‘84 C20 454 in Nevada

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I still don't understand how an engine swap can raise the price on these sales to an unrealistic amount.
Because so many folks can't or won't work on their own rigs. They buy their toys ready to go. Par for the course now.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Dude stole that truck! I paid more for my '84 and it's almost the twin to this other than having a 305, sport mirrors and a short box lol.
You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah, but a shortbox C10 is more desirable than a long box C20. I'm not one to pay over $5k for a 2wd C20 myself, but to each his own.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah, but a shortbox C10 is more desirable than a long box C20. I'm not one to pay over $5k for a 2wd C20 myself, but to each his own.
I feel the opposite. I had a couple of buddies riding with me in my long bed 84 Sierra Grande.
Both had brand new 85 C10 short bed Silverados, and asked why my truck rode so much better. I told them it's because of the longer wheel base.
So I asked why they bought short beds, and both said because they were cheaper, and if they would've known, they would've bought long beds.

Too much of todays thinking revolves around other people's perception of what is cool.
I like to be able to shut the tailgate with a load of 4'x8' plywood or sheet rock, and when carrying my Motocross bikes.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I feel the opposite. I had a couple of buddies riding with me in my long bed 84 Sierra Grande.
Both had brand new 85 C10 short bed Silverados, and asked why my truck rode so much better. I told them it's because of the longer wheel base.
So I asked why they bought short beds, and both said because they were cheaper, and if they would've known, they would've bought long beds.

Too much of todays thinking revolves around other people's perception of what is cool.
I like to be able to shut the tailgate with a load of 4'x8' plywood or sheet rock, and when carrying my Motocross bikes.
Well, I completely agree with what you said, but if you're wanting a sporty look & resale, the short C10's will generally bring more money. If you want the best riding, best towing truck out there, get a long box dually crew cab! It's like driving a school bus but offers the best of everything, except a sporty look!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Well, I completely agree with what you said, but if you're wanting a sporty look & resale, the short C10's will generally bring more money. If you want the best riding, best towing truck out there, get a long box dually crew cab! It's like driving a school bus but offers the best of everything, except a sporty look!
What do mean not sporty looking? Longbed, wide a$$, dual rear tires, doesn't get any more sporty than that

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
I remember those being somewhat popular, back in the day. I think we had some in the parts store then.... Dad wouldn't use them because he didn't want to drill extra holes in the truck, and make more starting points for rust. His '75 had the factory bed rails and he built cedar bed rails from 2x4s for the two shop trucks.
I don't like drilling holes either, but really like those style of rope hooks.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
That's about normal price. Good for the buyer, as they got it at what it should cost, and not some bloated price because it has an effing LS. I still don't understand how an engine swap can raise the price on these sales to an unrealistic amount.
Im tired of hearing about LS motors. Theres a lot of us that like original stuff. I started a group on Facebook called "All Original Squarebodies", and it now has over 3100 members with original trucks

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Im tired of hearing about LS motors. Theres a lot of us that like original stuff. I started a group on Facebook called "All Original Squarebodies", and it now has over 3100 members with original trucks
Same here. It had its cool factor in the early going, now it's a fad. Would I mind an LS? NOPE, but it would have to come from the factory with it and not be a donor vehicle

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Not to a guy like me.... id rather a longie any day.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! If it's a C, then I'd rather have a shorty myself. I've had my fair share of C lwb's, in fact I've never owned a swb out of over a dozen Chevy trucks, including a few K's. I guess my first truck was a '53 3100 shorty, but that's been the only one. Now, I love me a lwb K-V with a 2-4" lift!

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I agree, I'm kind of a purist myself! Although, I've owned 3-6.0L's and would love that power in my '87!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That sucker has the rope hooks I am unsuccessfully able to find anywhere
Lol, the old bed dent makers?
After welding up the 24 holes left over and fixing the dents, you may as well just wrap ratchet straps over the top of the bed and hook em underneath. They’d cause less damage! Lol

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That was a steal.
No it wasn’t. Would have not fetched that much if not on BaT.
2wd and 3/4 ton kill the value. Nice truck to be sure, but nowhere near a steal for the buyer. They paid full price basically.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Lol, the old bed dent makers?
After welding up the 24 holes left over and fixing the dents, you may as well just wrap ratchet straps over the top of the bed and hook em underneath. They’d cause less damage! Lol
Meh, I don't care. I use my trucks as trucks, not as garage kept trailer queens. When I die, whoever gets the trucks will probably cut them down to short beds, and they can deal with the minor dents, if any at all from the rope hooks. I don't own ratchet straps because I can tie a load in the bed with a single long piece of rope and proper knots. Rope is better for tying up bodies, too...lol...

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
No it wasn’t. Would have not fetched that much if not on BaT.
2wd and 3/4 ton kill the value. Nice truck to be sure, but nowhere near a steal for the buyer. They paid full price basically.
I think it really depends on where you are. Sure B a T brought unnecessary price increase because of the attention but the market is making the prices appreciate in most places. Also, some people look for the 2wd 3/4 ton for lowering purposes and some folks want 2wd larger than 1/2 ton to keep it that way, just like some people actually look for long beds etc...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag