Well I'm phukd. Th400 lost 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I'm definitely leaning towards this being a governor issue. Everything seems to point in that direction. I may pull it out and disassemble it for inspection and cleanup, re-gear it and see how it goes. A gear kit is only about $5. A new governor is around $60, but then I'm not entirely sure which one is correct for my application.

Anybody have any idea how to find/replace the governor on a TH400? I thought they were model/setup specific for each vehicle.

There are codes on them that tell you the shift points and stuff, but just get an adjustable one.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
There are codes on them that tell you the shift points and stuff, but just get an adjustable one.

An adjustable governor? I already have an adjustable modulator, is that what you mean?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
sorry no info to help with you 1-2 shift problem.

just wanted to say i read your whole thread and its been very helpful.

im going to be rebuilding a th400 after the 1st of the year and your thread saved me from buying from that company (though they did try to help you out but i dont like waiting on parts personally)

its also given me a lot of info on what i need to do and look out for so thank you for that.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
sorry no info to help with you 1-2 shift problem.

just wanted to say i read your whole thread and its been very helpful.

im going to be rebuilding a th400 after the 1st of the year and your thread saved me from buying from that company (though they did try to help you out but i dont like waiting on parts personally)

its also given me a lot of info on what i need to do and look out for so thank you for that.

I'm glad you found the thread useful. I would not hesitate to use TPUSA again, however I feel that this kit is a better deal as it includes a lot more parts for roughly the same price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THM400-400-TH400-High-Energy-Alto-Deluxe-Transmission-Rebuild-Kit-Level-2/171339034831?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Also, I used the ATSG rebuild manual for my rebuild, supplemented by the B&M rebuild manual (for some of the more "at home" operations where you do not have the "correct" tools) and an extra page or two I found online. All three manuals were readily available in PDF form with a simple Google, here are links:

ATSG TH400 Rebuild Manual PDF:
http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/TH400.pdf

B&M Transkit Rebuild Manual (use only for reference. It is highly recommended you DO NOT use the modifications found in this manual. Only use it for additional reference)
http://files.dpbrands.com/bm/instructions/20229.pdf

Attached to this post are two additional PDF files. The first is a simple exploded diagram, the second is a recommended rear band/reverse servo inspection and setup write-up I found. The ATSG manual does not go into any detail on this subject so I found it helpful.

Additional Notes:

• Watch for the "fretting ring" or "case saver ring" behind the center support. It is important that you use one of these if it is present. The ATSG manual does not reference it during tear-down, but does explain it during rebuild.
  • Inspect your plastic "silencer ring" for damage. It goes between gear sets. Mine was all chewed up, so I had to get a new one. $10 on ebay. I have an extra if anyone needs it too.
  • ABSOLUTELY use a Transgo TH400 1&2 shift improver kit. Summit had the best price I could find on it. I used all parts except the manual-low override valves. The spring/hole size I used is in a previous post. This setup resulted in a not-too-firm shift that I like a lot. Summit had the best price by far: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-400-1-2
  • Take extra care to measure and inspect your governor and it's bore. This is something I did not do and am now paying the price for.
  • Folks seem to complain about getting the center support bolt out (the one behind the valvebody in the case). A 1/4 drive 12-point socket fits very nicely and makes removal and installation simple.
  • Be sure to blow/clean out the existing cooler lines and in-radiator cooler. I added the Hayden after the existing cooler so that I am using both.
  • Definitely get a new torque converter. Stock replacements are cheap on RockAuto.

If you have never rebuilt an auto trans before, the TH400 is a good one to start with. It's really a pretty simple trans. Just take your time, lay out your parts on a table in the order of removal, and stay organized. DO NOT RUSH. The extra time I had due to parts problems allowed me to really study the manuals and do lots of online research about what needs to be done and when. READ READ READ. You should know the manuals front to back before you get started. Always read ahead to make sure you know whats coming.

STAY CLEAN. I bagged all assemblies after they were completed in clean,new garbage bags.

I used two Home Depot 5 gallon buckets with a gallon of low-odor mineral spirits in each for cleaning and rinsing. Clean in the first, rinse in the second.

I chose to soak the bands and the clutch frictions in tranny fluid over night before installation. Some say this is not necessary, but I figured why not? Its free and I had lots of time.

I only needed assembly lube once to hold the thrust washer to the back of the direct drum during installation. I just used vaseline (from the babies. It smelled like flowers lol). I would not waste your money on actual assembly lube, I never needed it. Tranny fluid had enough "stick" to keep everything else in place.

I used Walmart Dex/Merc tranny fluid. At $11 per gallon the price was right. It's made by Pennzoil so it should be good stuff.

Anyway, long post. Hope its helpful for anybody looking to take on this project.

Oh. A couple of handy vidjayos I found on the you-tubs:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Attachments

• TH400 Exploded Diagram.pdf
    398.4 KB · Views: 219
  • Rear Band Adjustment.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 328

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
thansk for that info its even more helpful!

a few of those things ive found already.

is that PDF of the same ATSG manual people pay 30 dollars for? i found it a few days ago and thought this cant be right. for 30 bucks i would hope it had a lot more detail lol.

im glad you compiled this data though extremely helpful.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
thansk for that info its even more helpful!

a few of those things ive found already.

is that PDF of the same ATSG manual people pay 30 dollars for? i found it a few days ago and thought this cant be right. for 30 bucks i would hope it had a lot more detail lol.

im glad you compiled this data though extremely helpful.

I did not buy the $30 manual, but I am assuming it is the same thing. All I know is that the linked PDF got me through the rebuild, along with the other things I posted without too many hiccups.

Maybe if someone else has the printed manual they could verify?

Looking online I can see the printed $30 (or more) version is 78 pages while the pdf I linked to is 96 pages. Also, the printed version appears to be from 1980 while the PDF is from 1999.

I used the PDF and would recommend it to others.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Well that's a whole week of daily driving with zero issues. Fluid is still at the same level and looks/smells good. Trans is shifting well (other than the stupid WoT 1-2 issue). I cannot complain one bit on this rebuild.

I think we have success!!!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Glad to hear.:waytogo:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Very nice!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Awsome to read that:waytogo: although some on here can hear it I can not so I’m forced to just read it :D

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
Glad to hear it seems good to go! Good Job!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67