Unique turn signal/brake light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty Trails

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Small Block V8
Alright ladies and gentlemen... I developed a lag on my 78 C10's turn signal. Both the parking lamp and side marker lamp on the driver's side blink together very slowly or not at all when the left turn signal is engaged. If the running lights are off, the left turn signal works, but they blink together as I mentioned. In the rear, only the low/running light filament glows, not the brake light. With the parking lights/headlights on, the right turn signal engages properly but the left does nothing. The hazards work, but again in the rear I only see the dim filament blinking. When the hazards are on, the front bulbs blink sequentially like they should. I've replaced all the bulbs, even the tag lights and reverse lights and have checked the front grounds and the ground in the driver's side rear light housing. Ideas?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Alright ladies and gentlemen... I developed a lag on my 78 C10's turn signal. Both the parking lamp and side marker lamp on the driver's side blink together very slowly or not at all when the left turn signal is engaged. If the running lights are off, the left turn signal works, but they blink together as I mentioned. In the rear, only the low/running light filament glows, not the brake light. With the parking lights/headlights on, the right turn signal engages properly but the left does nothing. The hazards work, but again in the rear I only see the dim filament blinking. When the hazards are on, the front bulbs blink sequentially like they should. I've replaced all the bulbs, even the tag lights and reverse lights and have checked the front grounds and the ground in the driver's side rear light housing. Ideas?
Add a ground from the bed to the frame. See if that fixes you up.

Dusty Trails

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Small Block V8
I'll try that bright and early. I appreciate it.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If that doesn't take care of your problem it might be your combination switch in the steering collum. It will make your lights do some crazy stuff.

Dusty Trails

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Small Block V8
@gpmorgan - Yep I have to agree. Not looking forward to that job. Would either of you have a suggestion for my ground location? I was thinking of adding another eyelet and wire to my driver taillight ground. It's a new screw and eyelet and I put it against clean metal.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just clean a spot on the frame or rear bumper support and attach it.

Dusty Trails

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Small Block V8
@gpmorgan - Thanks very much. I'm not seasoned in restoration by any means so your help is really appreciated.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The frame has plenty of holes waiting for a 5/16 bolt.

Dusty Trails

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Small Block V8
@gpmorgan - Less than 40 minutes actually. I live just south of Annapolis at the mouth of the South River into the Chesapeake. Edgewater, otherwise known as Rustville, heh... Well met. You live close by?

Dusty Trails

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Small Block V8
Ope nope you're a Mississippi man. What a drive. Cheers anyways. Ill update you two on whether or not the ground works.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ope nope you're a Mississippi man. What a drive. Cheers anyways. Ill update you two on whether or not the ground works.
I'm an otr truck driver. For the last 6wks I've been in Jessup on Tuesday morning for a delivery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman