What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
How much do you have your truck lowered? I think it looks good!
Thanks! I bought it this way but have gone back through everything. It’s roughly 4.5/6, 2.5” McGauphys spindles, big block springs with 1 cool cut and an axle flip. I wanna trim another half cool off the front but it sits and rides good as is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
What swap are you doing?

(Here goes my opinion again :D )....those quadrajets are a very badass carb when tuned up properly, but then again I am bias (well I am now, I used to hate them)!!! I had a Holley 6-fiddy on my 455 Rocket Olds, and it did not perform close to that of my re-built quadrajet I had on my Olds 350 Rocket.

My dad knows those carbs inside & out (I still don't get it!!) and he did a full rebuild on the carb for my 350 Rocket that I built up (had that engine in my '80 Olds 2-door Delta 88 Brougham) and holy balls, when he was done it would literally make that tank car rocket! Nothing better than hearing a massive vacuum under the hood with all 4-barrels open singing her American glory and being pressed back into the seat....so once again, he had proven me wrong when I told him quadrajets sucked....

I plan to build a quadrajet (with my dad's assistance, again) for the 455 going in the 76 square, if it performs anything like my 350 did this will be fun as hell!!

Yes I'm pulling that ****** eddy 1406 and putting the Quadrajet level 2 I bought from national carburetor.

I also like the Quadrajet better than the others. The eddy was already on the BB so I left it. It ran good for a few weeks then got rich AF and started fouling plugs and smells of gas really bad.

So it's coming off. I have the adapter plate for it and will be getting put on soon. And you're right about the sucking sound when the back barrels open up. Music to the ears. Lol

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
What swap are you doing?

(Here goes my opinion again :D )....those quadrajets are a very badass carb when tuned up properly, but then again I am bias (well I am now, I used to hate them)!!! I had a Holley 6-fiddy on my 455 Rocket Olds, and it did not perform close to that of my re-built quadrajet I had on my Olds 350 Rocket.

My dad knows those carbs inside & out (I still don't get it!!) and he did a full rebuild on the carb for my 350 Rocket that I built up (had that engine in my '80 Olds 2-door Delta 88 Brougham) and holy balls, when he was done it would literally make that tank car rocket! Nothing better than hearing a massive vacuum under the hood with all 4-barrels open singing her American glory and being pressed back into the seat....so once again, he had proven me wrong when I told him quadrajets sucked....

I plan to build a quadrajet (with my dad's assistance, again) for the 455 going in the 76 square, if it performs anything like my 350 did this will be fun as hell!!
Nothing better than the seat of pants horsepower gains!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks! I bought it this way but have gone back through everything. It’s roughly 4.5/6, 2.5” McGauphys spindles, big block springs with 1 cool cut and an axle flip. I wanna trim another half cool off the front but it sits and rides good as is

Awesome, I put the 4.5/6 kit on my truck and have been dying to know what it's going to look like. It's scattered all over the garage right now though.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Awesome, I put the 4.5/6 kit on my truck and have been dying to know what it's going to look like. It's scattered all over the garage right now though.
You won’t be disappointed. I also have Belltech SP shocks. It rides great. My only complaint is that I wish the rear was a little more controlled. The shocks are mounted in the stock locations and they’re at a pretty steep angle, so they don’t function quite like they should.

I bought shock extenders to get the rears at a better angle only to find out drop shocks are too short lol. Need to get some stock length ones and try again. But I’ve put 6-7k miles on it since re-building the front end and installing these shocks and it’s great, just a little too much travel when hitting big bumps at hwy speed.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Oh man I love that sound!!!! Good choice 82!!!

Even in my dads 78 Suburban Camper special (what a beautiful rig!! Two tone, tan (in center) and white (top & bottom), black tinted windows, lights all along running boards, top lights on windshield visor, custom rolled grill, dual exhaust dumped behind rear tires, 42 inch long glasspacks, non-emissions 454 (he took all that crap off)).....wow I went on a tangent there, sorry guys!!!

Anywhoo....he built the quadrajet for that too for pulling the big camper (he said he did bigger jets all around, something with the pump...blah blah carb blah...whatever language he uses that I am trying to learn myself), and I guess the old trick on some of these also was to flip the air cleaner cover upside-down for more air so he did that too, but holy crap balls you talk about a vacuum sound under the hood, I had never heard one like that baby before!!!! I have also never seen a suburban lightly squat in the rear, with the left front picking up a bit when you nail her to the boards from a dead stop and sounding like all hell was going to break loose. I don't know WTF else he messed with on that engine when he replaced the crank & cam but holy **** that thing was a ride!!!

So, one night I had my buddies with me going to Rochester MN from Zumbrota where we lived, ran it up to about 100 mph on the 4 lane around 9:30 pm one night to get to a game store before they closed (very important ya know, them video games :p ).

On the way home at a stop light I asked the guys if they had ever seen a suburban go sideways and laying rubber and then get pressed into the seats, they all said "whatever, this tank can't do that" and they were laughing at me (I love a challenge :naughty: ).....well we were stopped and waiting to turn left, light turned green so I slowly rolled into the intersection about 8 foot and then hammered it to the floor, that damned thing lit right up (vacuum sound again), we went sideways and I held it to the floor until it straightened out and went it got traction my buddies were laying into the seats saying "holy **** are you kidding me, we thought you were kidding".....the sound of those 42 inch glasspacks was insane, not crackling either, I can't describe it really...

Sorry if this post shouldn't be here, but I have fond memories of the two suburbans my dad owned years back, and I do miss them. Talk of the quadrajet's though brought back some of those memories of me thinking I knew everything until my dad would prove me wrong...

Last edited:

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
How much do you have your truck lowered? I think it looks good!

I have to agree with you, that baby looks beautiful sitting at that stance, its like it was meant to be!! Sweet looking ride, not too low, not too high, but just that "mean" looking stance.

Nice truck!

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I have to agree with you, that baby looks beautiful sitting at that stance, its like it was meant to be!! Sweet looking ride, not too low, not too high, but just that "mean" looking stance.

Nice truck!
Thanks! I agree, the PO did a good job on it. I want the front down another 1/2” or so but not too far

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Oh man I love that sound!!!! Good choice 82!!!

Even in my dads 78 Suburban Camper special (what a beautiful rig!! Two tone, tan (in center) and white (top & bottom), black tinted windows, lights all along running boards, top lights on windshield visor, custom rolled grill, dual exhaust dumped behind rear tires, 42 inch long glasspacks, non-emissions 454 (he took all that crap off)).....wow I went on a tangent there, sorry guys!!!

Anywhoo....he built the quadrajet for that too for pulling the big camper (he said he did bigger jets all around, something with the pump...blah blah carb blah...whatever language he uses that I am trying to learn myself), and I guess the old trick on some of these also was to flip the air cleaner cover upside-down for more air so he did that too, but holy crap balls you talk about a vacuum sound under the hood, I had never heard one like that baby before!!!! I have also never seen a suburban lightly squat in the rear, with the left front picking up a bit when you nail her to the boards from a dead stop and sounding like all hell was going to break loose. I don't know WTF else he messed with on that engine when he replaced the crank & cam but holy **** that thing was a ride!!!

So, one night I had my buddies with me going to Rochester MN from Zumbrota where we lived, ran it up to about 100 mph on the 4 lane around 9:30 pm one night to get to a game store before they closed (very important ya know, them video games :p ).

On the way home at a stop light I asked the guys if they had ever seen a suburban go sideways and laying rubber and then get pressed into the seats, they all said "whatever, this tank can't do that" and they were laughing at me (I love a challenge :naughty: ).....well we were stopped and waiting to turn left, light turned green so I slowly rolled into the intersection about 8 foot and then hammered it to the floor, that damned thing lit right up (vacuum sound again), we went sideways and I held it to the floor until it straightened out and went it got traction my buddies were laying into the seats saying "holy **** are you kidding me, we thought you were kidding".....the sound of those 42 inch glasspacks was insane, not crackling either, I can't describe it really...

Sorry if this post shouldn't be here, but I have fond memories of the two suburbans my dad owned years back, and I do miss them. Talk of the quadrajet's though brought back some of those memories of me thinking I knew everything until my dad would prove me wrong...

Also got my air lid flipped like that too. Lol

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the Quadrajet on the 305 before the BB swap.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Fired her up so she could jump the old lady.

I guess Goldie is a kinky old gal ...

:bleh::boxed::happy175:

5 year old battery in the wifes truck gave up the ghost at the gas station.

First kill for Goldie!

:winner_first_h4h:

Pyrrhic victory, though, cause guess who went home, and who went to Wally World to buy a new battery?

Just paid that card off today, too...

:Violin:

And, who got to install it by trouble light since said wifey did not want to drive the Cobalt in case she needed to go somewhere tomorrow?

Yeah.

:p

Ah.....the Joys and Bliss of Holy Matrimony!!!:cheers:

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
After replacing the water pump and thermostat I put a new radiator in...now it runs at the temp it’s supposed to.

Not to nit pick too much, but I definitely recommend that you install the lower fan shroud to ensure proper cooling

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Not to nit pick too much, but I definitely recommend that you install the lower fan shroud to ensure proper cooling

I believe that's the proper shroud for an 80's 6 cylinder. It was just the top piece. Notice there's no legs dropping down to meet up with a lower half.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
I believe that's the proper shroud for an 80's 6 cylinder. It was just the top piece. Notice there's no legs dropping down to meet up with a lower half.
Thanks for the heads up, I had a 73 I6 3 on the tree no a/c with full shroud. Learned something today!!

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Also got my air lid flipped like that too. Lol

Here's the Quadrajet on the 305 before the BB swap.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sweet!!! That 305 sounds very nice! Love the air cleaner lid flip :favorites37:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave