VSS Speedo in Squarebodies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You keep prolonging it and its gonna have the vortec, E trans in it and you KNOW what the price will be then. lol

After talking with retro the ONLY thing that I was concerned about is solved so as soon as the money comes to rebuild the vortec I have its going in ole blue, UNLESS you can find me an 85-87 K20.
You know me and wiring I already have a few different harnesses that are waiting to be modified for the swap and the VCM is waiting to be programed for which ever Trans I decide to use. You dont need no "stand alone controller for either the motor or trans, Or atleast I dont already got all the pin out s of the VCM connectors figured out for which wires stay, move, and delete.

DUDE !!! Give up on Ole Blue !!! Rust Bucket DEEEEELUX !!! I know what you want to accomplish. If you can find you a deal on a long bed K10 Take it. You know me. All my trucks are 3/4 ton except my K10 and K1500. Reason being, its so easy to convert a K10 to K20 its not even funny. Swapping rear springs, pull the 10b or 12b and install a 14b FF, convert your 6 lug front hubs to 8 lugs, all bolt right on parts. No cutting, welding, fabbing. It all bolts in. Why are you stuck on 85-87? Why wouldn't an 84 work for example???

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
DUDE !!! Give up on Ole Blue !!! Rust Bucket DEEEEELUX !!! I know what you want to accomplish. If you can find you a deal on a long bed K10 Take it. You know me. All my trucks are 3/4 ton except my K10 and K1500. Reason being, its so easy to convert a K10 to K20 its not even funny. Swapping rear springs, pull the 10b or 12b and install a 14b FF, convert your 6 lug front hubs to 8 lugs, all bolt right on parts. No cutting, welding, fabbing. It all bolts in. Why are you stuck on 85-87? Why wouldn't an 84 work for example???

Yea yea I know its a rust bucket but to be Honest with you that rust bucket is and will be the best truck I ever own. Not saying I wont sell it just saying its not gonna break my heart to fix it up. My daughter and I have a lot of good memories in that truck.
As far as the 84 goes not really sure the biggest thing I am looking for is the front clip of the 81-87 and It has to have the dimmer switch on the columb I HATE STOMPING ON THE FLOOR oh and the turn signals in the bumper wont work for me. Other then that I am open to years and yea I know I could swap the springs and rear differentials but to be honest you still have a 1/2t frame. I am wanting a WORK truck and a half ton and even the old ones wont suffice, When I say work I mean WORK I have broken frames on 1/2 tones before its not fun

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So 81 and 82 have the turn signals in the bumper, and by 83 the dimmer switch was converted to the multifunction switch at the turn signal, so I say 83-87 is what you're looking for. Hmmmm, need to make sure on the MFS on 83, but by 84 for sure. You got all the same reasons why my trucks are 84 or newer, except this 81 that is gonna be scrapped.
If not mistaken the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton frames are the same in the K10 and K20's.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
So 81 and 82 have the turn signals in the bumper, and by 83 the dimmer switch was converted to the multifunction switch at the turn signal, so I say 83-87 is what you're looking for. Hmmmm, need to make sure on the MFS on 83, but by 84 for sure. You got all the same reasons why my trucks are 84 or newer, except this 81 that is gonna be scrapped.
If not mistaken the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton frames are the same in the K10 and K20's.

I know 83 had it on the floor I owned one of them that was the truck that broke in half. And I do not beleive the frames are the same on 1/2 and 3/4.

I beleive the 84-87 is correct though for some reason i was thinking 85 was first year for dimmer on the columb but it is 84.

SO FIND ME AN 84 K20 and lets work something out.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was just coming to update that. Yes, its 84 is first year for the Multifunction switch and no more smashing the floor board for dimmer switch.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The othe good thing is, 84 and up are going to be 700r4 trucks in the half tons, so the crossmembers and motor mounts for a Vortec 350 and 4L60-E should be a direct bolt in and use the same the driveshaft. But, here is your dilema. For the Tcase, you'll need to go with a NP241C out of a 90-91 Burb or K5 to get the VSS in the Tcase for speedo. You're preffering a pick up right? Not a Burb or K5? K5 won't be cheap anyway. But I have seen a few K20 90-91 Burbs.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
yea its gotta be a truck. (gooseneck)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
yea its gotta be a truck. (gooseneck)

Almost sounding like you want my 85K10. Its already gotta gooseneck installed in it. Half ton though. And it was orignally a 6.2. Which wouldn't matter much since you are going Vortec and 4L80-E and changing the wiring anyway. My intent was to put the 14b FF and 3/4 springs in it, and find a Dana 44 front already set up with 8 lugs for it. Why don't I just drop that truck off for you to practice with. Put me a Vortec 454 and 4L80-E for practice, then I'll let you know how good it does. I'd have to see you waste time on one and it not be what you wanted. Just trying to have your back you know. :happy175:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 85K10Prop.jpg
    85K10Prop.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 266

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Oh ide do the conversion for you. If the truck was a K20 Ide be interested in it. Remember me saying my cousin had a K20 with the 6.2 in it? I guess I need to find out for sure what year it is I might have one located for cheap and not even realize it but cant remember if it is an 83 or if it was an 84

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The othe good thing is, 84 and up are going to be 700r4 trucks in the half tons, so the crossmembers and motor mounts for a Vortec 350 and 4L60-E should be a direct bolt in and use the same the driveshaft. But, here is your dilema. For the Tcase, you'll need to go with a NP241C out of a 90-91 Burb or K5 to get the VSS in the Tcase for speedo. You're preffering a pick up right? Not a Burb or K5? K5 won't be cheap anyway. But I have seen a few K20 90-91 Burbs.
I thought the VSS was in the dash on the speedometer spinner thingy in the back of the guage. All I see on my T-Case is a speedometer cable. I think it is in the dash bro, little sensor with 2 wires on it with one small screw holding it right next to the spinner thing.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I thought the VSS was in the dash on the speedometer spinner thingy in the back of the guage. All I see on my T-Case is a speedometer cable. I think it is in the dash bro, little sensor with 2 wires on it with one small screw holding it right next to the spinner thing.

That's a speed sensor, but it's just for the cruise control mah friend.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That's a speed sensor, but it's just for the cruise control mah friend.
No ****? Hmm. :hmm: So is ther another speed sensor on my truck I haven;t found? I'll have to dig intoo my truck manual over the weekend and check it out if I remember.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
No ****? Hmm. :hmm: So is ther another speed sensor on my truck I haven;t found? I'll have to dig intoo my truck manual over the weekend and check it out if I remember.

Because it's cable, it won't have any other speed sensors. :waytogo:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky