Water Pump Install - '89 TBI 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Fill her up about 3/4 full with proper antifreeze mixture. I usually leave the radiator cap off and let the motor run, it will start sucking up fuid fast so you have to keep adding fluid as it fills the motor. Have at least 2 gallons on standby and ready to pour.

Eventually the motor starts to heat up and the fludi level begins to stabilize. Again, I keep it a 3/4 full. Eventually the antifreeze begins to expand and will start rising up to the cap opening. Once it starts to spill out I throw the cap on and tighen it and let the engine reach operating temperature and run for about 15 minuts after that to cycle out any air trapped in the motor.

Then I shut the motor down to let it cool and keep a watch on the overflow tank and keep it filled with fluid as the engine cools and draws in fluid from the overflow tank. This can take up to a half hour, and if you put your ear by the radiator cap you can hear the fluid getting sucked into the radiator from the tank.

Once this is done she's good to go, check for any leaks and fill overflow tank to the proper level. :High 5:

Attachments

• IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It's good up to 500*.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I heard alot complaints about it not working as good as the copper tube.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That blue gasket sealant isnt good around heat. I use the sealant thats orange and comes in a copper colored tube.

http://www.permatex.com/products/au...mum_temperature_rtv_silicone_gasket_maker.htm

The blue is fine for many things. If it it wasn't they'd quit selling it years and years ago. You younger guys are a bit lucky. When I first started working on cars in the 80's I don't think RTV was available yet. We had Permatex dries pliabe and Permatex dries hard. That was about it. When you went to do something like a water pump change or intake, you spent more time scrapping the old permatex **** off than you did doing the actual job. RTV Silicone Blue came out first and we thought it the was the best thing since asprin or sliced bread. Then Red came out a few months later. RTV took off and now you can get all kinda differant colors and purposes for the stuff. Thinking of that ****, really makes me feel old.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If it fails on me I'll be in here to bitch about it so I will let you know, lol!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

If you're using RTV blue for Header gaskets, YEP, it'll fail. Even I'll guarentee that.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
WTF? Isn't that a new water pump? Where did you get it? You probably got a lifetime warranty on it, but it sure sucks if you have to change it every fuggin 8 months. :flipthebird: Be sure to let us know where you got that bitch, so we don't go buy one of those.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
probably got it at advance, i am on my third life time warranty on the 87 from them, next one i am buying one from somewhere else

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Those ****-smokers at Advance are trying to tell me their lifetime warranty is only going to cover one replacement from now on, not a lifetime of replacements. I told em we'll see what the attorney general says about that ****, nowhere on any of my recipts or paperwork does it say anything like that. That sux the wp is leaking already man. :(

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yeah, I am pissed off to say the least, I want to throw it through their window with a molotov cocktail following behind it. I got it at Advanced.

Where do you guys buy your pumps? Is there a factory one I can buy, like a AC Delco or something?

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
really pisses me off but all the new ones i see are made in china, i know the one i got from advance looks just like the ones that a1 cardone sells wich are new but china made

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I got one from Autozone and it seems to be fine after a couple years. I feel your pain, I am getting ready to install heater core #2 after 1 year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus