Turbo 350 Disassembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Now to remove the rest of the manual valve linkage, which is pretty straight forward and easy to do. I don't think anyone would need pics for that. But after that, this one is ready for the machine shop to be cleaned. My machine shop usually charges me $20 to clean a case. Many times I can get them plenty clean at the car wash for about $2 and I don't have to wait 2 days to start building it if I do that.

So, stay tuned for the buld!!!! I am not yet sure yet, if I'll start another thread for the build, or if I'll just add to this thread. But is now after 6am and time for bed !!! :crazy::crazy: :roflbow:

What about a parts inspection? Are you going to show them the proper ways of checking the worn bearings ect. ect. ect.?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Sorry to Hijack Hotrod please delete if you want.
I would reccomend to youto Find an Old TH350 And completely tear it down, DO NOT BUY ANY New Parts for it just yet.

After you get it torn down completely reverse the procedure and put it ALL back togather, Do that a few times till you think you have it figured out.

Once you get your "own" technique for installing the Lip seals and you feel confident in Dis assembly and reassambly go ahead and actually REbBUILD it.

Oh yea it would also help you to have an ATSG book handy
Yup, hands on experience on a practice piece, that is on my wish list now. :High 5:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Very interesting thread. I'm with 89Sub that it's very intimidating for some reason! I can do almost anything necessary under the hood but for some reason once it starts getting into the tranny I get very intimidated and the same is true when it comes to working on a diff. Maybe it has to do with the gears or something :shrug:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh hell Pops, I'm not deleting anything. Its here to add to too. Do you realize how long it takes to write up something like this? Look at my start and stop time. And I didn't take any breaks.
Fact of the matter is, I skipped alot of stuff jus because its almost impossible to include everthing.
I almost disagree about buying ATSG manuals for newbies. I mean, go ahead and get them, cuz eventually your intent is to be a trans builder and the books are good. But, ATSG manuals are intended for the Transmission Professional, not a newbie, and do not go into detail about many things since its assumed you have basic trans knowledge already. What I do highly recommend for a newbie, is to read the Ron Sesssions TH350 Handbook from beggining to end before you even crack one open. You may not even understand some of it, but read it anyway. Then when you do get to crack one open, some of what you read will already makes sense, then it will come to you. Then when you start your tear down, have the book with you and start going thru it again. Its also about half price of an ATSG manual.
http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Hydra-M...0511/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298909811&sr=8-1

As far as 89S and still not being able to comprehend, don't expect to comprehend it until you start tearing one apart. And if you think this is alot of parts??? Just hold onto your socks brah, cuz all this was is just disassembly. You can easily triple or quadruple these parts once you start tearing down the pump to rebuild it, the valve body to go thru it, and each one of the drums have to be taken apart and seals replaced, and pistons cleaned, pressure plates, steels and clutches to inspect clean and replace along with retainers. I also didn't show hardly any thrust washers or bushings that need inspected, measured and replaced if needed, and sometimes replaced just because. What you see here 89S, isn't half of it, and if you think I'm even kidding, ask Pops. I'm sure he'll agree. All I did here was touch the surface.
Also as Pops points out, his way of removing the pump. That goes without saying. Every builder uses different techniques that they have learned by, or figured out on their own. So there really is no wrong way or right way, provided you don't tear anything up, and the end result is a properly functioning transmission.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And BTW, as far as learning to build a transmisison, I recommend everyone start with a Turbo 350. The only thing simplier to build is a Powerglide. If you can build a Th350, then you can also build a Powerglide. Once you get the TH350 down pretty good, or at least one good one under your belt, do a TH400. A TH400 is just a tad bit more complicated in some areas, a bit easier in others, but the point is, they are differant as night and day, so you'll learn how to adapt basic trans building skills between differant models. A TH400 has a center support, a TH350 does not. First thing you see opening up a T350 if your Intermediate clutches. You don't see intermediate clutches on a TH400 til you get to the center of the transmission. I also have a TH400 build thread too, so you might look at that, and you can see the differences and compare the 2, then you'll know what I am talking about.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Oh hell Pops, I'm not deleting anything. Its here to add to too. Do you realize how long it takes to write up something like this? Look at my start and stop time. And I didn't take any breaks.
Fact of the matter is, I skipped alot of stuff jus because its almost impossible to include everthing.
I almost disagree about buying ATSG manuals for newbies. I mean, go ahead and get them, cuz eventually your intent is to be a trans builder and the books are good. But, ATSG manuals are intended for the Transmission Professional, not a newbie, and do not go into detail about many things since its assumed you have basic trans knowledge already. What I do highly recommend for a newbie, is to read the Ron Sesssions TH350 Handbook from beggining to end before you even crack one open. You may not even understand some of it, but read it anyway. Then when you do get to crack one open, some of what you read will already makes sense, then it will come to you. Then when you start your tear down, have the book with you and start going thru it again. Its also about half price of an ATSG manual.
http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Hydra-M...0511/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298909811&sr=8-1

As far as 89S and still not being able to comprehend, don't expect to comprehend it until you start tearing one apart. And if you think this is alot of parts??? Just hold onto your socks brah, cuz all this was is just disassembly. You can easily triple or quadruple these parts once you start tearing down the pump to rebuild it, the valve body to go thru it, and each one of the drums have to be taken apart and seals replaced, and pistons cleaned, pressure plates, steels and clutches to inspect clean and replace along with retainers. I also didn't show hardly any thrust washers or bushings that need inspected, measured and replaced if needed, and sometimes replaced just because. What you see here 89S, isn't half of it, and if you think I'm even kidding, ask Pops. I'm sure he'll agree. All I did here was touch the surface.
Also as Pops points out, his way of removing the pump. That goes without saying. Every builder uses different techniques that they have learned by, or figured out on their own. So there really is no wrong way or right way, provided you don't tear anything up, and the end result is a properly functioning transmission.

I'm gonna buy that book eventually.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
How about the 700r4?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What about a parts inspection? Are you going to show them the proper ways of checking the worn bearings ect. ect. ect.?

Noway man. I just did all this work here to tease them a bit. If they want to see the build, tear down and inspection process, they'll have to buy my HotRodPC Productions DVD. Teardown, Inspection and Building of the TH350.
$39.95 + $9.95 shipping. But wait, there's more. Order now and you receive a FREE autographed by HotRodPC, poster of a TH350 Exploded View. Only availalble while supplies last.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
And BTW, as far as learning to build a transmisison, I recommend everyone start with a Turbo 350. The only thing simplier to build is a Powerglide. If you can build a Th350, then you can also build a Powerglide. Once you get the TH350 down pretty good, or at least one good one under your belt, do a TH400. A TH400 is just a tad bit more complicated in some areas, a bit easier in others, but the point is, they are differant as night and day, so you'll learn how to adapt basic trans building skills between differant models. A TH400 has a center support, a TH350 does not. First thing you see opening up a T350 if your Intermediate clutches. You don't see intermediate clutches on a TH400 til you get to the center of the transmission. I also have a TH400 build thread too, so you might look at that, and you can see the differences and compare the 2, then you'll know what I am talking about.

What about a 700r4? I have that one thats toast in the 88 1500. I have this book http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/showdetl.cfm?DID=6&Product_ID=3697&CATID=3

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Noway man. I just did all this work here to tease them a bit. If they want to see the build, tear down and inspection process, they'll have to buy my HotRodPC Productions DVD. Teardown, Inspection and Building of the TH350.
$39.95 + $9.95 shipping. But wait, there's more. Order now and you receive a FREE autographed by HotRodPC, poster of a TH350 Exploded View. Only availalble while supplies last.

:happy175:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How about the 700r4?

What about it??? That's even more complicated. That DVD is $59.95 + $9.95 shipping, and you don't get **** with it. No autographed Exploded View Poster. That's an additional $14.95. :happy175:

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What about it??? That's even more complicated. That DVD is $59.95 + $9.95 shipping, and you don't get **** with it. No autographed Exploded View Poster. That's an additional $14.95. :happy175:
:sad72:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
awesome, I needed pics and info, I need to swap the guts out of mine to another case since a chunk of mine is gone. I glued it up and it's not leaking, but never know when it might come back or something.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
awesome, I needed pics and info, I need to swap the guts out of mine to another case since a chunk of mine is gone. I glued it up and it's not leaking, but never know when it might come back or something.

Yep, if you are doing a guts swap and that's all, then this info here is all you need. And if you are certain your donor is good for the low reverse, then you don't even need to pull that piston. Be carefull with your paper gaskets like the valve body and front pump, you can reuse them if you don't tear them. Just be sure to use a torque wrench and torque your bolts to spec. I usually use an inch lb torque wrench. So if it calls for 12ft lbs. Then 12 x 12in = 144 and I'd torque to 150 in. lbs. 6in lbs tighter will not hurt a thing.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I do the same thing. As for gaskets that is what I thought, although I may buy a gasket and seal kit to be sure if I tear anything.

I know the parts/guts I am going to use are good, they are in my 88 and we drive it alot, but the case around the PS cover for the 1-2 accumulator the back end if broke off and leaked. I used some seal all glue on it and seems to have done the truck.

If it starts to leak or I just have the time and want something to do I am going to switch cases, the case is good, came from dad's 84 but the internals suck. it was acting like driving with the brakes on, not really slipping like in neutral just acting like it was loading the motor and revving but not transferring the power. So it's a donor parts trans now.

Another point I was going to make, that musty be the stage one shift kit/HD version since it has 2 check balls left in place. I've put in 2 of those kits and did the stage 2 street/strip version both times, uses the same stacked plate setup but only one check ball. The stage one involves removing the spring from the 1-2 acc. on the side cover too. I never did that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224