1974 K10 short bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This may be a stupid question, but I see quite a few of you do a TBI swap, what is the benefit? Better mileage? Performance?

I have a 88 3/4 ton that I am going to be junking (rust bucket, bad tranny, low oil pressure, among other problems), would the TBI off that be worth swapping to my 78?

Well I can tell you that performance isn't one reason...at least not high performance as in HP, etc. I did a TBI swap for better cold weather starting (its on a plow truck) and some mileage benefit. Its an incredibly reliable setup for stockish setups.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I could defiantly use help in the cold start area, this truck is a bear to start when it's cold. Maybe I would be better putting the TBI on my plow truck, and put that carb on the short box. And of course, I can always appreciate better fuel mileage.

Dan Brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
355 (.030 over 350)
The benefit, in my opinion, is better fuel mileage since the fuel is metered better. Not sure how much better mileage you can expect, as you are still, in essence driving a shoe box. The older pickups are not the slipperiest things on the road. I'm not sure that you well get any better performance with the TBI. Yes, I think a switch from your 88 to your 78 would be a benefit. You'll need to get the entire TBI system, to include the ECM, the complete TBI wiring harness, if your 88 is a small block, you can use the intake manifold, unless your 88 is a big block. You can use the intake manifold from your 78, but you'll need a adapter for the TBI unit. I made my own out of 5/16 inch aluminum plate. If both trucks are small blocks, use the 88 intake as it's already made for the TBI unit. You'll need a higher pressure fuel pump, too. The best thing to do is use all the TBI related stuff off the 88, and that will make it simpler. Maybe a better solution would be to swap the entire engine, wiring harness, and fuel pump from the 88. Your 88 probably has the fuel pump in the tank, so swap the tank, too, and, depending on the mileage of the 88, replace the pump with a new one. Not a super hard project, but lots of components related to the TBI must be used. There are books available that will guide you thru the swap, and YouTube could possibly be a good source for information. You are making a non-computer controlled truck into a computer controlled one. Project will be easier if you have a manual transmission. You could swap the electronic transmission from the 88, if it is electronic. Good luck. If you need any help, mines not running yet, but I think I've done everything right so far. If I haven't covered all the bases, there is probably someone else on this site that can help you more.

LDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I like those holley systems they have now. Seems interesting...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrtc