Swap 83 C20 Body onto 86 K20 Frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
He wouldn't have to swap the pedals. He currently has Z bar linkage, and the new cab is Hydro. He'd just have to use the new bellhousing too which he going to have to use that trans anyway since he's now got a Tcase to deal with.

Bigchev

Reaction score
First Name
Arron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
whats the big difference between the two clutch setups i cant tell much at all from pushing them in i should be getting the truck tomorrow morning ill get more pictures to post

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
your 83 has a mechanical linkage between the pedal and the throw out fork

the 86 has a hydrolic master cylinder and a slave cylinder that push the fork

the hydro is alot better if you twist your truck while 4 wheeling the mechanical linkage can bind and not engage the clutch the hydo is not affected by body twist

also the linkage wears the pivit points on the linkage rods and the can brake when you least want them too

if you are useing your 83 cab with the linkage you will have to swap the 83 bellhousing zbar linkage and the mount that is on the frame to the 86 frame

if you use the hydro clutch on the 86 all you have to swap the pedals and mount the master cylinder in your 83 cab
you can make a template from the 86 cab to mark the holes for the master cylinder its easy i have done it

is there a reason not to just use the 86 cab? that would solve alot of the problems.

Bigchev

Reaction score
First Name
Arron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
if i was to use the 86 cab i would have to get it titled and registered again plus it doesnt have all the exemptions from smog like mine does for when i go back home to colorado

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
there is a spot already marked out for the hydrolic clutch master on firewall alread if it is newer than 82. I put hydrolic clutch setup on a 78 and was real easy to do after I located the right spot to mount the clutch master. If your doing alot of offroading the hydrolic clutch is the only way to go. The center tunnels should just bolt in and real easy to change out. Other than 4 bolts( 6 if changinging doghouse to) changinging clutch pedals, the center tunnel, and the wiring it's really only a couple evening job to change cabs. Hardest part is lifting them on and off without damage.

Bigchev

Reaction score
First Name
Arron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i just picked the truck up lastnight it is missing half of the hydraulic stuff so im going to run the mechanical setup. The cab is in ok shap but has a clear title reson why im selling it all it needs is cab corners, and possibly some floorboards ill take more pictures and check when i get back into wyoming.
For the hydraulic clutch all i saw that was intact was tranny tunnel and gas pedals everything else is gone saddly things i am looking for are a shackle flip kit so i can get rid of the blocks in the rear and a crossover steering setup i already have a brand new 2wd gear box

Attachments

• 2012-09-18_15-33-13_117.jpg
    2012-09-18_15-33-13_117.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 115

Bigchev

Reaction score
First Name
Arron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
More pictures of the truck

Attachments

• 2012-09-18_15-33-43_581.jpg
    2012-09-18_15-33-43_581.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 124

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i just picked the truck up lastnight it is missing half of the hydraulic stuff so im going to run the mechanical setup. The cab is in ok shap but has a clear title reson why im selling it all it needs is cab corners, and possibly some floorboards ill take more pictures and check when i get back into wyoming.
For the hydraulic clutch all i saw that was intact was tranny tunnel and gas pedals everything else is gone saddly things i am looking for are a shackle flip kit so i can get rid of the blocks in the rear and a crossover steering setup i already have a brand new 2wd gear box

That sucks. They even snagged the Clutch and Brake pedals???

Bigchev

Reaction score
First Name
Arron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
it has the pedals thats it the clutch is gone no big deal im popping mine on since its only couple months old

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
it has the pedals thats it the clutch is gone no big deal im popping mine on since its only couple months old

So they even took the bell housing? Yeah you're right then. Not much left of it.

I myself do like Z bar manual linkage best, but these guys here do have me convinced for a 4x4, the hydro is likely best. For drag racing, for sure Manual is best and that's what I wanted, but being I'm working on a 4x4, and doubt I'll be drag racing it anyway, I'm going to go hydro since I already have the bell housing. I do sill need hydro clutch and brake pedal assembly, then I'll buy NEW clutch mater and slave cylinders.

But I agree with you too, since you have all the contents for manual already, go for it. Both have their advantages and since you have the Z bar, Just Do it.
Just keep in mind, no body lift which those suck anyway.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
there is a spot already marked out for the hydrolic clutch master on firewall alread if it is newer than 82. I put hydrolic clutch setup on a 78 and was real easy to do after I located the right spot to mount the clutch master. If your doing alot of offroading the hydrolic clutch is the only way to go. The center tunnels should just bolt in and real easy to change out. Other than 4 bolts( 6 if changinging doghouse to) changinging clutch pedals, the center tunnel, and the wiring it's really only a couple evening job to change cabs. Hardest part is lifting them on and off without damage.

Not to hijack the thread, but, TowJoe, I would Drive/work the living **** outta that wrecker in your Avatar.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Bud, I haven't even priced any to know what they go for, and not even certain how much work you have to go thru to get them out. I"ve not found any as of yet. I'm in no drastic hurry, but figured I'd eventually find a set at Pull A Part. Maybe when you do your swap, and more into it we'll know more about what they're worth and if I haven't found any by then. Not that I won't be interested, but I'd almost like to just pull a set myself, so I can see how they are to be installed, and what is gets pulled compared to the auto set up.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i just seen you are in laramie i am in rock springs