Tie rod angle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbenfield

Reaction score
First Name
Gregory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've got a 1948 Chevy COE on a 1978 C30 chassis, it's lowered quite a bit with air suspension. My tie rods are angled up a lot, steering doesn't feel exactly like it should, will it be a problem, is there a fix for this, can the spindle be modified to bolt tie rod from bottom.
You must be registered for see images attach

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Welcome Gregory. That's cool af! Do you have a picture from below? In my estimation, tie rod ends should be relatively level. What does it steer like, or what is it doing weird?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Tie rods should be angled slightly down at rest, and level at mid travel , at full suspension travel angled up. It's a compromise to minimize toe in toe out changes on bumps. My favorite is as much lowering as you can do,do with spindles,that keeps your steering geometry closest to how it was engineered.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
We do need pics. Not just of the suspension, but of the rest of the truck

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
A guy was a Bonneville a few years ago that did that but to a regular cab, cool as heck! That is a gem, plenty of room for the pups! Lov it.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
The tie rod should be the same length and parallel to the lower control arm shaft to ball joint.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The tie rod should be the same length and parallel to the lower control arm shaft to ball joint.

Or close to it anyway. Since the upper arms are shorter, the camber can change slightly over bumps which can effect the tow-in. There's probably math to figure out the best angle to make everything jive and eliminate bump steer, but that's above my level of competence.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Or close to it anyway. Since the upper arms are shorter, the camber can change slightly over bumps which can effect the tow-in. There's probably math to figure out the best angle to make everything jive and eliminate bump steer, but that's above my level of competence.
The front bolt of the two bolts that mount the upper control is slightly higher than the rear bolt. As the upper arm arcs up, a slight amount of caster is added.. This cancels out the effects of the camber/toe change because the tie rod moves it's parallelism with the lower control arm. All this geometry goes out the window when the springs are shortened to accomplish lowering the vehicle or excessive positive caster is added,..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The front bolt of the two bolts that mount the upper control is slightly higher than the rear bolt. As the upper arm arcs up, a slight amount of caster is added.. This cancels out the effects of the camber/toe change because the tie rod moves it's parallelism with the lower control arm. All this geometry goes out the window when the springs are shortened to accomplish lowering the vehicle or excessive positive caster is added,..

Right, and that last part is why there could be a benefit to a slightly different tie rod angle. But like I said, figuring out the best angle to improve the situation is over my head, and will vary by application as well. I just know that the autocross crowd often mess with the tie rod angles on their lowered vehicles to improve or eliminate bump steer.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've talked about tie rod angle, bump steer and geometry changes on lowered vehicles on here. I got treated like I was a Witch so I shut up.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've talked about tie rod angle, bump steer and geometry changes on lowered vehicles on here. I got treated like I was a Witch so I shut up.
I can see that. lol
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe