1979 Trans Am - 25 years in a garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I've seen Oldsmobiles with blue. It could have been that "corporate" thing, but they were usually either red, blue or gold.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
My original '64 326ci was that blue.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I figured so, just some ppl have their own likes and dislikes figured I'd ask.

It's kind of like the old fram filter thing, most hate them and say they are junk, we ran em for years never had any problems. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missin anything.

I also agree on the cam, I just hear the olds guy s on fb forums all the time going on about adjustable valvetrain and what not and most seem to say when I asked if you stayed under .500 lift then shouldn't really need it, but to check pushrod length.

I want a rumpity rump cam, but I'm not looking to dump alot into valvetrain if the rest is mostly stock. I'd rather do that if I were like doing flat tops and or like ported and polished as well as shaved like big olds heads or doing aftermarket ones.

Yup, we've been skimming the same pages lol. I decided a while back after seeing how much it is to build a strong, reliable, fast Olds motor that I just wanted stock reliability, a lumpy cam, long tubes, and some dual chamber mufflers to top it all off.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I wasn't sure if that was the corp blue or not. It's been a couple decades since I've seen a block that still wore it's original color. Now that you mention though, Pontiac had a light metallic blue, didn't they?

They had at least 2 colors/shades I think. But I'm far from knowledgeable on it.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Quarantine progress!

Rockauto is open so I decided to check on the rear brakes. Found no hard lines to the drums (probably due to the rebuilt rear) all other brake hardware is new. Gonna order new cylinders anyway, not gonna trust 20+ year old things that have been sitting.

Also found no rear sway bar but the provision for one is there. Speedway motors makes a nice looking kit to add a rear sway bar to F body's so I'm going to order that up. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1970-1981-GM-F-Body-Rear-Sway-Bar-Kit-1-Inch,104536.html

Next up was the engine mounts. When I removed the engine I didnt wanna fight the mounts out on the dirt. Glad I waited cuz they were a little tedious. Cant imagine doing that job with the front clip on and the engine in. Flare nut wrench for the top two bolts on the passenger side through access holes. All other bolts with a swivel and combination of extensions.

New mounts are in and I sprayed a little bit of rust o leum rust reformer on the inner rails of the subframe. Had a little bit of surface rust, really the only part of the car that has a bit of rust.

Next up is getting her up on jack stands after I replace the axle seal on my tractor. Once shes up on stands I'm going to go through the brake system and order whats needed. I'm tempted to order a new booster and master just for looks alone but I know some of the remans can be hit and miss. So I'm going to get the system sealed up and see if it holds vacuum.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Nice to see you have a proper shop now. I bet you don't miss laying on plywood in your back yard!

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Nice to see you have a proper shop now. I bet you don't miss laying on plywood in your back yard!

Thanks. So glad, and thankful! I actually started the job yesterday and was just ***** footing along. After I came in and sat down I told my wife what I was doing and that I had left the tools I needed on the floor so I can just dive in next time. Besides not working on the cold dirt not having to pack the whole job up everytime i finish is awesome.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Crispy, you are my hero.

I have been checking out your build threads, and you seem to be bringing back every single vehicle I "Came of Age" in.

My HS girlfriend traded in her bright-yellow AMC Pacer (!) for a silver IROC-Z28 when she graduated. (She was 18, I was 15, I surely had never heard the word "statutory" God damn I certainly would not have cared...)

That car featured an Alpine cassette deck and amplifier that was absolutley 100% stolen, that her older brother had installed for his lil' sis' during one of his infrequent trips home from the penitentiary in Marion, IL

I have more memories of that car but I don't want to hijack your cool build thread The rest will be in the "Conversation" thread.

I wanna see that bad-ass white Z tearing up the road!

--BRetty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84