What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SierraClassique

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
5.0L V8
While painting my cab ceiling trim pieces, I applied two layers of 80 mil Kilmat sound deadener and a 10mm closed cell foam insulation to the ceiling- tapering off both materials in thickness towards the sides in order for the trim to fit back up. I had a local upholsterer replace the thick (and sagging) vinyl roof liner with something lighter and more modern- I think it will fight gravity better and it has some mild insulating properties. I have already noticed a huge reduction in sound and heat from all of the above, so it is worth a Saturday to install.

As a bonus, I put some miscellaneous hieroglyphics on the hidden side of the cardboard roof liner to help out whoever is the steward of my Jimmy next (ideally a son or nephew one day). I mapped out and listed information around the stereo and speaker system, LED light bulb conversation, LED spotlight and switch wiring configuration, and paint colors. Probably unnecessary but maybe a fun surprise for someone someday- kind of like when my brother-in-law found a bikini model poster that his uncle put up in the 60s behind a wall in his cabin.
You must be registered for see images attach

While I have you, does anyone have any ideas or recommendations for cooling and quieting the fiberglass roof in the back of my Jimmy? There is no liner or anything, so it basically acts as a broiler in the summer. Not interested in painting it white.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
While painting my cab ceiling trim pieces, I applied two layers of 80 mil Kilmat sound deadener and a 10mm closed cell foam insulation to the ceiling- tapering off both materials in thickness towards the sides in order for the trim to fit back up. I had a local upholsterer replace the thick (and sagging) vinyl roof liner with something lighter and more modern- I think it will fight gravity better and it has some mild insulating properties. I have already noticed a huge reduction in sound and heat from all of the above, so it is worth a Saturday to install.

As a bonus, I put some miscellaneous hieroglyphics on the hidden side of the cardboard roof liner to help out whoever is the steward of my Jimmy next (ideally a son or nephew one day). I mapped out and listed information around the stereo and speaker system, LED light bulb conversation, LED spotlight and switch wiring configuration, and paint colors. Probably unnecessary but maybe a fun surprise for someone someday- kind of like when my brother-in-law found a bikini model poster that his uncle put up in the 60s behind a wall in his cabin.

While I have you, does anyone have any ideas or recommendations for cooling and quieting the fiberglass roof in the back of my Jimmy? There is no liner or anything, so it basically acts as a broiler in the summer. Not interested in painting it white.
You could probably do almost the same thing for the shell. Line it with a single layer of killmat and closed cell foam, then put up a headliner over the top of that just like a suburban would have. You could probably just cut the closed cell foam to size and then attach fabric straight to that, then glue the foam on. It would actually probably fairly easy to do with the shell off and flipped over for ease of access and to give it time to cure fully with pressure on it.

SierraClassique

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
5.0L V8
You could probably do almost the same thing for the shell. Line it with a single layer of killmat and closed cell foam, then put up a headliner over the top of that just like a suburban would have. You could probably just cut the closed cell foam to size and then attach fabric straight to that, then glue the foam on. It would actually probably fairly easy to do with the shell off and flipped over for ease of access and to give it time to cure fully with pressure on it.
That’s a great idea- thank you. Not sure I trust how neat I can make the edges of that since I can’t hide it with trim so I may become a repeat customer with the upholsterer I found.

I need to do something before the Texas summer kicks in, so I will report back sometime soon!

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
After thinking about it and redrawing it 10 times, I took the easy way out.
Now to cover it and I'll be good to go...........
(Cup holder insert is GM Tahoe?, tray is a Tacoma piece. Got both from Amazon)

After thinking about it and redrawing it 10 times, I took the easy way out.
Now to cover it and I'll be good to go...........
(Cup holder insert is GM Tahoe?, tray is a Tacoma piece. Got both from Amazon)

Got back on this and finished the project.
Decided it looked better with the edges rounded off.
Not an award winning effort by any means, but a place to set my Mountain Dew/Dr Pepper and my phone while driving.
Had some interior door panel blue that matched.
Works for me !

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
That’s a great idea- thank you. Not sure I trust how neat I can make the edges of that since I can’t hide it with trim so I may become a repeat customer with the upholsterer I found.

