Wipers barley working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Good to see I'm not the 1st one facing this issue! Yesterday my wipers slowed down with every wipe until they finally stopped. Then after couple of.minutes they jumped back to life at full speed. Only to repeat the issue 15 min later. It's like they overheat, stop, trip something, cool down and go back to life. I have the delay module. I could see the voltmeter moving when rotating the stalk into full speed, but they didn't move

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Research time!
I measured voltages & voltage drops accross the wipers system and here are my numbers

Conditions: Dry windshield with a coat of ceramic rain repellent (like a Rainx, different brand), wipers almost stalling, blades chatter, lab power supply set to 13.6 V connected to battery, supplying up to 10 A
All voltages are approximate as they vary with battery voltage, wipier position & speed, etc.

-Voltage between gray and white wires at wiper motor - Fluctuates between 9 and 10 V depending on wiper speed
-Wiper motor +12V (white wire) to alternator +12V post - roughly 0.1 - 0.2 V
-Wiper motor low speed (gray) to body - Almost 3 V
-Voltage drop between black wire and gray wire at the connector under steering wheel: 2 - 2.5 V with delay module, 0.9 - 1.1 V when plugged without the delay module

The above numers tell me that majority of voltage drop comes from a combination of a stalk and a delay module. Wipers are hardly any faster on the HI setting (pink wire).

To get rid of ground wire voltage losses I did a "relay mod" similar to power windows where the original power wire becomes a signal and ground is switched directly. The wipers go slightly faster, but still after couple of dry wipes they slow down until they finally stop. I can even see when the internal protection trips and the motor briefly loses all power, then it restarts. I believe the motor is on it's way out...

Attached: Relay mod for wipers

Attachments

• Relay mod wipers.png
    Relay mod wipers.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 2023-07-30 17.56.34.jpg
    2023-07-30 17.56.34.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
The topic you've linked is awesome! Thank you! I was wondering if the motor can be refurbished at home, knowing that the body is riveted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris