What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
When I went to tsc to get a cone for the dog I stopped and looked at the compressors. The 60 gal Dewalt was only 750 bucks. I thought it was closer to 1,000. The 26 gal Dewalt was 500. So the 60 it'll be. The other brand was a little bigger but 1,400 for it. Too steep for me.
They had some “Yellow tagged” equipment in front of TSC the other day. An 80 gal IR disassembled and missing the pressure regulator and a note saying the motor was burnt was listed for $599, I thought for sure I could talk them down a bit because the motor retails for $700.

NOPE…. Not negotiable and all sales final. I laughed and said no thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
dupe

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They had some “Yellow tagged” equipment in front of TSC the other day. An 80 gal IR disassembled and missing the pressure regulator and a note saying the motor was burnt was listed for $599, I thought for sure I could talk them down a bit because the motor retails for $700.

NOPE…. Not negotiable and all sales final. I laughed and said no thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach
The ones TSC sells must be a seconds thing as they are about half what everyone else sells them for. The reviews are either 5 or 1 stars. 5's are guys hysterical with the purtee tank - 1's are all the same: motors lasted 2 months, 30 hrs, etc before failing. Whats better is that IR has very few service centers so 80% of the time they say "we have nothing near you so here's your extended warranty $ back." IR was my brand of choice til I read the reviews and saw several videos on YT talk of the same issues. FWIW....I have a NIB reman'd IR 5HP compressor motor (Made in USA) for cheap if you do go that route.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The ones TSC sells must be a seconds thing as they are about half what everyone else sells them for. The reviews are either 5 or 1 stars. 5's are guys hysterical with the purtee tank - 1's are all the same: motors lasted 2 months, 30 hrs, etc before failing. Whats better is that IR has very few service centers so 80% of the time they say "we have nothing near you so here's your extended warranty $ back." IR was my brand of choice til I read the reviews and saw several videos on YT talk of the same issues. FWIW....I have a NIB reman'd IR 5HP compressor motor (Made in USA) for cheap if you do go that route.

My buddy got about 10 years out of his TSC purchased IR before it burnt up. He may be interested in that if Cal isn't.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The part numbers on the IR stuff sold at Tractor Store actually start with "TS" all the big box stores do the same stuff. Walmart gets TV's made to their spec to reduce cost, Costco will work special packaging or other things to make more profit, etc.

My buddy got about 10 years out of his TSC purchased IR before it burnt up. He may be interested in that if Cal isn't.
I'm guessing the yellow tag specials were a traveling show because they weren't there for long, several compressors, gas power washers, Hydraulic wood splitters were there for about 2 weeks or less then all disappeared at the same time.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
From what I was told by a local electric motor repair shop - what failed was the IR motors and the pressure switches - both chi-com. Wasn't so much junk material as much as a poor design. Guys would buy new US Baldor motors and they would fail within a year because of some proprietary design with the IR setup (?!).

If anyone is interested.....

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/reman-ir-5hp-compressor-motor.40500/

Last edited:

NYSquared

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Tree-Fiddy
New compressor get here tomorrow so to prep i got, new air fittings, 1/2in drive impact, 3/8 dr ratchet, a new set of jack stands, 50ft of Flexzilla, and 2 rubber wheel chocks.

Attachments

• 63487.jpg
    63487.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 36
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 36
  • s-l650.jpg
    s-l650.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 32
  • s-l160087.jpg
    s-l160087.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 32
  • s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    832.2 KB · Views: 29

NYSquared

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Tree-Fiddy
Old lady's gonna throw me out after this one. In my defense; i just took a position as a mechanic for rescue equipment (ie. firetrucks) at a healthy pay raise. I told her it was a "needed" purchase since i need tools for work and home. With any luck she'll talk to me again in a week or so. :cool:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    164 KB · Views: 48

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Old lady's gonna throw me out after this one. In my defense; i just took a position as a mechanic for rescue equipment (ie. firetrucks) at a healthy pay raise. I told her it was a "needed" purchase since i need tools for work and home. With any luck she'll talk to me again in a week or so. :cool:
You just need to tell her "look woman I need this, just deal with it!"

Let us know how that works out for you.... if you can see your key pad...lol

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
You just need to tell her "look woman I need this, just deal with it!
Long ago I finally did just that. She went off for about 3 seconds, interrupted her and said you pay someone to do it next time. She's not said a word directly since except the little nag "everytime he works on something he needs another tool". But she gets the look from me and it doesnt go further lol.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Long ago I finally did just that. She went off for about 3 seconds, interrupted her and said you pay someone to do it next time. She's not said a word directly since except the little nag "everytime he works on something he needs another tool". But she gets the look from me and it doesnt go further lol.
Mines says the exact same **** lolol she likes to say "you're this old and don't have all the tools you need?" I might milk the not paying a shop thing a little bit too much. But I fix everything! Soooo, it is what it is haha

The female mind will never be able to comprehend the logic, or the pain that we feel lol. We all wish all the tools we have were enough, because money. But when something new, cool or needed comes along, it's game over lol