What type of primer to use..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm getting ready to spray my k20 wih primer. None of my panels needed much work so no bare metal. I was suggested to use epoxy primer( in black) but also told that's just for bare metal. What are your guys sugestions and what about doin the truck in rattel can primer?

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah epoxy is what you want as the base coat, then you do the regular primer so you can sand easier. if you dont have any bare metal theres no point in epoxy primer, it is supposed to bond to bare metal the best.

Are you going to paint the truck anytime soon? If you are just gonna run primer, consider painting it with rattle can paint, not primer. The rattle can paint will seal better, I did my 86 with rattle can paint. Looks real good people always think its professional.

You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea but most rattle can paints have to or should be completely removed before real paint.

I would use reg. spray GUN primer and be done with it. or sealer. Sealer is supposed to be for right before paint, but reg primer would work fine.

The epoxy helps keep things from rusting, and I too heard it's over bare metal but then again I also here you do bare metal, epoxy, body work, re epoxy, then block and such etc. seal, and paint.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I thought someone just joined, that was a professional car painter.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I meant if he wasnt goin to paint it anytime soon. Running primer for years is not so good for fresh bodywork

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
but i see guys dp that all the time. hot rods ect.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
thats my plan.. i went back to school for law enforcement and i wont have the money for a long time to give it my final paint job. soo i wana get it sprayed in black primer before the end of october

Boogiedown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
1985/1977
Truck Model
Silverado/c-10
Engine Size
350/350
Ok, if your not going to paint it for a while, them I would sand it with some 180 not to much just to give the primer some to grab and then shoot it with epoxy, it will lay out much smoother and it's thicker for better protection over the years, also most people don't know but if your body work is good you don't even have to sand epoxy you can paint right over it. I do it all the time at work. But that's just how I would do it.

Last edited:

critter2655

Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I'm no professional in painting but ive worked at a local autobody restoration shop for the last 3 years, and have been around it my entire life, my recomendation would to be use a high build 2k epoxy primer surfacer, as longer as there is no major bare metal areas 2k primer builds really thick and you can usually block out alot of small imperfections. another note about 2k primer is that if you dont have a larger tip in your gun it can spray very dry and wont lay out very good. if you have alot of bare metal you need to spot in or coat the entire panel with a self etching primer, but it will not build very thick and is very easy to run when you spray it. I would personally never do a rattle can paint job not that there is anything wrong with. I think the best allternative for you would be to buy a gallon of hotrod black paint from your local pats house/ paint store it usually runs between a 100-125 bucks, hot rod black is a single stage paint (meaning you dont have to clear over top of it) and usally dries flat or semi gloss.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69