TH350 shifting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sauced

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a TH350 that has been rebuilt twice( don't ask) now it's doing something weird. While driving it will all of a sudden be in 2nd gear without me touching the shifter or the shifter moving. I will have to move the column shifter up to get it back into drive. Fluid and external linkage seem fine. Any ideas?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Your explanation isn't very explanatory buddy, but I think I can figure out what you're saying.

So the shifter is falling into 2nd from Drive? My guess is going to be the valve body bolt that holds the spring detent into the rooster tail may have come loose, or the rolled on the end of the spring is bad. Nonetheless, it's going to require dropping the pan to inspect.

Did you torque the VB bolts? What more common than to loose, is peeps overtighten them and strip them out and they gradually let loose further and further until no threads are left. In this case, you have a spring pulling on the bolt and it gets to loose to hold the correct detent in the rooster tail.

ORRRRRR, could it be a motor or trans mount has gone bad and making the linkage go catty whompus and downshift you into 2nd.??? Check for that first, maybe it'll save a drop of the pan. Good Luck !!!!

Sauced

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Your explanation isn't very explanatory buddy, but I think I can figure out what you're saying.

So the shifter is falling into 2nd from Drive? My guess is going to be the valve body bolt that holds the spring detent into the rooster tail may have come loose, or the rolled on the end of the spring is bad. Nonetheless, it's going to require dropping the pan to inspect.

Did you torque the VB bolts? What more common than to loose, is peeps overtighten them and strip them out and they gradually let loose further and further until no threads are left. In this case, you have a spring pulling on the bolt and it gets to loose to hold the correct detent in the rooster tail.

ORRRRRR, could it be a motor or trans mount has gone bad and making the linkage go catty whompus and downshift you into 2nd.??? Check for that first, maybe it'll save a drop of the pan. Good Luck !!!!

Thanks for your response. To clarify ( my mistake) after the truck has shifted into 3rd gear, without any changes to gas pedal or speed it will drop to second, requiring me to move the column shifter up to a new location to get back into drive. Theres still a warrantee on the rebuild I would like to just find out what the issue is before I take it back so the guy don't bs me. I will check the mounts as you suggested. It really takes you by surprise when you drop into second on the highway!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks for your response. To clarify ( my mistake) after the truck has shifted into 3rd gear, without any changes to gas pedal or speed it will drop to second, requiring me to move the column shifter up to a new location to get back into drive. Theres still a warrantee on the rebuild I would like to just find out what the issue is before I take it back so the guy don't bs me. I will check the mounts as you suggested. It really takes you by surprise when you drop into second on the highway!

Yes, that's a big surprise. So are you saying the linkage drops it into 2nd, or does the transmission keep the D location, but you're able to manipulate it back into 3rd by like going into N and then back to D? It may be possible the detent more well knows as the kickdown valve spring was left out and it's rocking back causing a downshift.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
It really takes you by surprise when you drop into second on the highway!

Haha I like this thread. It reminds me of :

One time, I traded some dude a Fiero for a set of wheels and tires.
It was a 5 speed. 2 8.. Ran and drove fine but I didn't have anything in it...
ANYWAYS!

It was the NEXT DAY , this dude shows back up and tells a story about how he accidentally shifted from 5th to 2nd ON THE HIGHWAY and now his little car was all ****** up. (I bet that was surprising too!)
He wanted to know if I would buy it back from him.

Lmao. Nope. :D

R.I.P. "mini bird"

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
lol that's hilarious. I quickly stopped the car when I realized how different it was.....was a friends Fiero. I said hell no, I'll screw up your car......you drive.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Lol they are unsual rides for sure! I cant remember how i got that little car. My buddy Chuck drove it around for a long time....I had tuned the piss out of it, it was a peppy little dude....I wanted X-11 heads.

I didnt have it for very long at all though, less than one week and I never drove it.....too skeery!
Haha.

I was drivin around an '81 Trans Am with no computer and a 406 in it..
Aint got no time for no Mini Bird!

That's........um........not cool.

Last edited:

Sauced

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes, that's a big surprise. So are you saying the linkage drops it into 2nd, or does the transmission keep the D location, but you're able to manipulate it back into 3rd by like going into N and then back to D? It may be possible the detent more well knows as the kickdown valve spring was left out and it's rocking back causing a downshift.

The transmission seems to drop to 2nd on its own. I have to put the shifter into neutral ( which is now drive so to speak) and leave it there. It drives fine after that. It's been lowered recently and rides a little rougher. A buddy suggested today that the linkage might be off just enough that a decent bump knocks it into 2nd and out of whack with the gear selector on the column.
And as far as being lowered, shes a 2wd shortbed, she looks soooo good with a 3 inch drop all the way around:sorry:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd be checking linkage first thing.

Sauced

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd be checking linkage first thing.

Had linkage checked, all good. Going back to the transmission shop tomorrow for the 3rd time.....

Sauced

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Got the truck back last night and it did it again this morning. Could something be slightly off or worn in the column?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Could be, again check linkage..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member