Toolbox thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That is a nice box for sure. A guy I worked with had the same one and later located the matching top. It is no doubt a focal point of the shop.

I'm trying to decide on a hutch or side locker, I really wouldn't mind a place to hang my jackets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Lol, no, kid that started same time as me ordered a two bay matco, I think he paid like 9k for it, has spent probably 30k in tools the last year, and has no idea what half the tools do lol
Now he's got the smallest box at work so we're taking bets on how long until he gets a new one, but he also lives at home and pays for nothing lol

There is also the mooch factor involved.lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Holy ****, almost looks like my place, lol.. :rofl:

Looks alot like mine did. Moving the house wasn't ****. Moving the garage, shed and parts was the pure hell. All my tools, the work benches, cabinetry and shelving was the real PITA. Now it's all packed into my 16 x 40 shop and I can't get to ****.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Looks alot like mine did. Moving the house wasn't ****. Moving the garage, shed and parts was the pure hell. All my tools, the work benches, cabinetry and shelving was the real PITA. Now it's all packed into my 16 x 40 shop and I can't get to ****.

I know the feeling I have been wanting to raise the roof on my garage, hell the top of my bed is like a foot from the bottom of the roof truss. I gotta put the cab on outside. But to store my stuff I have no place to go with it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's what I'm going to have to do. The garage at home had a 8.5 foot ceiling. The shop has 16 foot at his highest point and about 14.5 foot at the lowest so I'm going to have to go higher. I now have my backyard, garage and house all crammed in into the 16x40. I don't even have a path. My plan is to build a 12x16 room at the very back that will be insulated, heat and cooled to be my work area and have a Fridge, Microwave, TV and Boombox in. Going with an 8 ft ceiling, with 8in joists, I"ll deck it and have 12x16 storage of my household items that I won't be using on top, then I'll still have the 28x16 shop area with my shelving going taller too up against the walls, then I hope to be able to pull a truck inside down the center. It has a 12ft x 14ft overhead door so I hate to see it go to waste not being able to pull a truck into to work on.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Holy ****, almost looks like my place, lol.. :rofl:

I have a craftsman stack at home, i took my box from work to dads since is little bitty box was out of room, I figured he'd enjoy the roller bearings instead of the bottom of the barrel craftsman he got for Christmas a few years back, it is quite flimsy

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've totally outgrown my boxes. I'd like to get one big box to hold all my tools but that'll cost me a fortune. If my financial state, health issues, age, I don't see myself spending a ton on tool storage anymore so I'll likely just end up adding a 3rd Craftsman unit similar to one of the 2 I have already so I can spread out a little to organize and put some of the stuff in it that needs to be in it so I can find it. But, as it is right now, I can't get to none of my tools very easy at all. They're kind of buried atm.

I did take the 20 gallon compressor to my buddy's house so I at least have some air at his house.

Attachments

• toolboxes 001.jpg
    toolboxes 001.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 136
  • toolboxes 002.jpg
    toolboxes 002.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 20galIngersolRand 003.jpg
    20galIngersolRand 003.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 132
  • mancave12.jpg
    mancave12.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 132
  • aircomps 006.jpg
    aircomps 006.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 162

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It appears I'll have to build a new frame for my trans building table. I tore the last one apart long ago, anticipating making a total different table with different dimensions cuz this pan is 6ft x 3ft and I prefered to be 2ft deep. I really wanted to get a mortician's table that was on wheels so I could start a project, push it out of the way, and go back to it later, like when parts showed up in the mail. :shrug: Not gonna happen. I'm back to having to make what I have work. It might be what I want, or how I want it, but I have damn near everything except a 2 post lift.

Attachments

• 69Chevelle 008.jpg
    69Chevelle 008.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 129
  • morticiantable1.jpg
    morticiantable1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 153

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a craftsman stack at home, i took my box from work to dads since is little bitty box was out of room, I figured he'd enjoy the roller bearings instead of the bottom of the barrel craftsman he got for Christmas a few years back, it is quite flimsy

That was my intent, get me something bigger for all my tools that was on roller slide drawers and give one of my smaller units to my son and the other to my daughter or my dad. None of them have tools though. They all come to me for tools and have no interest in getting anything more than the bare basics for themselves. So yeah, all things considered, I'm just likely to add another Craftsman unit like my other 2. Those slides on those boxes work fine so long as you don't weight the drawers down to bad, and it's only the deep drawers I have to worry about, like the one that has my 3/4 drive socket set with 1in to 2.5in or so sockets with the big 3/4 drive ratchet and breaker bar. That drawer is pretty heavy and so is the drawer my Air Impacts and Air Ratchets. I'll have to make it work po man style. :flipthebird:

At my age I wasn't going to spend a fortune anyway. I just wanted to go with the US General boxes at HF. Catch them on sale and use a 20% off coupon, they're not bad quality for what I'd use them for. I'm not in and out of every drawer 30 times a day 40-50 hours a week making a living.

Attachments

• USGeneralSet.jpg
    USGeneralSet.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 134

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hell my box has 1 roller drawer the very bottom one.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That was my intent, get me something bigger for all my tools that was on roller slide drawers and give one of my smaller units to my son and the other to my daughter or my dad. None of them have tools though. They all come to me for tools and have no interest in getting anything more than the bare basics for themselves. So yeah, all things considered, I'm just likely to add another Craftsman unit like my other 2. Those slides on those boxes work fine so long as you don't weight the drawers down to bad, and it's only the deep drawers I have to worry about, like the one that has my 3/4 drive socket set with 1in to 2.5in or so sockets with the big 3/4 drive ratchet and breaker bar. That drawer is pretty heavy and so is the drawer my Air Impacts and Air Ratchets. I'll have to make it work po man style. :flipthebird:

At my age I wasn't going to spend a fortune anyway. I just wanted to go with the US General boxes at HF. Catch them on sale and use a 20% off coupon, they're not bad quality for what I'd use them for. I'm not in and out of every drawer 30 times a day 40-50 hours a week making a living.

Being 22 I've bought my house and truck already, I needed this for work, I think it's a little funny I'm giving my dad a bigger box like you would give your kids lol
I looked at the 72" from hf but i didn't want a credit card payment being that much

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have a very minimal set up. Most of my tools originated when living in apartments and doing engine swaps in the parking lots, so everything had to be portable to cary closer to the vehicle. Have three small tool boxes circa 1964, and couple of seperate boxes, one with sockets/ratchets and other one with the rest of the tools. And been through 4-5 different air compressors, from small to large and back to small. Do not need a large one for once in a while use. And also have a large spinnng rack. Here are some pictures as setting the garage up after moving.
You must be registered for see images attach

Have a small roller thing that I can put a socket set on when working.

And following is how it used to be done up to until now.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

I got the exact same one, got it on a weekend special for $600 all roller bearings, sold all my old Craftsman **** for $500 that was less than half the size, lol..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d