Headlights on= No Turns, Headlights off= Turns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haydenh

Reaction score
First Name
Hayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Hello All,

I searched the forum and couldn't find the exact issue my truck is experiencing so I thought I'd start thread to see if I can get some clarity.

1987 V30 with the 6.2 and a service body. The previous owner swapped the incandescent brake/turn signals on the service body to LED replacements but otherwise nothing strange. The issue is: When I turn on my headlights I get no turn signals flashing (front or rear) and my brake lights barely light up when depressed and the turn signal indicators on the dash are both lit up (right brighter than left) but do not flash either. When I turn on just the running lights, I get something similar, except then my left turn signal will flash but it is not lit up like when headlights are on; Right turn doesn't flash and is lit up on the dash.

To me it seems like I might be getting some sort of backfeed from the brake/running light circuit into the turn signals or something like that? Has anyone experienced something similar or does anyone have some possible insight as to what I need to look at closer/ test? Electrical isn't my strong suit like mechanical is, but I can diagnose well enough with a meter/test light.

Any help or advice on where to start looking would be appreciated!

Fuses are all good, the only other electrical that doesn't work on the truck is the interior dome light (new bulb and fuse) and the horn (good fuse).

Thank you in advance!

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I used to see this on euro cars when someone added a side marker turn lamp. Could be a backfeed, but like everything else electrical and 30+ yrs old.....check all your grounds.

Haydenh

Reaction score
First Name
Hayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I used to see this on euro cars when someone added a side marker turn lamp. Could be a backfeed, but like everything else electrical and 30+ yrs old.....check all your grounds.
Will do, I'll double check the grounds and maybe throw another ground from the service body to the frame and light to service body to rule that out or fix the issue. Thank you

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
if the issue is new with the LEDs, try going back to incandescent bulbs.

Haydenh

Reaction score
First Name
Hayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
if the issue is new with the LEDs, try going back to incandescent bulbs.
I wouldn't know if its a new issue or not since the previous owner was the one that installed the LEDs, probably a couple of years ago. I might switch back to the old Incandescent style to see if that solves it since the local Farm supply has the same lights in incandescent for $10/light.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'd first start checking grounds. That half lit lights indicate that some bulbs get connected in series.

Something strange is happening before the circuit even reaches your taillamps. Flashers and brake lights should be separated until you either use a turn signal or turn on hazard lights. In normal position it lets the power from the brake light switch to go to rear lamps only. Any backfeed from taillamp should not go anywhere else, just back through the directional switch to the brake light switch.

I wonder if it isn't an issue within the directional light switch assembly.

Haydenh

Reaction score
First Name
Hayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I'd first start checking grounds. That half lit lights indicate that some bulbs get connected in series.

Something strange is happening before the circuit even reaches your taillamps. Flashers and brake lights should be separated until you either use a turn signal or turn on hazard lights. In normal position it lets the power from the brake light switch to go to rear lamps only. Any backfeed from taillamp should not go anywhere else, just back through the directional switch to the brake light switch.

I wonder if it isn't an issue within the directional light switch assembly.
I am wondering that as well because my turn signal stalk is a little janky. Wipers will turn on with Hi-Beams and don't turn off unless finagled just right. I'll test out some additional grounding on the lights to the body (with some alligator clips) and see if that helps. If not I might be needing to replace my column assembly. I'm going to pickup an NV4500 this weekend so swapping out the Auto column for a manual column might be a good upgrade to go along with that.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did you check the bulbs and sockets. Every light that shows a turn signal also has running lights. (side markers, front park/dir lights, brake lights) Any one of those places the brown wire (running light) could be touching a turn signal wire whether it is a bad bulb or socket. First place I would start is the front park/dir lights.

Last edited:

Haydenh

Reaction score
First Name
Hayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Did you check the bulbs and sockets. Every light that shows a turn signal also has running lights. (side markers, front park/dir lights, brake lights) Any one of those places the brown wire (running light) could be touching a turn signal wire whether it is a bad bulb or socket. First place I would start is the front park/dir lights.
I'll check the fronts to see if there is any crossover. The rears are LED and have a 3 prong insert (not a socket per se) that I can check for crossover on. I'm starting to lean more towards my column having issues over the grounds/bulbs themselves but I'll tear into it over the holidays. Thank you!

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good luck, be sure to let us know what you find. Your issue is definitely strange. 9 times out of 10 light issues are usually a bad socket, ground, or bad/wrong bulb. So everything works correctly until you pull the headlight switch?

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Add a couple grounds especially from core support to chassis

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Haydenh Same-thing is happening to me. I was told it is need for resistance. I switched all the original bulbs to LEDs, and then my turn signals would work very slowly if the lights weren’t on. When I would turn the headlights on, the turn signals would not work to either side. Oh, and the turn signal indicators inside the cab are always slightly on. I added an LED flasher that was grounded and grounded it to the bottom of the dash, but I’m told that is not a good ground. Adding that did make the turn signals flash a little faster with lights off, and now flash very slowly with lights on. I tried a different LED flasher that doesn’t have a ground wire and and it speed up the flashing when the lights were off, but now they are back to not flashing at all when the headlights are on.

Haydenh

Reaction score
First Name
Hayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
@Haydenh Same-thing is happening to me. I was told it is need for resistance. I switched all the original bulbs to LEDs, and then my turn signals would work very slowly if the lights weren’t on. When I would turn the headlights on, the turn signals would not work to either side. Oh, and the turn signal indicators inside the cab are always slightly on. I added an LED flasher that was grounded and grounded it to the bottom of the dash, but I’m told that is not a good ground. Adding that did make the turn signals flash a little faster with lights off, and now flash very slowly with lights on. I tried a different LED flasher that doesn’t have a ground wire and and it speed up the flashing when the lights were off, but now they are back to not flashing at all when the headlights are on.
Interesting, I think I need to switch the rear brake lights back to the incandescent lights. Since its a service body, the Incandescent types are super cheap and plentiful thankfully! I'll maybe give that a go and report back after!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod