will straight pipe work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
if you've followed my last post you already know, but I now have a set of long tube headers (not installed yet(tonight)) and two borla mufflers. the mufflers I got have an offset to center in/out (can be reversed). my question is, does anyone know if on a 74 k10 can I just use straight pipe from the headers to the first hangers (about under the seat) or will I need pipe that has bends in it? I was going to run to a buddys house and weld it all up but would like to be prepared vs surprised when we get under. thanks guys

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Probably going to depend on what your trans crossmember looks like. I would be fairly surprised if you were able to run a completely straight pipe from header to muffler. Crawl underneath a take a quick look, it should give you a pretty good idea if it will clear or not.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Depend what header you have and how low they are also, headers were on mine when I bought it so I don't know what brand they are, but the collectors were aimed down some and the pipes had to have a bend in them.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
dang I drove my car to work today not even thinking. I wish I could run and look underneath it real quick. also on the headers I took some advice from another post and bought these.... http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/69230/10002/-1 .... for the ease of install, because I would be doing it in my driveway... ill see if I can get a buddy to run over and snap some pics for me

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Nice set of headers.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Nice set of headers.

Another guy did an awesome post about how they fit and ease of install and just totally sold me on them... hopefully it all goes as planned

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Another guy did an awesome post about how they fit and ease of install and just totally sold me on them... hopefully it all goes as planned
Hedman has always been good at fitment and installation, used them on a lot of different vehicles and never had an issue.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
that's good to know... not sure if necessary but I will try to snap pics and do a write up as I install tonight... do you have any idea what to torque those studs too?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
that's good to know... not sure if necessary but I will try to snap pics and do a write up as I install tonight... do you have any idea what to torque those studs too?
No I don't but not so tight as to warp the flanges.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
reading up I saw one place said 15-20... but everywhere else says tight then run it 2-3 times and keep checking... well give it a shot!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
With plain new gaskets I snug them up and drive it or a while to get it good and hot, after it cools down I snug them up again and they're good to go.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You may want to look into some locking header bolts too. A buddy of mine back in high school played hell trying to keep the bolts tight on the headers of his big block. You may not need them, but if you do run into a problem of the bolts continually loosening, they are available.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
thanks for the heads up on the locking bolts, maybe not a bad idea just so I don't have to worry about it ever again... for the update though, straight pipe just wont work lol... there is going to have to be at least one or two bends to get around everything... in the mix of a stripped bolt on each side, I was to mad to do a write up and forgot to take pics... definite plus 10 on Irwin extractor sockets btw!!! my advice on these headers is get them! they were almost exactly drop in, with the exception of loosening the starter to slide an inch over... all in all very happy! just don't start up in the garage like I did, header paint smoking off and filling the garage doesn't make the woman very happy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69