‘83 Blazer fuel sending unit access panel/floor structural support ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I cut the hole in the bed of my ‘83 Blazer to access the fuel sending unit. I’d like to hear ideas on an access panel and structural support for the opening. On one of the Blazers on Merricks Garage YT video there was a nice aftermarket looking hinged door installed but not sure where it came from and again I want strong structural support rigidity around the opening that will handle stepping on it and other weight. Thanks!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Make a patch just like you took out , but an inch and a half wider and longer,center it over the hole secure it with dzus fasteners or sheet metal screws.I can thinknof better,but since you didn't want to drop the tank to repair the sending unit,I doubt you want drop the tank to weld in a door.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Actually, I had cut the hole previously but now the tank is out and would be a good time to incorporate a door and structural support. So, looking for specific ideas on how others went about this.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Pics. Where is the piece you cut out?How nice are you really trying to make this? Will there be anything covering it? It would be simple,if you have the original piece, to cut a piece of sheet metal bigger than the hole,with a door in it an inch smaller than the hole. Weld the patch in place from the bottom ,set the original piece in place from the top,secure as you see fit.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I used 2 matching floor sections, the original one cut from the truck and another larger one from a donor truck. Welded them together for strength and to make a mounting flange.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Have this mod done to my '07 Tahoe as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe