What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Hell. Yes!

Mocked up the grille, bezels, bumper and bull bar after the completion of the radiator/rad support. What do we think?

My brother had restored the grille from the Suburban and painted the middle line silver to kind of go for a '76 grille kind of look.

You must be registered for see images attach

Man!! Awesome!!
That looks great man. What a difference. That was one of the first things I did to mine was repaint the grill. Changed its look at lot.
It's really coming along.
I like that you changed your profile pic to go along with it, haha.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Man!! Awesome!!
That looks great man. What a difference. That was one of the first things I did to mine was repaint the grill. Changed its look at lot.
It's really coming along.
I like that you changed your profile pic to go along with it, haha.

exactly! basically the same picture but updated to the new sexy look! Plus i was tired of looking at the Day 1 photo; needed to see something big happen already. Still alot to go, getting it to run would be a HUGE plus. Moved it today and went for 2nd gear, only for a ball of flame to come out of the throttle body! I need to do the spark plugs already and actually get her to purr

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Finally pulled the engine in my truck.

Came out relatively easily.
Going to degrease and pressure wash before I take it apart any more. Should make it easier to work on and paint later.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
exactly! basically the same picture but updated to the new sexy look! Plus i was tired of looking at the Day 1 photo; needed to see something big happen already. Still alot to go, getting it to run would be a HUGE plus. Moved it today and went for 2nd gear, only for a ball of flame to come out of the throttle body! I need to do the spark plugs already and actually get her to purr

Yeah, looks good like that.

Sounds like the timing is off.
Is yours TBI?

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
I had a camp out to collect firewood ... I burn over 8 cords every year ...and one of the brawny guys got sick so I decided to service my transfer case. It was over 20 years ago that it was even looked at, so I figured it was about time!

Uh oh! gold sparkles in the ATF! .... so I took off the rear driveshaft and the rear case for a look-see.

I couldn't see any source for gold sparkles, so I decided to take the whole thing out and throw it on my bench.

As I got down to the High-Low shift fork .. it all came back to me! The last time I was inside my NP208 the Low-High shift fork had burned through the plastic guides and was wearing out on the slider.

That was on a Sunday morning in a shop I worked at and I HAD to be off the hoist by opening on Monday. In a panic, I decided to split some copper tubing and braze it onto the fork, flattening it to fit into the slider groove.

It looked pretty good ... and I'd get a new fork and pads later on ... but somehow I forgot.... until last week.

Trying to remember WHEN I did this repair ... I know my first wife was still alive and IIRC... that was around 1987 or so! 34 years on a "temporary patch job"!

Fast forward to last month and this time I figured I'd just go order a new Low-High shift fork ... uh huh!

They have become unobtanium.....

(Lessee ... hmmmmmmmm 34 years on a quick patch job . .. what are the odds I'd be able to get away with it again? This time .... without the rush to get my K5 off the rack.... so I did it again!)

I split some more copper tubing, hammered and otherwise persuaded it to fit into a u-shape and I rebrazed the ends to the fork forming thick brass pads ... one more time.

I then took a high speed die grinder and fitted the brass brazing blobs to fit into the slider with a small amount of clearance. Using a flat mill bastard, i got them nice and square and put the whole thing back together.

I took it on the next tree-feeling overnight beer and brats party and it worked just fine.

I 4-wheeled it over 18 inch stumps, dragged full trees back to camp to cut them into 55, 6-foot lengths, pulled my 2 axle 8x12 trailer and finally hauled 3 cords of 6 foot logs home.

I had run in 4-Low for miles, grinding up some never blazed pathways and came home at freeway speeds on that repair and it's silent and works just fine.

I can recommend this repair as it's been successful for me for 34 years and I'm hoping for another 34 years again.

In reality, the gold sparkles I saw in the ATF when I drained it, were really a non-problem. The quickie repair 34 years ago was holding just fine and although I know there's no other brass parts in a NP208, and the sparkles had to come from there only ... everything was good enuff for a bunch of years yet.

But I decided to do it all over again and since there are no 1986 Chevy dealers in Montana ... I'll prolly have to cobble and braze up a bunch more parts in the future ... I guess.

Last edited:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Doesn't look like much but I'm hysterical that it is at least beginning to resemble a truck again.

Dolly out - front wheels on. Going to have to take that front bar off and re-adjust the tie rod ends. Right side is in as far as it will go - left side has threads showing. Its close but the wheels still have a touch of that Marty Feldman eyes look from straight on.

Would have had the rear brakes and wheels on but as expected, the fk-ups at FedEx lost the 3rd package in a row. Would be nice if Rock didn't wrap the boxes in tape that advertises just what the filth that work at FedEx will be stealing. Figured they were the best of the 3 (UPS, USPS), but seems it doesn't matter - they're all run and operated by woke 3rd world parasites.

Bilstein? i'm gonna go the same route

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

These are the universals - was one of those things where ORD wanted a WHOLE lotta $ for them. Went to Bilsteins site, got the measurements, figured what I needed and ordered them online from Jegs, Summit, etc. I probably got 1+ shock for free with what I saved.

With the new springs and tires (ones that came on it were 12 ply - hard as a rock), it was a night/day ride difference.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You don't need all that. New standard brake hoses. The original ones lasted 40 years. ( High quality standard hoses)

Hmmm...
I guess I didn't realize you are the one to say what parts go on my truck. When the new hoses you ordered show up at my house, I will get them on asap.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@Green79Scottsdale Seems to me, on your post, you were just looking at stainless hoses. Then you complained about the cost?? I would never tell you or any quality mechanic how to fix their truck. Forget me, by all means put the shinny made in China brake hoses on.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Doesn't look like much but I'm hysterical that it is at least beginning to resemble a truck again.

Dolly out - front wheels on. Going to have to take that front bar off and re-adjust the tie rod ends. Right side is in as far as it will go - left side has threads showing. Its close but the wheels still have a touch of that Marty Feldman eyes look from straight on.

Would have had the rear brakes and wheels on but as expected, the fk-ups at FedEx lost the 3rd package in a row. Would be nice if Rock didn't wrap the boxes in tape that advertises just what the filth that work at FedEx will be stealing. Figured they were the best of the 3 (UPS, USPS), but seems it doesn't matter - they're all run and operated by woke 3rd world parasites.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Well, it now works - kind of.

Not the old switch after all, and the shifter is sloppy so the light can be problematic.

Attachments

• 20210906_165037.jpg
    20210906_165037.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 59

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
got bleach on the front quarter while spraying off mildew on the house. Didn't notice until I was done. Not that its a good paint job, but still I could see it and it looked bad. Polishing compound on a rag and then followed up with a blue scotch brite pad it's pretty much gone. Really not too worried about it.....hopefully paint next spring.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Got everything back on. Pump, fan and shroud.

Used pipe insulation to fill in the gap up top. Lol

Used this on the little hole I poked in the radiator.

Ran it in the driveway until it got to about 205. Then took it for a spin around the block. As driving it started to go back down to 200 or a little less. The puddy seems to hold so far. The insulation held up too at 200+ temp. We'll see how long but. Off to a good start.

This is after I turned it off at about 210* then jumps up after a bit which is expected but dam.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d