Wipers barley working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Picked up an 86 wiper motor at the yard today.....it barely moved. I started dissasembling it (PITA) and its exactly like the ones I used to rebuild.....besides loads of crud built up, there are 2 half moon magnets - corrosion / glue dissintegrated - totally stuck to and clamped down on the armature. THATS why they dont move.

So much of these things are riveted so disassembly isn't a quick thing, but I am taking loads of pics and will post them - maybe in a new thread? - as a walk through to fixing these things.
I'd like this twice if I could! Glad your doing pics. Ya, I'd do a separate thread - how to thread, please post a link in this thread or tag me in the new one, I wanna be sure not to miss it. I've never been inside one of these, and very interested.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd like this twice if I could! Glad your doing pics. Ya, I'd do a separate thread - how to thread, please post a link in this thread or tag me in the new one, I wanna be sure not to miss it. I've never been inside one of these, and very interested.
Want to get the pics all in order of disassembly and the resto/re-assembly of them as well. Very anxious to see it run.

Really psych'd about this. I'll let you know as soon as pics / new thread is ready. :hat:

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Interesting. Good luck with getting it figured out!
Well, new wiper blades arrived and they made a noticeable difference. Don't stop when the screen is dry or wet now so that's a start. I'm going to run them this winter and see how it goes and if I still have issues then I'll look at getting a lighter spring in the arms

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well, new wiper blades arrived and they made a noticeable difference. Don't stop when the screen is dry or wet now so that's a start. I'm going to run them this winter and see how it goes and if I still have issues then I'll look at getting a lighter spring in the arms
I'm curious what size and brand you went with?

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm making headway with the total rebuild of one. Just waiting on some bushings to arrive and the housings being replated so I can continue on with the step by step.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'm curious what size and brand you went with?
I just purchased through an online store - adwipers.com.au. Blades through this lot are all branded as their own - Adwipers
15" frameless blade
And ordered adaptors to suit the side pin wiper arm as that one is not included with the blades

I ordered through these guys as it was the first place I found that had adaptors to suit the side pin style on my arms - all the local parts stores just had the same generic stuff to only suit common vehicles on the road

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
Picked up an 86 wiper motor at the yard today.....it barely moved. I started dissasembling it (PITA) and its exactly like the ones I used to rebuild.....besides loads of crud built up, there are 2 half moon magnets - corrosion / glue dissintegrated - totally stuck to and clamped down on the armature. THATS why they dont move.

So much of these things are riveted so disassembly isn't a quick thing, but I am taking loads of pics and will post them - maybe in a new thread? - as a walk through to fixing these things.
lmk what thread you put em in i would love to see the process

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
lmk what thread you put em in i would love to see the process
He's working on it and will do a post when done and organized. You know tutorial type threads, take time to create. I've done a couple myself and they are not a quick process, please be patient.

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
He's working on it and will do a post when done and organized. You know tutorial type threads, take time to create. I've done a couple myself and they are not a quick process, please be patient.
Ok I wasn't rushing anybody I can wait.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just a half-update......I have the housings totally stripped and at the platers. Not so much for bling but for anti-corrosion issues. It was a real mess inside (something else I think can be avoided when redoing them).

I'm on it fellas. Working on the early pics ATM....will get a thread up ASAP. :hat:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Just a half-update......I have the housings totally stripped and at the platers. Not so much for bling but for anti-corrosion issues. It was a real mess inside (something else I think can be avoided when redoing them).

I'm on it fellas. Working on the early pics ATM....will get a thread up ASAP. :hat:
Cool, we all be lookin' forward to it!

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
'Nuther 1/2 update....still working on it. The holiday slowed the plater - but got the parts back yesterday and they are awesome. Primed/painted the outer shells today and will start re-assembly tomorrow. Taking plenty of pics - it all just takes awhile to get pics and descriptions that make sense and are in order. Really anxious myself as I have my truck's original that will go under the knife once this one is done.

Also - there are a few pieces that disintegrated from age and I'm finding replacements (and sources).....will list PNs. These weren't meant to be serviceable so much is an improvise-adapt-overcome process. Coming out nice though.

I'll start a whole new thread when its all set. Hopefully in the next few days. Thanks for the patience fellas. :hat:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
'Nuther 1/2 update....still working on it. The holiday slowed the plater - but got the parts back yesterday and they are awesome. Primed/painted the outer shells today and will start re-assembly tomorrow. Taking plenty of pics - it all just takes awhile to get pics and descriptions that make sense and are in order. Really anxious myself as I have my truck's original that will go under the knife once this one is done.

Also - there are a few pieces that disintegrated from age and I'm finding replacements (and sources).....will list PNs. These weren't meant to be serviceable so much is an improvise-adapt-overcome process. Coming out nice though.

I'll start a whole new thread when its all set. Hopefully in the next few days. Thanks for the patience fellas. :hat:
As much as I look forward to your tutorial, having written a few myself, I understand the work and would rather wait the time needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris