VARMITS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Probably worth verifying but I was told that dryer sheets (like bounce) keep mice away, and found that leaving a bunch of dryer sheets in the interior was a better experience than moth balls.
Smelling like fresh laundry would be better than smelling like Grandma's bat cave.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
You must be registered for see images attach
I was going to mention that option, but she has cats. I wonder if that will work if plugged into a GFI outlet?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Smelling like fresh laundry would be better than smelling like Grandma's bat cave.
Just don't mess it up and end up in a dark room with grandma's "not fresh" laundry.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Peppermint. A $hit-load of peppermint sprayed under the hood; as often as necessary.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Move, lol.

At our last house, the surrounding area was incredibly overpopulated with mice, squirrels and chipmunks. They literally ruined everything. I used a combo of mouse poison and mothballs in every single vehicle that sat for any length of time and it did help greatly. But the little bastards still would make nests everywhere and chew things up.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Only way to control mice is good a good cat. A good cat is one you cannot touch, one that kills to eat, not a house cat that hunts for sport. Rats, Pack Rats require a skunk or pair as they normally are. Or a really good cat that's short of mice, snakes etc...

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I worked with a guy who had a ferret. Awesome little savage. He used it when rabbit hunting to get the rabbits out of the holes. He thought his garage/barn had rats so they barricaded every entrance but one and he and his friend waited with shotguns. Sent the ferret in and the rats exited almost airborn. He said they shot over 40 rats that day. lmao

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Holly, you need better cats.
But now I know why you’re looking at spray on insulation…..
Honestly, considering you drive the truck so infrequently, I’d just remove the temptation…..and not reinstall anything.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Whew - what a mess. Those litte SOBs are so destructive. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Going to try some traps up in the engine area and maybe a catch bucket set up as well as going out and start it and drive it more.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Whew - what a mess. Those litte SOBs are so destructive. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Going to try some traps up in the engine area and maybe a catch bucket set up as well as going out and start it and drive it more.
Yeah if stored outside, it’ll do more good than not, to run it frequently.
Catch bucket is a great idea. But remember to check it more often than you currently start the truck. Rotten Liquid mouse stew is gross!

And get those lazy cats more interested in the truck. Start feeding them at the truck, if you use cat litter, dump some used cat litter around/under the truck. Or if not, give them a litter box under the truck for a while.
And remove the temptation for the mice. Don’t need a hood insulation anyway if it’s just a nuisance.

I found a few mouse turds under the hood of my old Jeep (in the garage but doesn’t get used for months at a time). I folded up an old sleeping bag that was destined for the garbage can, on top of the Jeep. Cat sleeps on the Jeep now. Mouses go bye bye.

Last edited:

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Holly, you need better cats.
But now I know why you’re looking at spray on insulation…..
Honestly, considering you drive the truck so infrequently, I’d just remove the temptation…..and not reinstall anything.
That is what I am thinking. I just want the underside of the hood to look nice. So, if I were to paint the underside of the hood, what would you suggest. Thinking some sort of paint that is heat tolerant, but not like engine paint.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You can paint it with automotive paint, no problem with heat.
May as well match your trucks color!
You must be registered for see images attach

Note this isn’t shiny because it’s just base coat, before clear.

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
An exterminator once told me rodents hate moth balls.
Mothballs work.
But they evaporate quickly and you have to replace them every couple weeks

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
Yeah, except not sure how you keep the moth balls from rolling out.
Find little pans like old tuna cans or you can make them out of aluminum foil. Put a few mothballs in each pan and strategically place them around the engine compartment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76