Suburban Third Row Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I installed a factory 3rd seat in my '88 that did not come with one, I thought the install was pretty easy. I just got a seat and seatbelts from one junkyard, had another junkyard cut out a set of mounts for me, then did a little cutting and drilling.

I positioned the seat on the floor and marked where the front mounts needed to be. I trimmed the donor floor mounts a bit so they had a healthy flange around the perimeter, then cut openings in the floor so the mount pockets could sit flush in the floor. Rather than welding them in (due to the fuel tank), I mounted them with 12 or so 1/4 inch rivets on each mount. I feel it is just as secure as welding. Then with the seat slid into the front mounts, I marked where the rear mounts needed to be and then mounted them just like the other pair.

The seatbelts were easy because they were just lap belts. Just drill holes and bolt them in, with a very large washer on the underside of the floor.

Then enjoy having a 3rd seat.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
My square lives on the west side of the state. That's why it's not too much of a problem only having a 3 person vehicle. It's a spare vehicle at a second home. Not like it's driven a lot. Mostly in the summer, maybe once a month in late fall and winter.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the run-down bucket! That is about what I thought it would involve. More brain power and time rather than brawn power and a BFH.

I was going to either head down to the dealer in town or check out my sisters 2004 Yukon XL. IIRC the shoulder belts are integral with the seat. That would be an interesting option. Also it would be down the road and it's own thread, if it ever happens.

5th

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I like the idea of the rivets bucket. About to undergo this project as soon as I can source a seat.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, I thought it worked out great with the rivets. I had a little more floor material around the pockets to work with though. As long as you can sit them down flat on the floor and have at least an inch of overlap, you should be fine.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Steel rivets not aluminum right? All the patch panels in Ol' Butterscotch are attached with steel rivets and the joints are all sealed with fibered roofing cement "tar" sandwiched between. Lasts a long ass time. Not a single one of my joints have failed even in the rust belt.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I like the idea of the rivets bucket. About to undergo this project as soon as I can source a seat.

You must be registered for see images attach

As always, I'm to far and/or wrong color. I've got a Blue one in good (not excellent) condition you could have if you were close enough to come pick it up. I had a red one too at one time, but sold it with the parts burb. That one was the 80's fabric though.

5th

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
As always, I'm to far and/or wrong color.

I've found a grey/bluish one off Kijiji. ...but like everything else it's a six hour round trip drive...(guys using it as a chair in his shop)

Every wrecker/pick-a-part in a 300 mile radius crushed their squarebodys about a decade ago I've found out.

Luckily our vendors here carry stuff I'm looking for. :)

Re:wrong color. I'm gonna try n' find a set of red buckets (one to replace the drivers seat) Then use the fabric from the two seats to re-skin the grey/bluish 3rd row seat. :shrug:

5th

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Good call with the roofing "tar" Georgeb. I just happen to have a fresh gallon of the stuff. And yes lol, steel rivets.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've found a grey/bluish one off Kijiji. ...but like everything else it's a six hour round trip drive...(guys using it as a chair in his shop)

Every wrecker/pick-a-part in a 300 mile radius crushed their squarebodys about a decade ago I've found out.

Luckily our vendors here carry stuff I'm looking for. :)

Re:wrong color. I'm gonna try n' find a set of red buckets (one to replace the drivers seat) Then use the fabric from the two seats to re-skin the grey/bluish 3rd row seat. :shrug:

Most our squares around here were scrapped in the last 2 years when car bodies were up over $200 a ton. Thankfully they are down to $30-$50 a ton now and if any didn't crushed maybe they can be bought for $100-$200 like I used to do.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Steel rivets not aluminum right? All the patch panels in Ol' Butterscotch are attached with steel rivets and the joints are all sealed with fibered roofing cement "tar" sandwiched between. Lasts a long ass time. Not a single one of my joints have failed even in the rust belt.

I don't recall exactly what I used, but it was a HD type. Actually I think they were supplied by GM for use installing a replacement frame rail in a Malibu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507