New from Idaho

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IdahoJOAT

Reaction score
First Name
Rodger
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Howdy all!

I'm a military man since 2005, deployed once. Been married since 2005 as well and have 2 great kids, 15 and 3 yrs old.

Past vehicle highlights:
1966 T-Bird 390.
1989 Ramcharger 318.
1979 Scout II 345.
1971 Scout II 345.
2004 Avalanche 5.3.
2009 Avalanche 6.0.
2020 Jeep JLUR.
Current:
2021 Jeep 4xe.
2005 Silverado DRW crew cab, flat bed.

I've loved square body's for a long time now, and am looking to get one for my son's first vehicle. He's 15, will be 16 in September and is ready to get his license, it's just a matter of making his appointment at the DMV.

Many wonder why I want his first vehicle to be a square body.

He's a fisherman. He loves fishing. Has for years. He's going to be getting a kayak or a boat as soon as he can afford it, and he's gotten into FFA since he's been in high school(sophomore year coming up). And a boy, in my opinion, needs a truck. There's just something about it. Sure he just wants wheels. Sure there's cheaper and more economical options out there. But for his first rig? The one that will always be his FIRST? It should be something kinda cool. Something he can be proud of and think about fondly.

Mine was a 1966 T-Bird. Now my father- well, it wasn't the best first car. Nor situation I was put in when "given" to me. And yet... I still peruse craigslist and Marketplace for a 1966 T-bird. If I could find one? For the right price? Well, I'd probably spend some to get it.

And that's what I want for my son. Something that he'll make memories in. Memories like first drive-in movies. First camping trip. First "holy **** that was close".

And something he can learn in. How to change the oil. How to change plugs. How to do those basic things.

It'll get some dents. He'll have accidents.

And I also hope to not make the mistakes my father did: I don't ever want him to get rid of it. Get married and drive away in it. Keep it in the family. Hold on to it and teach his kids how to drive in it. Make even more memories.

Thank you all for welcoming me(and my family).

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum from Oregon!

When I bought my truck, my then 16 year old proclaimed it was going to be his daily driver.
OK.
But you gotta pay for the gas to run it.
He loves the truck and did many of the things you mention above in it.
Now he is 19 and has informed me that I am to not ever sell it unless it is to him.

This is the first day I brought it home 4 years ago.
He doesn't like when I wanna drive my truck....
You must be registered for see images attach

IdahoJOAT

Reaction score
First Name
Rodger
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So today is a flurry of activiy:

Water pump is going out in Bertha the 2005 DRW. I've got the pump and housing on order from AZ, should be in tomorrow. So tonight is tear down. That said...

I'm going to stop on my way home and look at a 1984 K20 with a 1999 5.7 Vortec in it. Interesting as I read there were no 5.7 Vortecs, only 5.3s... But supposedly it has very little rust and a 3 spd auto and np208 xsfer. Regular cab, brown and tan two-tone, long bed, 4x4.

Seller says the fuel gauge doesn't work, the drivers fuel tank isn't providing fuel. Windshield wipers don't work. AC doesn't work. Drivers door lock is *****/missing. Extra complete door being thrown in to buyer.

I'm excited as it's a clean looking rig from pictures, and if it already has an LS swap? That's a huge plus. AND it's a 3/4 ton, so it can do some heavy lifting around the 2.6 acres we have.

My question is, and I tried finding a better spot to ask but couldn't, is what all should I be looking for?

IdahoJOAT

Reaction score
First Name
Rodger
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well, I don't have pics of the T-bird as this was as digital cameras were becoming a thing, and even then I didn't use one much.

But I scrounged up what it looked like, you know, if the paint had no clear coat on it lol

But the Scouts I have several pics of, to include video on YT "Lil Aloha Idaho".

Attachments

• 1966-Ford-Thunderbird-360-1.jpg
    1966-Ford-Thunderbird-360-1.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 60
  • wmmemorialday068.jpg
    wmmemorialday068.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 54
  • wmsdc17618.jpg
    wmsdc17618.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 56

IdahoJOAT

Reaction score
First Name
Rodger
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
VIN on the K20 I'm looking at: 2GCGK24M7E1184544.

Thanks to a graphic on this forum:
2GC=Canada Chevrolet
G=8001-9000 Hyd Brakes
K=4x4
2=3/4 ton
4=2 door
M=350(has been swapped)
7=Blank
E=1984
1=Oshawa, Ontario

IdahoJOAT

Reaction score
First Name
Rodger
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Love that color on the T-Bird. Known 3 just like it.

You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah, as with all our first cars, I wish I still had it. Knowing what I know now, it would've been fun to replace shocks, really get the fuel system right and just enjoy the hell out of it.

IdahoJOAT

Reaction score
First Name
Rodger
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thank you for warm welcome thus far.

Some questions as I'm reading and researching: this rig I'm going to look at supposedly has a vortec out of a 99 truck. Which then I assume is an L31. He's also stated it has the TH350 and NP208, 4.10 gears. Does that make sense as a legitimate swap? I'm going to look at it here in about an hour.

What else would y'all recommend I look at?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli