Summit BBC Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I just picked up a set of ceramic coated headers for the C30 from Summit. Also grabbed an H-Pipe to connect them together.

Anybody have any experience installing these things on a BBC Square? Just curious how much trouble it was.

They sure are purdy though, aren't they?

You must be registered for see images attach

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Righty tighty, lefty loosey, mark get set, GO!

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Might have to reroute your starter wires. Might have to take a ball peen hammer to the tubes here and there. It won't effect performance if that's the case. Make sure there no weld flash on the flange. Will need to retorque header bolts... a few times.
Make sure to fire it up with the open headers... just so you know what it really sounds like!

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Might have to reroute your starter wires. Might have to take a ball peen hammer to the tubes here and there. It won't effect performance if that's the case. Make sure there no weld flash on the flange. Will need to retorque header bolts... a few times.
Make sure to fire it up with the open headers... just so you know what it really sounds like!
Be sure to do this early am or late pm so as to take advantage of the quiet to get the FULL EFFECT!!!!

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
pretty yes, and i'll be curious to see how they fit. just don't skimp on the header gaskets. I see those are round port headers, and not to throw a machete into your plans but be careful if you have square exhaust port heads because you might have sealing problems. A lot of times they'll eat header gaskets due to the mismatch if that is the case. if so, double up the header gaskets when you install them. don't ask me how I know... A lot of times when looking up headers for our stuff depending on what engine has been swapped in we need to look at I believe pre-74ish headers to get the correct square (rectangular) port flanges. Hedman Elite 69820 are the choice I made for mine because they had the square flanges but I strongly considered the ones just like you have! I've already got the uncoated version on my truck now and I doubled up the gaskets to get them to stop leaking because of the mismatch. It did solve that problem but With the new ones that won't be an issue. Also, you will probably need to take the motor mount bolts out and possibly jack the engine up a few inches to facilitate the install and make it easier on yourself.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
JUST GOT SOME CHEAP FLOWMASTERS 11530FLT HEADERS FROM SUMMIT. INSTALLED THEM ON MY BBC 454 THAT I AM BUILDING. THEY CLEAR THE STARTER, BUT I GOT A DEI VERSA SHIELDS 010402 BLANKET JUST IN CASE. I USE A STOCK STYLE DIPSTICK TUBE SUMMIT PART # NAL-12550533 IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE STOCK REPLACEMENT, AND DOES WORK WELL. USES A 5/16 X 3/8 O-RING, I USE TWO, THESE ARE REGULAR ORINGS, SO DON'T BUY A ORING FROM SUMMIT FOR 6 BUCKS. THE DIP STICK IS A LITTLE SHORT NAY-12557083 WITH A NEW P30 FRAM FILTER, AND SIX QTS OF COMP CAMS BREAKIN OIL, IT IS AT ABOUT 1/2 QT LOW. MY PRIMING TOOL FOR THE SMALL BLOCK IS A LITTLE SHORT, SO I WILL EXTEND THAT TODAY, AND PRIME THE PUMP AND RUN OIL AROUND, THEN CHECK IT AGAIN. ALL THIS TO SAY REMOVE YOUR DIP STICK, IT WILL MAKE LIFE EASIER, AND MINE WAS EASY TO RE-INSTALL WITH A REGULAR O-RING.

You must be registered for see images attach

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Well I took last Thursday and Friday off to get the job done. I'm glad I did. It took the better part of both days get it done. The headers went in pretty easy. I did not have to drop the oversize oil filter or the (mini) starter. No bending tubes or anything either. I already had 45 deg header plug wires and insulators anyway so that was good. The only issue I ran into was that the header flanges were not clearanced for the lower row of head bolts. Considering these things slid in like butter otherwise, this surprised me. I would also say that I am a little upset at how close the collectors are to the frame. I would have liked a little more clearance there.

The H-pipe kit was even easier to install. No complaints there. I installed it right off the header reducers and used the V shaped pipe to get under the transmission pan.

My biggest headache was getting the old pipes to work. Somebody had split a larger diameter pipe in half and welded it over the primary exhaust tubes as a heat shield. I've never seen anything like it. So I had to remove a bunch of that, only to find out that the inner pipe, while in great condition, was an unknown size. Larger than 2 1/4, but smaller than 2 1/2. I ended up making an adapter using some various tubing that made the connection, but between making the adapters and cutting/grinding everything it took pretty much all of Friday to get the job done.

End result? The headers look/fit very nice as did the H-pipe. The included gaskets worked well with no leaks. The only real issue was the frame clearance as they do bang a little bit in certain circumstances. It's not too too bad though and I may try rotating the collector clamp a little to see if that will help.

HOWEVER. I will say the the H-pipe took ALL of the aggressiveness out of the exhaust. This was originally a true-dual with Flowmaster Super 44s and exits at the bed corners. With the previous setup it would BARK when I got on it.

Now it is much more... refined. I'm still up in the air about whether I like it or not. It sounds much more modern, has much less in-cab drone, and a much more even sound. I liked the old aggressive nature of the exhaust so I really don't know how I feel about it.

I'll post some pics of the new setup soon. I will say these headers do look very nice. Especially since you can see them from the side of the truck through the wheel well. It's pretty cool. Overall I can't complain too much. The headers were $269 shipped, and the H-pipe was $40, and Summit had a $20 off sale going.

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
is that a edelbrock air u got onthe big block

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Well I have not been driving much in the past month or so due to the Kung Flu, but I will say the headers and H-Pipe have been fine. No issues and they still look great and sound good. The mellower tone from the H-Pipe has really grown on me. It's much more refined. I'll see if I can grab some pics of the final install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade