TH350 shifting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Had the linkage checked, it was fine
And what does fine mean??, you asked if it could be in the column well that's where it starts, start from park pull it to reverse and go under the truck and see if it is fully in the reverse detent, move the lever by hand and if it's snaps then you're not fully in gear, do this with every gear to verify that it's not the linkage, this is easier done with two people..

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Oh well, guess I'm a meanie.. LOL..:D

Sauced

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
And what does fine mean??, you asked if it could be in the column well that's where it starts, start from park pull it to reverse and go under the truck and see if it is fully in the reverse detent, move the lever by hand and if it's snaps then you're not fully in gear, do this with every gear to verify that it's not the linkage, this is easier done with two people..

I had a shop check the linkage. I see what you are saying tho. I will get with someone and try what you were talking about. Interestingly, when I baby the throttle everything is just fine.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I had a shop check the linkage. I see what you are saying tho. I will get with someone and try what you were talking about. Interestingly, when I baby the throttle everything is just fine.
Shop probably just looked under there and see if it was hooked up, lol.. When you baby it there's no flexing, when you get on it things twist and all it takes is something to pull that lever a hair and if you're already a tad off on adjustment that would do it, been down that road before. :D

Sauced

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Shop probably just looked under there and see if it was hooked up, lol.. When you baby it there's no flexing, when you get on it things twist and all it takes is something to pull that lever a hair and if you're already a tad off on adjustment that would do it, been down that road before. :D

I see what your saying. I'll have to get under there myself, the transmission shop said they checked it out but they also put a $135 transmission pan on and it leaks all around the gasket so they obviously don't know what the f*#k they're doing. I try to be decent to people but sometimes.....

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I see what your saying. I'll have to get under there myself, the transmission shop said they checked it out but they also put a $135 transmission pan on and it leaks all around the gasket so they obviously don't know what the f*#k they're doing. I try to be decent to people but sometimes.....
What kind of pan they put on?? :confused:

Sauced

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
What kind of pan they put on?? :confused:

I had them put a TCI transmission pan on. They rebuilt it but put the old pan back on, which was leaking before they rebuilt it. These guys had great reviews all over the place, I have no clue why

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If it's an aluminum pan it shouldn't leak, unless they used a cork gasket then it needs to be snugged up a bit since cork compresses, if it's a POS chrome pan then it needs to come off and the gasket surface sanded with 8grit or it will never seal.

Sauced

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If it's an aluminum pan it shouldn't leak, unless they used a cork gasket then it needs to be snugged up a bit since cork compresses, if it's a POS chrome pan then it needs to come off and the gasket surface sanded with 8grit or it will never seal.

Aluminum pan

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Check the bolts they may need to be snugged up a bit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm