Transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDawley

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Truck- 1987 Silverado, 5.7L 700r4 transmission

My truck has 108,000 miles and the transmission has been acting up lately. I have advice from 100 different people with 100 different answers. I am not a mechanic and would love to just get this figured out without having to replace or rebuild the tranny.

First to second is always smooth, 2 to 3 requires high rmp to finally "slam" in to gear, and I can get it into 4th if at high rpm's a let off the throttle for just a second. Normally if I sit by the side of the road and go through all the gears a few times I can get it to act normal again, however the moment I "hot-rod" it the trans starts to act up again.
I have had it flushed but there was no difference.......Any ideas before I drop the money on a rebuild or replacement? Oh and one last thing don't know if it's relevant but I seem to smell gas constantly in the exhaust and when I walk past the hood soon after shutting it off......Thanks

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Welcome Jeremy. HotRod or one of the other trans. guy's should be by soon and will offer up what they think is wrong with the Transmission. You will get good direction here.

JDawley

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Thanks, I have a lot of good intentions for this truck looking forward to showing off pics soon

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
I would start with adjusting the tv cable, on the 700 r4 its not just a kickdown cable. When you had it flushed did that also include a new filter?

JDawley

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
No new filter o the flush, just fresh fluid. Are there specifics on adjusting the tv cable?

JDawley

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I found what I think is the tv cable its about 4-5 inches long and sits just belo my air intake, when I had my daughter step on the gas pedal the cable itself did not move there was some type of slider on it looked like it was cotter pinned. Also the 'cable' pushed into a rubber boot on my firewall, but again didn't look like it was perfoming properly....

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
It sounds like you dont have the right cable. It should go directly between the carb or throttle body and the trans. Never goes into the firewall, that would be the throttle cable.

Here is a pretty good pic, its on a tpi motor and it should go straight across on yours. I this pic it crosses the throttle cable, but the process for adjustment is the same.

Attachments

• imagesCAOBVSPQ.jpg
    imagesCAOBVSPQ.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 160

bfd378

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
350ci
I would suggest a new filter. And check for any shavings in the pan. Might be picking up trash

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
First, check fluid level at normal operating engine temp. Yep, does sound as if it can be a TV cable issue. I'd first get that adjusted properly and/or working properly then retest. See if that makes a difference and corrects the problem.

If not, going to be a more complex issue like a sticky valve in the valve body or worn 3/4 clutch pack.

JDawley

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
The fluid is perfect (refilled with fresh after the flush) I have found the TV cable but do not see how to adjust it at this point, I will keep playing around with it this weekend. At least now I have a better direction to point my mechanic in..... i wonder if I am better off just replacing the cable?

JDawley

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Oddly, today and last night it has been running and shifting like a dream....

JDawley

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
So after a 10 minute trip to wally world, I decide to stop by Autozone and get clarification on the tv cable. The guy showed me where it was and told me how to adjust it, he took the top off my intake and then replaced it after we were through. When I tried to start it all I got was a steady turn over. Then after a few minutes it started up with a big cloud of smoke that the autozone guy told me was from the gas......Now driving like a champ again, is there anything in the fuel delivery systemthat would be causing any of my shifting issues??

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So after a 10 minute trip to wally world, I decide to stop by Autozone and get clarification on the tv cable. The guy showed me where it was and told me how to adjust it, he took the top off my intake and then replaced it after we were through. When I tried to start it all I got was a steady turn over. Then after a few minutes it started up with a big cloud of smoke that the autozone guy told me was from the gas......Now driving like a champ again, is there anything in the fuel delivery systemthat would be causing any of my shifting issues??

Not sure how, but I did have to go look to see what year we're working on, it seems another 87 (TBI) 700r4 had a similar issues. Trans not working so great, fixed something on the motor and trans started working fine. I could see this on a 4L60-E or a Th400 or Th350 that have a Vac Mod, but how a 700r4 does, I've got no clue.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
Maybe the guy at AutoZone got something stuck when he pulled the throttle blades to wot. If it was a carb motor I would say it was flooded but tbi don't work the same way.

"Driving like a champ again" does that mean the shifting problem is gone and the starting issue was a one time thing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man