Wiper Motor Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Here's one. So I bought a remanned wiper motor for my Caprice, and a new washer pump, which mounts to the wiper motor. Well, the wiper motor works great, except it comes on as soon as the ignition is turned on. I was able to stop the problem if I ensured the ground strap wasn't touching the body. I even painted some RTV on it. However, once everything was tight and buttoned up, it still did the same thing. I did lose one of the motor bolts (the one that goes through the ground strap), and I had to improvise with junk I found laying around. I couldn't even get the washer pump to go. Is this the motor grounding out internally, a worn out column stalk, or should I get a more appropriate bolt for the application?

Jgriggs

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I had a similar problem. In my case I swapped out my wiper switch for purely aesthetic purposes. My switch only had the shaft sticking out without the knob. Didn't like it so grabbed one from a wrecking yard. Just like you describe it worked fine, except that they would come on when key was turned on.
In my case it was that I had intermittent wipers in the truck, but the switch wasn't for intermittent. I swapped back to my switch problem fixed.

Your problem might be the same just from the other side of the fence. Maybe plugged an intermittent wiper motor into a two speed switch or vice versa?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Well, I took special care to buy an intermittent motor unless they screwed me over. I don't know what I did (it's been a while) but I had it opened up to the bare bones, maybe ungrounded, and it worked fine. It's gonna be my long distance daily driver in about a month and a half so I'm trying to perfect it before it's time. Thanks for replying, @Jgriggs

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I had a similar problem. In my case I swapped out my wiper switch for purely aesthetic purposes. My switch only had the shaft sticking out without the knob. Didn't like it so grabbed one from a wrecking yard. Just like you describe it worked fine, except that they would come on when key was turned on.
In my case it was that I had intermittent wipers in the truck, but the switch wasn't for intermittent. I swapped back to my switch problem fixed.

Your problem might be the same just from the other side of the fence. Maybe plugged an intermittent wiper motor into a two speed switch or vice versa?

You were right, buddy. At least I'm almost certain. I exchanged it, and they gave me the correct looking one. The one that I had was a non-intermittent unit, but it had the numbers on the box and the instructions for the intermittent motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigcreek