Time to change valve stem seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty Trails

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Small Block V8
My poor old guy started blowing blue smoke when he fires up. Looks like it's time to replace the seals. I really want to avoid taking off the heads but I don't have easy access to an air compressor to keep pressure in the cylinders. I have an air tank that holds pressure but it's a little puny. What would you fellas (or ladies) do? 'Ppreciate ya.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Have you thought about renting an air compressor from Home Depot or a local equipment renter? If you could do the job within 24 hours, I'd bet you'd come out cheaper than having to buy the whole gasket set and doing all the work to remove the heads. If I didn't have an air compressor, that's what I would do. Even if it cost a little more, I'd do it still just to avoid having to take the heads off. Look up "Home Depot air compressor rental" and see what you find. It costs about $36/day around here. I can't imagine it being much more than that if any. I'll attach the gasket kit that Autozone sells if you decide to go the removal route. Also, if you remove the heads, make sure not to use the front and rear pieces of the intake gasket. Use high temp RTV instead.

http://m.autozone.com/gaskets/head-gasket-set/felpro-head-gasket-set/67028_480023_0?location=

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
My poor old guy started blowing blue smoke when he fires up. Looks like it's time to replace the seals. I really want to avoid taking off the heads but I don't have easy access to an air compressor to keep pressure in the cylinders. I have an air tank that holds pressure but it's a little puny. What would you fellas (or ladies) do? 'Ppreciate ya.
Take out the the plug. Put the piston 1/2 way in the bore. Feed in some wash line size rope in the cylinder. Be sure to leave a tail to pull it out. Then rotate engine to push the rope gently into the valves. As long as it's on compression stroke and both valves are closed.And there you go. And do all 8 like that one at a time. No compressor needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris