Wiper Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duckaholic

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 High Sierra
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Hey everybody,

So a few weeks back my wipers just died. Some days they'd work, others they wouldn't or they'd work for 10 mins then die. Figured it might be the wiper motor so I purchased a new one and installed it (connections into the motor were clean). Ran great for about a week then the blades just started getting slower and slower then eventually they just stopped. Now the wipers wont work ever. Thought it might need a new switch so I bought a new one of them and installed it. Nothing. Checked the linkage and it seemed to not be bound up at all. Fuse is good. So i'm lost for what the cause could be. I did notice that I could not manually pull the wiper arms over if the motor was engaged or not. Should I be able to? Only other idea I'd had was to chase the grounds and check all those and all the connections (which i really don't wanna do but might have to). So could there be anything I'm over looking? Also when I push the switch in I can hear the pump turn on but when I go to engage the motor i can't hear it working at all other than a small click every once and a while. Possible I have a dud motor? Is there a way to check that?

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post (1st timer)

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The fact that it worked right before, and it gradually degraded is pretty damning for the motor's case. At least in my mind. That's granted there aren't any electrical problems like a weak battery or alternator in play or some big rat didn't come in and start chewing on wires. If it was a remanned motor, it may be a good idea to take it back and get a new one. Even if you lost or chunked the receipt, they asked for your telephone number so it should be in their computer. I got one from O'Reilly's once, and it worked poorly for a little bit and then died so I took it back and got another one. It did work. Those remanufactured and rebuilt components are a mixed bag. Mr. Jerry may stop by with a troubleshooting chart or some suggestions so I'd wait on that if I were you.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm going to go with a defective New motor too. If you're 100% certain the linkage isn't bound and moves easily and freely, then it's a defective motor. There's not much to a wiper system.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hey everybody,

So a few weeks back my wipers just died. Some days they'd work, others they wouldn't or they'd work for 10 mins then die. Figured it might be the wiper motor so I purchased a new one and installed it (connections into the motor were clean). Ran great for about a week then the blades just started getting slower and slower then eventually they just stopped. Now the wipers wont work ever. Thought it might need a new switch so I bought a new one of them and installed it. Nothing. Checked the linkage and it seemed to not be bound up at all. Fuse is good. So i'm lost for what the cause could be. I did notice that I could not manually pull the wiper arms over if the motor was engaged or not. Should I be able to? Only other idea I'd had was to chase the grounds and check all those and all the connections (which i really don't wanna do but might have to). So could there be anything I'm over looking? Also when I push the switch in I can hear the pump turn on but when I go to engage the motor i can't hear it working at all other than a small click every once and a while. Possible I have a dud motor? Is there a way to check that?

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post (1st timer)

Refer to the dwgs below.

1. Get a cheap multimeter or a test lamp. Pull the 3 pin connector from the motor and confirm that there is power to the common brush at terminal 1. That means, check for power at the connector - not the motor. There should be voltage - you can hear the washer pump relay working and it shares that power supply.

2. If power is available, see if you can run the motor locally by providing an independent ground path for the HI/LO brushes. Unless you want to cut into the wires, the connector will still need to be unplugged. You will need to provide power to terminal 1 - as well as a ground for the brush to be tested. Just use alligator clip type test jumpers. Connect 12 volts to the common brush on pin 1 and then ground the pins for both brushes - one at a time.

Do those tests and come back - someone will explain the next steps.

Attachments

• 82 ww.jpg
    82 ww.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 4,647
  • 82 ww dwg.jpg
    82 ww dwg.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 746
Last edited:

Duckaholic

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 High Sierra
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
So after work today I checked the plug with a volt meter and theres good voltage going to the plug. Unfortunately I didn't have the stuff to test the motor by itself. With the previous comments I feel its the motor. I'm hoping to return the current motor and get a replacement in the next couple days. I'll give a report once I get a new one installed. Thanks everybody.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think you're on the right track. Get the motor replaced. BUT.....

With the motor disconnected, do work the linkage real well and make sure it's moving freely and all the joints are in good shape, lube where necessary. Just want to make sure it's not linkage stiff or binding at all making the motor work real hard and burning it self up.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I also agree, it sounds like a crappy reman wiper motor that died.

Duckaholic

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 High Sierra
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
So I got the new motor installed this evening and it...........works........somewhat. The wipers move properly (I did check the linkage and it was nice and smooth, not binding or anything anywhere) however the wipers are wanting to move in the completely wrong area of the windshield. Before putting the wipers on I allowed it to run a few cycles and let it finish at the bottom of its travel before putting the wipers on. However like I said the wipers are still wanting to wipe in the completely wrong area (off the windshield). So my question is, is this just a matter of adjusting that screw on the side of the wiper motor? If so any tips or trick to it? I just dont wanna F up this motor. The first reman wiper motor I put on didn't need any adjustment so I'm just a little new to it. Thanks everybody.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I'm a little bit distracted tonight, but you can still trust me on this one - there is no adjustment screw on these wiper motors. What you are most likely looking at is the cap for one of the brush holders.

Read this, I wrote it awhile ago when I was focused - it might help you:

When you go to reassemble the crank on the motor shaft be SURE that they are indexed to each other correctly. By that I mean, it is important that both the motor and wiper arms are in the fully parked position.

The crank arm can go on the shaft in 2 different positions. If the arm is 180 degrees off from the normal angle, it will suck.

The first time you operate the wipers, the blades/wiper arms will work beautifully - except for the fact that they will park at the top of the windshield. You will have to do the job again.

The wiper arms are easy - just push them down to a point where the blades are almost touching the windshield gasket.

To preset the motor to park position, just plug in the wiring harness connections, turn the switch on and run it for a couple of revolutions. Turn the wiper motor off at the switch and then mate the motor shaft to the crank arm.

It might sound wicked involved, but everything will become obvious as you do the replacement.

Link to the OP:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9566&highlight=linkage

Last edited:

Duckaholic

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 High Sierra
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Ok well I did the above and sure enough it works good! So thank you very much for that. Fingers crossed I have a good motor this time around and it lasts more than a week. Unfortunately though the washer pump just continues to run whenever you activate the wipers. This has always been a problem from the original wiper motor the truck had. Anybody have any ideas on what that would be all about? I thought changing the motor and switch would help but the same issue arises. Turning the wipers on and off doesn't do anything neither does turning the truck right off. Luckily this is lesser of two evils, id rather be able to see than not but its still an annoyance.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Ok well I did the above and sure enough it works good! So thank you very much for that. Fingers crossed I have a good motor this time around and it lasts more than a week. Unfortunately though the washer pump just continues to run whenever you activate the wipers. This has always been a problem from the original wiper motor the truck had. Anybody have any ideas on what that would be all about? I thought changing the motor and switch would help but the same issue arises. Turning the wipers on and off doesn't do anything neither does turning the truck right off. Luckily this is lesser of two evils, id rather be able to see than not but its still an annoyance.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones