tbi flooding out, gas in oil, injectors pouring not spraying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Man, this TBI tech talk draws me like a friggin moth to a flame... :popcorn:

Be careful with that flame while working on TBI...LoL!
I think I will be doing a small thread on the home made injector cleaner. I have an Idea for and Ultra Sonic cleaning processor too.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea I have torx sets and everything so not a problem.

seriously considering doing the rebuild just for the heck of it, it may fix the problem, hope so but if not my tb is clean anyways.

I'm hoping I can get up some extra coin and do the injector pod spacer and tb spacer while I have it off.

Maybe also do some tbi mods, like ridge removing and such.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Be careful with that flame while working on TBI...LoL!
I think I will be doing a small thread on the home made injector cleaner. I have an Idea for and Ultra Sonic cleaning processor too.

You need to write up a tech article on TBI man. What everything is, how to fix it, what to look for, etc.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
yea I have torx sets and everything so not a problem.

seriously considering doing the rebuild just for the heck of it, it may fix the problem, hope so but if not my tb is clean anyways.

I'm hoping I can get up some extra coin and do the injector pod spacer and tb spacer while I have it off.

Maybe also do some tbi mods, like ridge removing and such.

You can always do that stuff later...better to get it sorted out bone stock first.
Gonna sendbyou a pm about that other thing when I get back from the family outing.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
not a prob. I'll be watching for it.

As for this fix I just ordered a fuel filter and pump strainer from rockauto, gotta love them. A strainer and filter runs me $9.50 with discount, and local it's $11 for a filter only.

So yea got that done, gotta haul some scrap in old mans truck to get more cash for parts, then gonna get a tb rebuild kit, cleaner and such, probably drop tank and clean all that crap too.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
When the TBI diaphragms go, it dumps fuel out of the side of the regulator, pictured in the assmebly on the far right.

That is correct. I have had a number of the units do that and flood the engine while running, especially if the breather is on.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'm glad you guy smention this, I had someone on another forum suggest the fpr, and I was telling them about ordering the new filter and strainer and he replied being smart and said hmm maybe you shoul dcheck the fpr and posted a good idea smiley thing.

I think geez smart butt I'm going to but here's how I see it, fpr requires removing the top injector pod, this causes risk or dropping a screw into the flaps and maybe into the intake if something was to happen and the flaps open, not to mention it requires gaskets, and IF the fpr rubber is gone then I'd need a new one, and without having the new one here or the cash to get one why bother? Just wait until I get the kit and then tear it down. I need cleaner anyways, and then on top of that triple digit temps with high humidity, I'll pass LOL.

I ordered the filter and strainer just for good measure, plus $9.50 for both compared to 11 for a filter only, yea I'll get both and have em here ready if I choose to use them.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'm glad you guy smention this, I had someone on another forum suggest the fpr, and I was telling them about ordering the new filter and strainer and he replied being smart and said hmm maybe you shoul dcheck the fpr and posted a good idea smiley thing.

I think geez smart butt I'm going to but here's how I see it, fpr requires removing the top injector pod, this causes risk or dropping a screw into the flaps and maybe into the intake if something was to happen and the flaps open, not to mention it requires gaskets, and IF the fpr rubber is gone then I'd need a new one, and without having the new one here or the cash to get one why bother? Just wait until I get the kit and then tear it down. I need cleaner anyways, and then on top of that triple digit temps with high humidity, I'll pass LOL.

I ordered the filter and strainer just for good measure, plus $9.50 for both compared to 11 for a filter only, yea I'll get both and have em here ready if I choose to use them.
The new FPR will come with the TBI rebuild kit, which also has the little filter screens for the injectors, and new gaskets and O rings.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yep and exactly why I want to go forward with the kit, clean it all and rebuild it all, then most likely drop the tank, drain, clean, reinstalll with new strainer and filter, blowing the lines out while everything is apart as well.

I also think my mom's bf has a digital volt meter, I'm going to check and if so I am going to test the IAC, TPS, MAP, and the old CTS, basically any sensor I can check with it and then the fuel injectors I'm going to so I know what they are running and if it's all in spec.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
yep and exactly why I want to go forward with the kit, clean it all and rebuild it all, then most likely drop the tank, drain, clean, reinstalll with new strainer and filter, blowing the lines out while everything is apart as well.

I also think my mom's bf has a digital volt meter, I'm going to check and if so I am going to test the IAC, TPS, MAP, and the old CTS, basically any sensor I can check with it and then the fuel injectors I'm going to so I know what they are running and if it's all in spec.

Give it hell buddy. :grd:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
ok so here's what i came up with, all the ground I moved I ran a wire straight from the battery to them, did nothing. So i tore apart the tbi unit.

I am going to start on new thread on it, I know you are looking forward to it John so be sure and check it out.

here it is...

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?p=99201#post99201

It looks like the fpr might have been leaking, can't tell on the outside but the rubber around it was wet when I took it apart as if fuel were going to the outside. Then the center portion of the tb had signs or leaking, looks like oil but it reaks of gas, and the tube on back in the tbi collar is long gone has been for months so it should not have been from it.

You must be registered for see images attach

the thing right in the middle shows signs of leakage and smelled of gas bad, it has a passage that goes into the fuel injector area of the tb too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm