Value of this truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
My Grandpa is 74 years old, he bought a 2000 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 many years ago when he had his food vending trailer. He has said for years that he's going to give the truck to one of these days. Well, it's getting close to being one of those days, he's not exactly the safest driver in the world. I cant afford 2 trucks for insurance and registration and I don't really need another truck either. What do you guys think this is worth? It has an LS2/6.0 in it and a 3/4 Axle so most likely a 12 bolt. Has GT5 gear ratio code which means 4.11 gears, since its just a 4x4 model no posi or lockers. Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
14 bolt semi-floater rear.

How's the rockers and cab corners? Obviously the bed is whacked. How many miles?

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Look for G80 code also. Limited slip. And it won't be an LS2, it will be an iron block LQ4.

Pa ain't gonna just GIVE it to ya?!

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate

How's the rockers and cab corners? Obviously the bed is whacked. How many miles?
He spent 3,000 just to fix the cab corners and rockers about 4 years ago. 120,000-130,000
Look for G80 code also. Limited slip. And it won't be an LS2, it will be an iron block LQ4.

Pa ain't gonna just GIVE it to ya?!
No G80, I heard that came almost exclusively on Z71s, is that true? Heck if I know. He s but I think I may sell it and give him the Money. My Dad wants to put a plow on it. I just can't afford the insurance and gas for the thing along with my truck, cause you know ill have to do performance things to it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
G80 was an option.

I'd guess it's worth somewhere in the 3k range. They seem to be rapidly dropping in value, unless it's a 6.6 or a 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's thing's been beat the hell. If it's that low on mileage someone may buy it for a donor. LQ4/4L80-E and all the computer and harness.

It's not that it can't be put back together if someone wanted that late model of a truck. Leaving it as is and making a plow truck out of it is certainly another option.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
3k seems about right if those miles are right, it doesnt cost anything for it to stored. IF there is one thing I have learned from being on these kinds of message boards is that people always regret not keeping their family members vehicles after they are gone. They spend lots of money tracking them down and buying them back. Keep it put it in a lean to on the side of a barn/garage and revisit the truck later.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
That's thing's been beat the hell. If it's that low on mileage someone may buy it for a donor. LQ4/4L80-E and all the computer and harness.

It's not that it can't be put back together if someone wanted that late model of a truck. Leaving it as is and making a plow truck out of it is certainly another option.
My dad has been really thinking about making it a plow truck.
I really don't want to sell it we just can't afford to have it right now.
Thanks for the replies.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
My dad has been really thinking about making it a plow truck.
I really don't want to sell it we just can't afford to have it right now.
Thanks for the replies.

Why would it be different to make it a plow truck? Its still going to have all the same costs plus the cost of buying/installing a plow. Then it will just sit till winter. Take it, put it, in the back corner of the barn, throw a cover over it and let it sit. If its not being driven it should be covered under home owners insurance in a building. It doesnt need plates to be stored, won't need gas. Its always nice to have a backup vehicle around should you need one.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Why would it be different to make it a plow truck? Its still going to have all the same costs plus the cost of buying/installing a plow. Then it will just sit till winter. Take it, put it, in the back corner of the barn, throw a cover over it and let it sit. If its not being driven it should be covered under home owners insurance in a building. It doesnt need plates to be stored, won't need gas. Its always nice to have a backup vehicle around should you need one.
And maybe someday I can restore it like Square Bodys are restored today, though that truck is nowhere near as sexy as a square.
And we have a horse trailer that we can haul with it on occasion when we need to.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Keep it. Sorry I sold most of mine.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size

My 2000 T400 C2500HD and my 2001 T800 K2500HD have 10.5" Full Floaters. GM used the 9.5" SF axles on the lighter GVW 6 lug trucks.

Pop that dent out of the bed so it's mildly presentable and replace the missing and duct taped handles so it doesn't look like it's been through the mill.
Clean it up inside with Windex and a vacuum so it looks clean and pretty. Basically, make it presentable.
Once that's done... assuming it's not rusted out underneath, everything works, and gramps isn't a smoker... you can probably get 5-6 grand or so for it. Whack a grand off for a smoker truck or it smells moldy. If it stinks I'd be prepared to have a bunch of folks just walk away. Knock off at least $500 if the tires are cracking or oddly worn or just plain worn down.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My 2000 T400 C2500HD and my 2001 T800 K2500HD have 10.5" Full Floaters. GM used the 9.5" SF axles on the lighter GVW 6 lug trucks.

Pop that dent out of the bed so it's mildly presentable and replace the missing and duct taped handles so it doesn't look like it's been through the mill.
Clean it up inside with Windex and a vacuum so it looks clean and pretty. Basically, make it presentable.
Once that's done... assuming it's not rusted out underneath, everything works, and gramps isn't a smoker... you can probably get 5-6 grand or so for it. Whack a grand off for a smoker truck or it smells moldy. If it stinks I'd be prepared to have a bunch of folks just walk away. Knock off at least $500 if the tires are cracking or oddly worn or just plain worn down.

Pretty sure the only 800 style 6-lug trucks that got the 9.5 were the super rare VortecMax trucks and the SS.

Regular 2500's all had the 9.5 with the exception of Avalanches and Burbs with the 8.1 engine, which got the 10.5 axle. A regular 2500 truck was not available with a diesel or big block. 2500HD's got the 10.5 if they had the 6.0 gasser. Duramax and 8.1 trucks got the 11.5 axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69