1980 ck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flatford39

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
I just bought a 1980 CK 1/2 ton pick up with a 350 engine. I need to change out the exhaust system. I notice that someone replaced the existing system with dual exhaust and eliminated the catalytic converter. I am going back to the stock single exhaust and will put the CC back on but I also noticed that this truck doesn't have an air pump on it either although all the other pollution devices appear to intact. My question is did this truck come with the air pump?? I see no evidence as to one ever being installed and do you think it would pass a state of Illinois emission test with out one.

Thank you for any assistance.

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Tom I live in Illinois as well. The vehicle being over 25 years old I do believe that emissions are no longer a concern. Personally I wouldn't put the cat back on either just one more thing to have to worry about . You should be free and clear to run it as is. Whereabouts in northeast Illinois are you at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flatford39

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Tom I live in Illinois as well. The vehicle being over 25 years old I do believe that emissions are no longer a concern. Personally I wouldn't put the cat back on either just one more thing to have to worry about . You should be free and clear to run it as is. Whereabouts in northeast Illinois are you at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John,

I live in the St. Charles area. My understanding is that any vehicle 1996 or older that has passed an Illinois emissions test prior to 2007 will be exempt. Since I just recently bought this truck out of state and it never went through Illinois emissions I have to get it to pass one test and then I am exempt from any others. Correct me if I am wrong (anyone) but that is how I am reading the DMV rules. I don't think it's going to be a big problem but all I need to know is did a 1980 use the air pump or not. The passenger side exhaust manifold doesn't even have the ports drilled into it on the two center ports but has them on the ends. They are capped off and look like factory. The left side manifold does have capped off ports at all four locations.

I have a pump and manifolds from a 79 350 that has them all, but I don't want to go through the work of changing these out if I don't have to.

Thanks for your reply.

Tom

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
John,

I live in the St. Charles area. My understanding is that any vehicle 1996 or older that has passed an Illinois emissions test prior to 2007 will be exempt. Since I just recently bought this truck out of state and it never went through Illinois emissions I have to get it to pass one test and then I am exempt from any others. Correct me if I am wrong (anyone) but that is how I am reading the DMV rules. I don't think it's going to be a big problem but all I need to know is did a 1980 use the air pump or not. The passenger side exhaust manifold doesn't even have the ports drilled into it on the two center ports but has them on the ends. They are capped off and look like factory. The left side manifold does have capped off ports at all four locations.

I have a pump and manifolds from a 79 350 that has them all, but I don't want to go through the work of changing these out if I don't have to.

Thanks for your reply.

Tom
Try to register it before you fix anything if you're not sure. If it fails, claim stupidity. Then fix your issues. No point in installing an AIR pump and converter if you don't need to.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Try to register it before you fix anything if you're not sure. If it fails, claim stupidity. Then fix your issues. No point in installing an AIR pump and converter if you don't need to.

I agree, and an out of state truck, if you're registering it with an out of state title into your state, it may also be exempt. If it does require a pass, it's also possible it's just a VISUAL test. If it's there and APPEARS to be in working order, PASS, then you can got home and take it off. But yep, play stupid and you will certainly get educated on your state laws if you don't know.

OK used to have a safety inspection program and part of that test was to see if your OEM CAT vehicle still had a cat. It was a VISUAL ONLY test, so as long as you had a CAT on the truck it passed. Didn't matter that guys had dual exhaust, and that an empty cat was slid over a straight pipe before the muffler and tack welded on each end in place. The test was does it have a CAT? Yes !!! Pass !!! This is one of the biggest reasons the OK Gubment voted out the Safety Inspection. It was pretty much useless and easy to get around. Now we have nothing. See, some politicians do make sense occasionally.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
By the way Tom, Is your truck a C or a K 1/2 ton? C is for 2wd, K is for 4wd. You're prolly just used to seeing C/K trucks, as in a Series of trucks which is Pick Ups, Burbs and Blazer/Jimmy. G is Vans, P is Step Vans etc. In 87 the pick ups went from C to R and K to V for R/V series. This was done so that the new body style in 88 could keep the C/K series and the R and V designated the old body style. So, 87-91 Pickups, Burbs, Blazers, Jimmy, Crew Cabs and Cab and Chassis in the Squarebody style are R or V's.

flatford39

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
By the way Tom, Is your truck a C or a K 1/2 ton? C is for 2wd, K is for 4wd. You're prolly just used to seeing C/K trucks, as in a Series of trucks which is Pick Ups, Burbs and Blazer/Jimmy. G is Vans, P is Step Vans etc. In 87 the pick ups went from C to R and K to V for R/V series. This was done so that the new body style in 88 could keep the C/K series and the R and V designated the old body style. So, 87-91 Pickups, Burbs, Blazers, Jimmy, Crew Cabs and Cab and Chassis in the Squarebody style are R or V's.

It's a K. 4 wheel drive.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's a K. 4 wheel drive.

Cool. I'll update your 2500 to be K2500. This is good for other members to be able to see when you're asking for help or talking about your truck.

80 is a great year to have a 4x4. Only year that got Spicer lock out hubs, and the only year that half and 3/4 tons also got the NP205 Transfer case. Another 80 only option, even though it's a single round eye truck, in 80 you could get single square headlights.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yup, we need pichers. And now I'm wondering, is it an 80 or a 79? Title says 80, Member info says 79. :shrug:

flatford39

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
It's an 80 and has single rectangular headlights. I see the confusion now. This vehicle is not the vehicle in my profile. This one is a K10. The one in my profile is a 79 K2500.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's an 80 and has single rectangular headlights. I see the confusion now. This vehicle is not the vehicle in my profile. This one is a K10. The one in my profile is a 79 K2500.

Sorry for the confusion.

Cool !!! Nothing wrong with having 2 squares. So you have all the 1980 model only features all in 1 truck. Spicer Hubs if they are still OEM, NP205 in a 3/4 ton and the rectangle single headlights in a round eye grill. Yep, we need pichers for sure. :waytogo:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85