Upgraded fan for ac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dwree

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've heard u can get a upgraded fan motor that is out of another type of chevy that makes it blow harder anyone ever done this??

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The one that people use for the upgrade is one out of a '94 truck, I believe. It'd be best to get a new one instead of salvage yard hunting for one of these. That's on the list for mine, too. Are you getting any air on the floor when it's set to MAX or NORM? Also, have you checked to make sure you've got a vacuum line coming off your intake manifold, a check valve that splits off where one side goes to vacuum storage canister (a lot of people call it a ball) and the other side goes to the firewall? Is your truck charging normally when it's running? Also, it may be a good idea to pull the glove compartment and make sure there aren't any leaks in the ducting.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB David. Thread moved from Site News to Interior > Heat & AC.

That vacuum storage canister is also referred to as a Vacuum Amplifier sometimes too.

Yes, some have upgraded to different model fans that move more air.

Many times if you're not safisfied with the amount of air moving the problem is either in your duct work, maybe clogged from a varmit building a nest at one time or another either in the duct work or the air exchanger itself. Could also be duct work has slipped off it's joint and is leaking behind the dash. If you're duct work is clear and in good shape, then you also need to make sure your blend doors are working properly. One of them may be not pulling off or pushing completely. This can happen with a bad vac diaphragm or rotted vac hoses. Some of the blend doors will have 2 diaphragms. One to push the blend door, one to pull the blend door. I'd check all that out first before you spend the cash on a different blower motor that may not help your problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20