Timing and Dieseling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Im not sure about the oil pressure because the gauge reads pegged at 60. I dont believe the gauge is bad either since it moves when i turn the key to acc. Ive been told I have a high volume or high pressure pump or something like that.. another issue to look at.

Regarding the timing terms. Im sure were talking about the same thing but confusing time and distance. Advancing the time means the spark fires earlier in the compression cycle (farther from TDC on HB and in cylinder), while retarding the time means it fires closer to the completion of the compression cycle.

Advance away from TDC (earlier spark)
Retard toward TDC (later spark)

That, or Ive gone crazy

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
BTW, when I had about 20" vacuum, it was before I set the time to "12deg" and it was probably running about "50deg" initial mech timing at that point. I quote 12deg because Im not sure if the outer ring is clocked correctly as was mentioned earlier. I quote 50deg for the same reason but also that it was so far advance (counterclockwise on HB) that it was blocked by other accessories and I just could see it.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
Is your timing steady? or does it shift a couple of degrees? If it is not steady, you need to find out why. It could be the balancer, the chain and gears or even the distributer. Many original distributors have worn bushings and can cause problems.

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The timing is consistent when I'm watching it with the light if that's what you mean. I bought a piston stop usually used for chainsaws so that I could find true TDC. I also replaced all spark plugs and wires. I bought a carb rebuild kit for my Holley 4175. Once I have applied all that, I can check the distributor to see if Its aligned with the crankshaft correctly to fire at TDC. Then if it's giving any fits, check the health of that distributor (Delco Remy, should be legit). hopefully that's all under the hood for now (till I get antsy) then it's on to fixing the 'chevy lean'. I think mine is from uneven rear shocks. Will report back.

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Alright, so I finally got around to finding TDC and found that the original mark was off by 26.5°! I'm glad someone mentioned the rubber dampener allowing the outer cast ring to move. I found this using the piston stop. The orange dot is the original mark and the 2 small silver lines are where the piston hit the tool on either side of TDC. Then the long mark is splitting the two. I estimate 13° between each mark for a 7" harmonic balancer.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I removed the carburetor to rebuild and set my engine at TDC on the compression stroke so I can check my distributor next. Then I'll throw on the clean carb and never know which thing made the largest difference. Oh also I'll need a new fuel line..

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
While I'm thinking about it... Look at my plugs! They have been oil fouled and I'm not sure how big the culprit is... :-/

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Summit sells the 73-87 truck steel fuel line if you need a new one.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’m sure there is for ease of installation, and it’s probably not bad. I know that the solid one isn’t going to succumb to vapor lock issues because there’s only one routing for it, and it’s a tried and true setup. That’s why I’d go with that one.

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
New tag should help

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I just run a braided line in it's place, it don't have anything to do with vapor lock, you should have a return of the pump anyways..

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just run a braided line in it's place, it don't have anything to do with vapor lock, you should have a return of the pump anyways..
I like the look of a braided one and it seems easier to install so Im on your side. The only reason Id justify another solid line is that I dont intend to take the carb on and off and wouldnt mind saving $20. I welcome part suggestions.. maybe even with a filter/gage combo.. I like to make sure all my bases are covered if Im going to take the time to replace all this stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69