I need to do something before the Texas summer kicks in, so I will report back sometime soon!
Another option might be some Lizard Skin. They make a heat barrier version and it can be spray to a similar appearance to the texture of the factory fiberglass. I believe it can be tinted any color as well

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Got back on this and finished the project.
Decided it looked better with the edges rounded off.
Not an award winning effort by any means, but a place to set my Mountain Dew/Dr Pepper and my phone while driving.
Had some interior door panel blue that matched.
Works for me !

Where there's a will...there's always a way.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Last night I pulled the dash bezel off to fix a crack in it that has bothered me for a long time. It was at a thin piece of the plastic by the stereo. I’ve tried the super glue type stuff, but it would eventually separate again. I used a plastic welder from Harbor Freight that did a great job joining it. A dab of paint & it’s not noticeable anymore. Not to me anyhow.

This morning I got a wild hair & did something I’ve been putting off for a while. The ashtray is an obsolete item now, but USB ports are used for many things. Seems like every time I wanted to use the GOPRO, it was dead & the adapter for the cigarette lighter was AWOL. Or Tina’s phone had low power. I cut a panel from my old traffic sign, drilled a hole for a dual USB charger, & stuck a piece of vinyl on it. Jerked the astray out & mounted the panel using the lighter to hold it in place. Wired to an ignition source, & viola. Not the best install, but it serves my purpose. And the lid will be shut the majority of the time, so it doesn’t have to look pretty.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Last night I pulled the dash bezel off to fix a crack in it that has bothered me for a long time. It was at a thin piece of the plastic by the stereo. I’ve tried the super glue type stuff, but it would eventually separate again. I used a plastic welder from Harbor Freight that did a great job joining it. A dab of paint & it’s not noticeable anymore. Not to me anyhow.

This morning I got a wild hair & did something I’ve been putting off for a while. The ashtray is an obsolete item now, but USB ports are used for many things. Seems like every time I wanted to use the GOPRO, it was dead & the adapter for the cigarette lighter was AWOL. Or Tina’s phone had low power. I cut a panel from my old traffic sign, drilled a hole for a dual USB charger, & stuck a piece of vinyl on it. Jerked the astray out & mounted the panel using the lighter to hold it in place. Wired to an ignition source, & viola. Not the best install, but it serves my purpose. And the lid will be shut the majority of the time, so it doesn’t have to look pretty.

Noted on the usb install!
I like that. Been using a usb cig lighter adapter. But a dedicated install is like #69 now on the to do list for the squares!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not what I’ve done but a here’s what’s I’m gonna do post.
The ole 77.

Goin with these wheelz (yes that’s @Soundmound s truck)

And twice pipes…

Combined with a 2.5-3”/4-5” mild drop.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350

Ashtrays are not obsolete, I use mine for spare change, probably have $6 dollars-worth in there...lol...

Back in 1995 after a trip to Disneyland, my first time going at 25 and my daughter's first time going at 5. Anyhow, on the drive home we were about 3 hours from home, each tank had right around a 1/4 tank, the ash tray had some change. Rolled into a gas station, granted gas prices were normal back then, had around $5 in coins and a couple dollar bills, and that got us home. Old habits are hard to break, so I still put change in my ash tray.

I do like the concealed charge port though.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Not what I’ve done but a here’s what’s I’m gonna do post.
The ole 77.

Goin with these wheelz (yes that’s @Soundmound s truck)

And twice pipes…

Combined with a 2.5-3”/4-5” mild drop.
So, those are side pipes like on a Vette correct?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Busy weekend. Seat got new bottom foam and recovered. Carpet trimmed and 6x9's got installed plus I started reinstalling the air ducts. I might actually get to take it to Classy Chassis next weekend.

6x9's look 2-way and not 3-way? Just curious.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Home made toe checkers. It was @ about 1/2" wider in the front than the back. I set to 1/8" narrower in the front from what I read on here. Sound right?

@HotRodPC I know you put this up, but damn it's been years and probably hard to find. Thoughts? Might have been caster/camber though. Be a nice refresher lol.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Those would be on my short list too. That’ll look the part, especially with the sidepipes. @Grit dog

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
Knocked the pollen off and drove it! Beautiful day. Filled LH tank and took the loooonnnnnggg way to the feed store, eye doc and grocery store. Only had 2 people ask if it was for sale today.....slow day for buyers apparently. :p

To paraphrase a quote from Thomas Edison “Thats the most beautiful truck God has allowed man to create”.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody