Whats the Norm, Slip Yoke Travel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Working on several 4X4 vehicles as of lately and, most of those I have had to literally force the U jounts away from the yokes to pull the drive shaft.
To Me, it seems that when there is possibly a half inch to 3/4 inches of travel in the slip yoke, that is NOT enough.
I`ve been to the machine shop with this question { the only one in town } and they do`nt seem to have an answer for Me either.
I did some horse trading and come up with a, to the rear axle, drive shaft that was missing the yoke, went to the machine shop and the only yoke they had in stock was the long one.
I went to install the drive shaft and had to force the U-joint over the yoke so there was almost no free slip to it.
I took the shaft with the yoke back to have them cut the shaft down and the owner said that He would have in a shorter yoke today and that it would be an inch and 3/8ths shorter and that should give Me enough free slip travel.
Does anyone in the forum have some definite figures on how much slip on a yoke is too much or, too little ???

I`m heading back oft to the machine shop now to do some measuring on how much more room I`ll have with the shorter slip yoke. BBIAB

Mine K20 is stock on the suspension and I have approx. 200 to 300 pounds of excess weight in the box along with a tommy lift mounted to the back end of the box so, I`d guess under 500 pounds of excess weight.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Should be about 4-5 inches of travel I'd guess, whether the slip is in the yoke or the shaft itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k5inAJ