Stupid previous owners suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
did they freakin cut it out with a torch? If so they sure got some balls cutting with a torch right over the gas tank.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
did they freakin cut it out with a torch? If so they sure got some balls cutting with a torch right over the gas tank.

Looks like they could have used a hole saw.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Despite the hacked nature of the hole, it's not THAT bad of an idea. After all, you know what Murphy's law is. If something goes wrong in your tank, requiring you to drop it, it's not going to happen when you are running on fumes.

Square it off. Maybe roll the edges a bit so you don't slice your hands up and you're good to go with that patch.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
can you buy that harness above ^^^^ that goes to the fuel pump at a parts store i need one

Hip 2 be square

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they used a drill to make the hole. Easy access for a fuel pump replacement, but it doesn't look like anything was replaced judging by the look of the top of the tank and stuff. I do know when I bought the truck I got it pretty cheap because it would only run for a few minutes and then quit. Inside the truck among the parts i found an older HEI and a Q-jet. I suspect they were so frustrated by the problem they were going to ditch the FI, but in the end they just sold it cheap.

Turned out the coolant temp sensor was bad. I paid them, swapped in a new CTS and drove it 50 miles home. :crazy:

They may have been thinking bad fuel pump was the problem, but never got as far as replacing it...just far enough to hack a hole in the floor.

I will clean that hole up, ain't that big a deal really.

As for the wires up there, I'm thinking one has to be hot for the fuel pump, and the other is prolly for the sending unit. Not much of a harness, other than the plug itself.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Well im needing to get a new one because my is crap
im wondering if the cts is whats wrong with mine

Hip 2 be square

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CTS, TPS are both common failures. This particular CTS was telling the computer it was -60F, so the computer basically flooded the motor out within minutes. Depending on what temp the CTS is telling the computer it could be your issue. They are pretty cheap, and take about 39 seconds to swap.

Have you tried unplugging the EGR and seeing if that helps?

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
well i just found out my egr is like clogged where the hose runs to it there is no opening looks like someone broke metal i like a nail off in there

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
my problems are listed on the board

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
How about when they (stupid POs that is) don't know where a line or wire goes, so they cut it off with the ***** and throw it away? The kickdown control on my tranny for example. I can hear the conversation now "Hey, Lamar-Jean, where does this danged old thing go?" " Damfino! Cut her off and lets get another beer!"

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well I found one yesterday, somebody had been back there working on the bed of my 88 and hitch, had thick square pieces of metal for washers and one was a regular washer for the hitch, guess they lost the thick square piece, thought oh this thin washer will hold it, then they had lost a bolt out of where the square tube meets the side plates.

That aint the worst, one bumper bracket bolt was gone, got to looking and they welded the freakin bracket to the frame, son of a bitch!!!!!!!!! both sides are done like that and one bed bolt was spot welded to the bumper bracket. I gotta get that junk loose and out of the way so I can puill the bed.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
This is the trouble with people who know how to weld, AND live more than twenty miles from a Home Depot or a NAPA. LOL To the right angle grinder! Awwaaaaaaaaaayyyy!!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, I do like the access hole idea, but certainly could have been done much better in that case. Sure glad to see I am not the only one that bitches about PO's.
Since I buy many vehicles wo motor and trans then build my own, my peeve is certainly that the PO cuts the underhood wiring harness up to save 10-15 minutes pulling the motor and trans. Just absolutley ridiculous, especially if you know you are going to sell the leftoever vehicle to someone that may very well put it back together.
But, I sure use it to steal what I buy. I recently bought a K10. The guy wanted $400 for it wo motor, trans and tcase. The rest of the truck including driveshafts and axles were there. I asked him on the phone if all the wiring was there and in tact. He told me sure was. I get there, 80 miles from home. Looked it all over, very little rust, so I knew I was buying the truck. I pop the hood and seen the wiring harness hacked up, got pissed and slammed the hood. I told the guy, I asked if the wiring was in tact for a reason and I don't know who, but some ******* cut the harness to save 10 minutes pulling the motor, and they aren't cheap, so either I wasted my damn time and gas coming to look at this worthless truck, or you'll take $200 and I'll track down a harness and get it running again someday IF you have a title to it. It wasn't a way to get the price down, I'd have gladly paid $400. But I guess I made my point and he quickly agreed to $200 and pulled the title out of his back pocket. Who knows, I may have scared him. But, just so sick of coming across vehicles with butchered harnesses. Same thing buying one without a truck bed. Why butcher the wires, unplug them, or at least cut in an area where it can be easily spliced.

Last edited:

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
My wife and I got home from vacation in
I just wish I had a "Previous Owner" heat seeking missile so I could at least have some satisfaction knowing that he isn't out there somewhere messing up other great trucks.

So what horrible **** have you noticed on your trucks that the previous owners were responsible for?

Destroyed the pilot bearing and put the tranny in without installing a new one, might as well have had nothing as what was there.
Bob

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
PO swapped on a junk carb in place of the brand new rebuilt unit and cut and / or randomly re-plugged all the carb vacuum lines before I took delivery. Also, overcharged the AC because "I thought it needed topping off", causing the manifold O-rings to blow out on my drive home from the DMV.

-Josh

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus