TBI Engine Overhaul - Need input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I spoke with a local engine rebuilder here yesterday and we discussed rebuilding my tired old TBI 350 engine. He has some ideas which I am not sure would work, wanted to run them by you all.

First off, says for a little more power we could put in flat top pistons and hes guessing compression would climb up to around 10:1. I told him I run 87 octane gas (that's what we have around here) and he thought it would be fine without any pinging. I have a tough time believing that one, thoughts?

Second, he wants me to keep the TBI system on the truck, says I will miss it after its gone and carb wont run as well - was thinking of putting carb on so I could actually modify the cam and heads without having issues with the TBI system not running well. Option 2 is to get a chip burned, but I read a lot of stories where that is a nightmare or never works right. We are thinking of getting some GM Vortec heads for it, and an RV-style cam - I use the truck to tow, not to race.

Thoughts on above?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I don't see why a carb wouldn't work if you run the correct intake. The 10:1 on 87 depends on Dynamic compression which revolves around what camshaft you run. If keeping everything stock except for the pistons worse case scenario you might need to run 89

But actually for peak HP a carb always performs as well as any Fuel injection system if tuned and dialed in correctly. But as for performance and DD characteristics the FI would be better but getting your stock TBI to run well depends on what you are changing. I don't think just flat tops would affect it to much.

Flat tops are a good upgrade to almost every SBC.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I think I will avoid the flat tops, not comfortable with 10:1 compression on 87.

Heres what I have been thinking of doing:

-overhaul the short block
-keeping the 9.5:1 compression, but switching to some gmpp vortec heads (new ones from jegs/summit).
-Comp Cams 12-388-4 cam.
-vortec/tbi intake and keep the TBI.

Really worried the above cam change combined with the heads will give me some serious nightmares with the computer. The heads have already been rebuilt once prior, so dont want to rebuild them again.

The other option for heads would be these from Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-152123/overview/

Apparently they are very similar to camel hump heads, they have great reviews.

not looking to make serious hp, just want more power for towing and crusing on the interstate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djk00