What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Quick question on that:
First time pulling an engine out of a square that still has its cab, is it possible the get to the bell housing bolts without pulling the engine and trans together?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Getting my old 305 stripped down after she went kaput.
Almost ready to pull it, just have the engine mounts and the bell housing bolts.
You must be registered for see images attach

Squarebodys sure do make a small block look small, haha.
th350? I would assume if you cant access them, you could lift off the motor mount pads, unbolt the trans mount, just shift it forward, unbolt or start them, then bolt the trans back down? im not expert, but i imagine there is clearance? maybe the floor pan in the cab, pull it up?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Getting my old 305 stripped down after she went kaput.
Almost ready to pull it, just have the engine mounts and the bell housing bolts.

Squarebodys sure do make a small block look small, haha.
Now that I look at it,i may be mistaken but your distributor looks REALLY close to the firewall. is your trans the original, is your motor mounts moved backward>?

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Now that I look at it,i may be mistaken but your distributor looks REALLY close to the firewall. is your trans the original, is your motor mounts moved backward>?

Everything is stock expect the intake, carb, and valve covers.
It has an SM465 manual. I thought about undoing the engine mounts and trans mounts and sliding it all forward, but theres not much room.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Quick question on that:
First time pulling an engine out of a square that still has its cab, is it possible the get to the bell housing bolts without pulling the engine and trans together?

I was able to remove the bolts from automatic attached to a big block to remove the engine. Was it easy? No but it can be done.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Quick question on that:

I was able to remove the bolts from automatic attached to a big block to remove the engine. Was it easy? No but it can be done.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Everything is stock expect the intake, carb, and valve covers.
It has an SM465 manual. I thought about undoing the engine mounts and trans mounts and sliding it all forward, but theres not much room.

Just remove the four bolts that attach the sm465 to the bellhousing, the clutch linkage and other obvious stuff. You will have plenty of room to pull it. Don't forget to support the Trans with a jack or jack stands.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l

@AyWoSch Motors As you can see the transmission is still in it, but we had removed a lot of stuff to get to this point. This is right at the start of my re-build this truck has a sm465/205. The other post I was talking about with the big block removed from a th350 the top bolts were removed from reaching in from the top I had to sit on the motor.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

the four bolts on the bell housing is a good idea I can see that it would be accessible on my sm465

unless I’m seeing things yours looks closer to the firewall?

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Just remove the four bolts that attach the sm465 to the bellhousing, the clutch linkage and other obvious stuff. You will have plenty of room to pull it. Don't forget to support the Trans with a jack or jack stands.

Oh, so your saying itd be easier to unbolt the trans from the bell housing, than it is the bell housing from the engine.
I could go for that. What about hurting the input shaft of the trans? A friend did a similar thing when taking out his, and bent the shaft.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8

the four bolts on the bell housing is a good idea I can see that it would be accessible on my sm465

unless I’m seeing things yours looks closer to the firewall?

No, mine looks just about like that. Theres about 2 fingers width between the valve cover and the firewall, and about 1 finger width between the distributor.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
stripped one bedside of paint, ready for a quick DA with 80 and some epoxy primer.

Heat gun and razor works pretty sweet for removing the paint, and no dust.

Looks familiar! 1 bottle of Mapp gas and 27 razor blades later our truck was stripped! What year are those bed sides? Looks like it peeled down to bare metal and fairly easily. Mine was a different situation as it had 1 repaint probably 30 years ago.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Quick question on that:
Been alotta years, but I've pulled a couple small blocks out of squares, engine only. Upper bellhousing bolts were difficult as I remember, but accessible.

Edit, none were manual trans trucks, all autos.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris