What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I'm half tempted to fab my own
Small piece of steel
Cut to fit
But that's time consuming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check youtube I seem to remember a vid and the guy had the correct kit to install a modern unit in our old squares. He gave the part # and it came with a jig to correctly cut out the hole and dash bezel.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Check youtube I seem to remember a vid and the guy had the correct kit to install a modern unit in our old squares. He gave the part # and it came with a jig to correctly cut out the hole and dash bezel.
If he has a 1.5 din now then he wouldn't need to cut a hole, just needs a install kit, which would be really easy to look up at crutchfield....

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If he has a 1.5 din now then he wouldn't need to cut a hole, just needs a install kit, which would be really easy to look up at crutchfield....

Don't you have to cut out the sides where the knobs protrude through?

I know mine will only accept stock style stereos with out cutting the dash.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Don't you have to cut out the sides where the knobs protrude through?

I know mine will only accept stock style stereos with out cutting the dash.

The 88+ burbs that i saw in the junkyard had the same 1.5 din delco radio that my first car had (85 pontiac 6000le).i even tried to get the bezel for mine, but the metal underneath is different. If he would just post a pic it would help the speculation

Just like this one
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
Not merely today, but over the past week:

• Installed generic Trico washer pump, as the original (1977) finally packed it in. Zap-strapped to pump motor.
  • Removed washer squirters, cleaned, re-soldered to their brackets, re-installed and re-directed them.
  • Cleaned heater fan blower resistor contacts and now my lower fan speeds work again.

Last edited:

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Removed 208, put in 241. It is complete now even though it isn't in the pic.

New bearings, spiders, gears in rear. Stock 3.42 still, oh well, but at least it is quiet now, so i must of done something right.

Cut muffler off, it was rusted out and not doing anything anyway.
And a few more little things, so many total since starting this project; front brakes, ball joints tierods, front axle u joints, spindle bearings, 1 newer spindle, warn hubs, main driveshaft u joints, all new bearings in rear end, gears, np208->np241 with full rebuild & sonnax rear output retainer, new cluster and speedometer w/trip meter. And I'm sure I'm forgetting more.

And i even drove it for the first time in 5, 6 weeks? Don't even know any more. Steering is tight now, doesn't pull any more, brakes are ok.

To do:
Swap apeedo drive gear, the calc i used was obviously wrong or my new speedometer reads really slow, like 15-20%. Went from 43 or 44t to 42t. So it should read faster right?

2 cluster lights aren't working, they were when i installed it, darn.

Steering wheel cocked to right, so tweak that a bit.

Almost done for now, whew!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418539268471.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418539268471.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 109
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418539801150.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418539801150.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 98
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418539820458.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418539820458.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Installed new wiper motor. Replaced the pcv valve.

Installed new steering gearbox, replaced front and rear tierod ends on center link. Swapped out the steering shafts with one from a 91 Cherokee, no more rag joint. :cool:

wingman50

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L
Replaced my starter yesterday. Put in a new battery that was a little bigger, (bigger is better), that they one it replaced. Pulled on the positive cable to connect the battery which touched the header which burned up the cable and shorter out the starter.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Dropped the starter and pulled the solenoid off so I could properly set the clearance to the flywheel. It had been banging when you hit the key and then sounding rough when turning over, so wanted to get it set right. It's not perfect now, but way better than it was. No more banging. Also moved my main ground from the alternator bracket to the engine block.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
- Clean up the mess called wiring on the truck and found all the missing wiring to the starter.

- Cleaned up the manifolds and put some paint on them

I am going to really have to look deep into the washer pump/wiper motor situation in the truck and figure out what is going on. The wipers work but the pump doesn't turn on.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The 88+ burbs that i saw in the junkyard had the same 1.5 din delco radio that my first car had (85 pontiac 6000le).i even tried to get the bezel for mine, but the metal underneath is different. If he would just post a pic it would help the speculation

Just like this one

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Nope 88-90 are exactly the same as 73-87. That's what I thought. So your saying the hole will accommodate a 1.5 din player cause that is what was installed stock ? In the 88-90 burbs ?

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Nope 88-90 are exactly the same as 73-87. That's what I thought. So your saying the hole will accommodate a 1.5 din player cause that is what was installed stock ? In the 88-90 burbs ?

the trim piece, as seen here is what i tried to buy at the yard before i realized it isn't quite the same. newer burbs vs ours

can't seem to find one with a factory radio still in it, but here is one with an aftermarket deck and the same bezel as the first pic

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well ill be a monkeys uncle! I just learned something lol

Its interesting that the lower part of the bezel protrudes to the passenger side past the top part. Obviously to accommodate the larger deck. That's the corner that always ends up looking like crap when we cut up ours to install a new deck.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
mine was butchered bad from PO, i should see if there are any others available in the yard i was at to get my cluster/tcase. i think there was.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
drove mine to work and back today. so far so good on all new parts. much quieter inside when the window felts are new. drivers side vent window still squeaks a bit, but i didn't replace the rubber on those, just swapped the whole units with ones from a '90 burb.

almost spun out on the ice trying to get onto the interstate. had to stop and lock my hubs drove in 4hi most of the way, 41 miles 1 way. honestly on the ice i prefer my subaru with snow tires.

oh, and i averaged 10mpg between my 35ish miles of slow in town driving breaking in new gears between 2 different trips, probably close to an 1.5 hours of idle time, and bucking a 35mph headwind at 68mph (it wouldnt go faster than that, i blame the weak 305). 10mpg seems pretty good all things considered.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigcreek