Taking the plunge! 1985 C10 long bed L96 6.0 6L90e swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NarwhaleAu

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350ci Chevrolet
Hi,

Well after a few years of thinking about it, I am finally taking the plunge. My truck is a 1985 C10 long bed from Wyoming (now in Houston) that I paid $1,500 for. It has been used to haul around drywall, flooring, lumber, various items from two house moves. About 5 years ago, I sanded it back, primed it, and painted it in a color they call "Sonic Blue", polished the chrome (and bought new lights) and put some new rims and tires on it. It doesn't look quite so shiny anymore - needs a little TLC!

I just purchased (yesterday) an L96 6.0 with a 6L90e from a 2015 3500 Silverado, supposedly with only 10 miles on it. It is coming from Stricker Auto Parts up in Ohio.

I can do basic stuff, but this is going to be outside my comfort zone!

First step will be removing the 350 and 700r4. I'll update when that is around the corner (still unpacking from the recent move to Houston, so need to clear a spot in the garage first).

Phil

You must be registered for see images attach

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Very nice! You'll love that 6L90E! It makes for a hell of a package w/ the 6.0L.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Are you keeping it as pictured and using all GM ECUs?

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Are you keeping it as pictured and using all GM ECUs?

If so, it should be pretty easy. I know, through my cousin, the guy that owns Tejas SteelWorks, and he has a write up on how to LSx swap. Also he makes parts like engine mount relocation brackets so it just drops in. https://squareup.com/market/tejassteelworks You'll find the write up on his Facebook site. Sorry I cant get to it at work. Even sometimes the IT guys get blocked.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
If so, it should be pretty easy. I know, through my cousin, the guy that owns Tejas SteelWorks, and he has a write up on how to LSx swap. Also he makes parts like engine mount relocation brackets so it just drops in. https://squareup.com/market/tejassteelworks You'll find the write up on his Facebook site. Sorry I cant get to it at work. Even sometimes the IT guys get blocked.

I'd second this. They just came out with their 2nd gen mount, and it's awesome. Scotty is the man, great customer support. He's more than happy to talk the project over with you on the phone and help you out.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
When I touch the red words it takes me to a card reading pay me square.

NarwhaleAu

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350ci Chevrolet
Thanks for the support guys!

The plan right now is to install the engine, transmission and ECU as one package (don't break it apart), using the stock wiring harness. I thought it would probably be be best to make it as easy as possible on my first install.

I found the Tejas page with the swap overview. Some nice pointers. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was thinking of going with the dirty dingo engine mounts because they seem to have a lot of options in the positioning. Do you think Tejas would be better? I haven't found anyone doing a 6L90e transmission mount yet.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
When I touch the red words it takes me to a card reading pay me square.

Yeah, he doesnt have a website... We had a discussion on this and he feels like that he doesnt need a landing page and that his square page is good enough... beats me man, I told him being in the industry, I thought that he was wrong and that google analytics didnt work that way. Yeah, it was a long debate and to this day, over a year later, I still feel like he is wrong. Especially with how popular squarebodies are now.

Here is his feacesbook: https://www.facebook.com/TejasSteelWorks/

His first saved pin is his recipe to LSx swap... I thought that I have seen it as a download. If I find it, I'll post the link.

Here is a direct link to the pics that he has it.... still looking for it, as I thought that it was a download. I mean, why wouldnt I download free things?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TejasSteelWorks/photos/?tab=album&album_id=887389151311880

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E

The plan right now is to install the engine, transmission and ECU as one package (don't break it apart), using the stock wiring harness. I thought it would probably be be best to make it as easy as possible on my first install.

I found the Tejas page with the swap overview. Some nice pointers. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was thinking of going with the dirty dingo engine mounts because they seem to have a lot of options in the positioning. Do you think Tejas would be better? I haven't found anyone doing a 6L90e transmission mount yet.

Tejas has a setup that will allow you to do the 6L90E without doing any tunnel mods to fit it. I'd call them up for details, it may not be on the page. Scotty will be more than happy to talk it over with you.

You can also check out the Squarebody LS Facebook page:
LS Swapped Square Body GM Trucks ('73-'86 C/K & '87-'91 R/V)

Scotty is the admin there, and the pinned post has his swap guide you can look over. You can also Facebook message him, he's always glad to answer questions.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

From what I've read the Tejas mounts allow you to bring the engine more forward and up more. These are used mainly, from what I've seen on the web, to allow room for the AC compressor without having to notch the frame. I chose not to because I'd need to get my drive shafts lengthened/shortened (4x4 and not in the budget). The ability to move the engine more forward may be why you don't have to mod the tunnel (guessing there).

Since the initial budget, I've found a reasonable place locally to do driveshafts (~$30/shaft), I may change the mounts to the Tejas when I go to do the AC. I'll have to evaluate it after it's installed, not sure how much room to expect and if I want to lose any. I'm not installing the AC, and have Dingo's already.

Forgot to mention.....I'm jealous :)...a 6L90 in a square.

NarwhaleAu

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350ci Chevrolet
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I spoke to Scotty and ordered the Tejas Steelworks engine and transmission mounts. He also recommended getting a new drive shaft because of the extra power and RPM the new engines are capable of. Potentially a 4" aluminium unit, but I will cross that bridge once the combo is in and running. Speaking of which, the engine and transmission should get here on Wednesday... :)

ChevyRealHeavy

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
How much did you get the motor and trans for?

NarwhaleAu

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350ci Chevrolet
Well it has arrived and is in the garage. The transmission has some oxidation on it and the transmission pan has some rust spots. Is that normal? Otherwise, looks to be in really good condition. Only thing I am not sure about is the O2 sensors...

NarwhaleAu

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350ci Chevrolet
How much did you get the motor and trans for?

Combination was $6,200. I know that is a lot more than many would pay, but it is supposedly out of a 2015 Silverado 3500 HD with only 10 miles on it, so basically brand new internally. When I looked at the cost of any sort of new LS engine and gearbox, this seemed like a pretty good deal. Also it has VVT without DOD, and the 6l90e gearbox, so it should be a pretty stout upgrade.

NarwhaleAu

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350ci Chevrolet
Spent the last week or so researching fuel systems. Purchased the fuel tank with baffle, fuel tank sending unit, fuel tank straps, 58 psi regulator for returnless system, in dash switch for fuel tank switch from 87 C10 from Rockauto.com. Also purchased Quantum Fuel 340 fuel pump.

All should arrive in the next week or so. Planning on taking out the existing 350 in the next few weeks, but still investigating all the connections on the L96 engine and transmission.

SPECTRA PREMIUM/COOLING DEPOT GM1C Fuel Tank $ 72.79
SPECTRA PREMIUM/COOLING DEPOT FG05N Fuel Sending Unit $ 58.89
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS DS1807 (DS-1807) Fuel Tank Selector Switch $ 11.87
WIX 33737 Fuel Filter $ 37.79
SPECTRA PREMIUM/COOLING DEPOT ST01 Fuel Tank Strap $ 12.27

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224