tbi issues, on my 88 gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yup, its here...post #10

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Forgotten about that, I shall give it the ol' college try tomorrow if I get a chance.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
******' $2 each now and the shack here closed recently so I had to go 10 miles out of my way to get there and they had ONE...****.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
******' $2 each now and the shack here closed recently so I had to go 10 miles out of my way to get there and they had ONE...****.

That guy Murphy is still following you around, Eh?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
A real pain in the ass, you know. I ordered some off ebay so all is well.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
A real pain in the ass, you know. I ordered some off ebay so all is well.

What are your IAC counts, and do you think the cam has been changed at all?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I need to look at the datalog. And I'm positive that it's stock as can be and never been opened up.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On the capacator thing.
My 93 seems to be running just fine, real smooth, gets about 17 to 18 to the gallon, do Youi think I should install capacators on Mine too ???

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
No, the capacitors are a Quick fix for injector driver problems, figured out by GM field techs that were sent to dealerships when their techs had pulled all their hair out. Your ecm is just fine, with those numbers.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Jay, is the plug still over the throttle plate adjust,ent screw? If not, did you pull it off?

Chris, sorry for the jack....Any developments on your end? And your headers are shotys, right? IIRC, the ones from Ebay?

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yep stainless shorty ebay ones. with an o2 bung in the ds header.

paw paw, I tried the icm and no change. I don't get online but once or twice a week from my old mans house, wasn't sure if you had sent out the tbi unit or not.

I'll have to get a chance to pull the icm back out, the computer and the map. Then send em back.

I was thinking the computer, or maybe the icm or even the map might have caused the no refire on hot problem or stalling going into gear, since before I rebuilt the tbi I had to advance the dizzy around to get any power to make it move and it would still die and not refire.

So basically your tb unit might fix this no power and backfire/miss issues, but I doubt it to fix the refire or stall out changing gears, maybe have to run my dizzy advanced anyways.

So I'm really thinking and gonna have to think on it, I may just gather carb swap parts and forget it. I already tracked down an intake to mod from Curt, but have to track down an hei dizzy and a carb. Not to mention buy a mech. pump which is cheap and a pump push rod which may be harder to find.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Man there has got to be a way to figure this thing out.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
yep stainless shorty ebay ones. with an o2 bung in the ds header.

paw paw, I tried the icm and no change. I don't get online but once or twice a week from my old mans house, wasn't sure if you had sent out the tbi unit or not.

I'll have to get a chance to pull the icm back out, the computer and the map. Then send em back.

I was thinking the computer, or maybe the icm or even the map might have caused the no refire on hot problem or stalling going into gear, since before I rebuilt the tbi I had to advance the dizzy around to get any power to make it move and it would still die and not refire.

So basically your tb unit might fix this no power and backfire/miss issues, but I doubt it to fix the refire or stall out changing gears, maybe have to run my dizzy advanced anyways.

So I'm really thinking and gonna have to think on it, I may just gather carb swap parts and forget it. I already tracked down an intake to mod from Curt, but have to track down an hei dizzy and a carb. Not to mention buy a mech. pump which is cheap and a pump push rod which may be harder to find.
Have you checked the Park/neutral switch at the bottom of the column?...really shouldnt cause issues working or not, but thats the only warning the ecm has of the trans going in and out of gear. Also, have you by any chance plugged off the brake booster to wsee how the truck runs? I know its a bitch to stop, but worth a shot if you have'nt thought of it already. And, as if you dont have enough to do.
Here is another I just thought of...
Since it is stalling out at gear change, and hard starting, maybe the heat is ****** with your oil pressure switch. If you have a toggle switch and some wire, maybe try to bypass the earl pressure switch, using the toggle instead, extended into the cab, but flip it on while cranking, see if it acts any better.
My thought is that when it heats up, maybe there is something binding internally on the switch, which may be requiring higher pressure to activate, and keep it going---maybe the gear change dip in rpm is causing it to loose contact, and start rotation rpm is not enough when hot? Where is that shoulder shrugg smily?

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
only thing I could think of is your tb unit, but if that fails there's not much left except for the esc module, because your tn unit working could mean my injector messed up? or maybe iac or something else.

but again with my old computer and map and my old icm I had to jack my timing around to get it to run right, before my tb rebuild. and it also would not refire warm and would stall back then. Basically it's done that since I rebuilt it and put it together, the motor that is.

However along the ways of finding other issues I did find vac. leaks a long time ago on the old plastic hosed rubber end lines it had stock.

still it would not refire warm and would stall.

I really think the stalling is due to the timing being advanced because it does it worse and more often the more advanced it is.

hot refire, no start, not a clue.

honestly I want it fixed but I want it all fixed. I don't want a change gear stall, I don't want a warm refire no start, and I certainly can't stand it having nothing but missing and crap trying to drive it now with the timing turned back, all the backfire, cough miss whatever it's doing.

The only way i can see me fixing it all is with going to carb, hei dist. and mech. pump, then I should have no issues and if so could fix them easily. Anytime I had carb and had warm refire issues I fixed them by either plugging off the return line or heat insulator gasket.

I'm really at a loss on it.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
jim, I was considering unhooking the trans mod line and plugging it, thinking it may have an effect, I'll have to try the booster line and see what happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody