TH350 Parking Pawl Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clarkdt1992

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 SBC
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace a parking pawl in a TH350 with the transmission still in the truck? If so how would I go about doing this and where could I order replacement parts? I would like to know so that I can order parts before pulling the pan.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace a parking pawl in a TH350 with the transmission still in the truck? If so how would I go about doing this and where could I order replacement parts? I would like to know so that I can order parts before pulling the pan.

@HotRodPC should be able to chime in and help you out. He's our resident transmission guru.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh man, those are tough to get out even out of the vehicle. But yes, you do have access to it with the pan off. The hard part is getting the pin out. Are you sure you need to replace the parking pawl and don't have a worn down sun gear around the planet great on the output shaft? Or can it can be an adjustment where you need the linkage to push further on the parking pawl? Or can it be a worn rooster tail? Or how about your detent spring roller into the rooster tail?
What are your symptoms?

clarkdt1992

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 SBC
The truck will only hold in park sometimes. It seems to go into the actual "park position" on the steering column but the truck will still move. I have not disconnected the shift linkage yet to try and manually shift the tranny by hand since I am out of town for work. Correct me if Im wrong but I believe it has something to do with a component inside the trans since it will go into park which is basically neutral however the truck will still roll. Could a bad roster tail or perhaps the detent roller/spring not seating all the way when put in park cause the truck to go in park/neutral but yet still roll?

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
If its making a clicking sound when it rolls I would say the sun gear or parking prowl itself is ruined. I guess if someone was constantly throwing the truck in park while in motion it could wear it out but its un likely.

If a turbo 400 is similar to a 350 there is linkage inside the transmission with a spring that applies the parking prawl, I have only taken a turbo 400 apart so I dont know for sure. Even if there is a problem with that linkage in the transmission thats not letting the parking prawl enguage it would still make a clicking sound.

I would adjust the linkage before dropping the oil pan. Right off the steering column in the engine compartment is where you adjust it.

clarkdt1992

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 SBC
Okay ill check the linkage and disconnect the shifter and try putting the trans into park by hand and go from there. Lets just say though the parking pawl would need to be replaced and its not the sun gear/linkage/rooster/or spring, I have read that you must pull what looks like a freeze plug and that is the only way to remove the pin that holds the pawl. Is this true? and any tips on removing the pawl plug and would the spring get dislodged if the pawl is removed? Again I haven't really had a chance to get under the truck and diagnose. Just trying to get all the information I can to prepare myself if it needed to be pulled so I can do it right the first time.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The truck will only hold in park sometimes. It seems to go into the actual "park position" on the steering column but the truck will still move. I have not disconnected the shift linkage yet to try and manually shift the tranny by hand since I am out of town for work. Correct me if Im wrong but I believe it has something to do with a component inside the trans since it will go into park which is basically neutral however the truck will still roll. Could a bad roster tail or perhaps the detent roller/spring not seating all the way when put in park cause the truck to go in park/neutral but yet still roll?

Yes, any one of those items can cause this problem. Even the park pawl guide be worn down can cause it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP