Strangest things ive seen today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77chevy400

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6.6l (400)
I heard some popping coming from exhaust which indicated to me the carb wasnt adjusted well while im looking at the carb i couldnt tell which screw was for air and which one was for fuel.

I believe i figured out the one below the fuel filter is for fuel and the one on the right side for air.

I found out by turning air down till it barely ran. I turnt the fuel down till it just simply bogged out.

Tuned my carb and wallah. Runs way better now. Feels better driving it aswell.

I do not know if i have a vacuum or double pump carb. Seems to me like the rod that connects the pedal to throttle butterfly for the four barrell is missing.

I have 3 holes on my carb thats midding vacuum lines or there capped off(will be getting a chitlons or haynes manual tomorrow to fix that up).

I have no windshield fluid resevior? Where is it suppose to be located.. I have this huge clip bracket on drivers inside fender. I was thinking maybe there.

And also how do u adjust timing. I always heard u turnt the distributor. Well i tried and it wont budge. Is there a bolt or bracket holding it down?

Sent from my Reddot R50 using Tapatalk

77chevy400

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6.6l (400)
Also on my passenger side valve cover theres a pcv valve like on my drivers side well this onr has a hose running from it to the thermostat. I pulled it off and revealed a threaded plug in it with a 1/2 square head(like on ur ratchet) in there. What is it

Ive researched and found its for the temp sender on 400's. My truck was a 305 and someone put a 400sbc in it. My temp sender is on drivers side of thr block.

(I found out it was a 400 by looking for the external harmonic balancer, i found one.).

Sent from my Reddot R50 using Tapatalk

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Most of your answers can be answered by quick searching on any given site. But those two screws are mixture screws which you need a vac gauge to adjust.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
someone will explain it better but there is not a separate air and fuel adjustment screw they are both the same. they adjust both the air and fuel ratio one for one side of the carb one for the other side. these only adjust the air/fuel ratio at idle. do you know what carb you have? do you have a pic? yes there is a bolt under the distributor that you loosen so you can adjust. however it sounds like you need to learn how to do all this before you just start adjusting stuff. someone will chime in that can explain it better. highdesertranger

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I don't understand all sbc have external harmonic balancers. however 400 cids are different. so is the flywheel/flexplate. highdesertranger

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
"Strangest things ive seen today."

For me, I would have to say - this thread.

I once relieved a Chief Engineer on a Sea-Land ship and he had this framed and hanging on the office wall:

I've smoked dope, chewed rope, danced, French romanced, ******, farted, fought, shot the moon and drove big trucks. I've been to Bangor Maine, Spain, Spokane, and Fort Wayne, seen three world fairs, been around the world twice, looked danger in the face, and seen goats **** in the marketplace, but I gotta tell ya – I ain't never seen no **** like this.

No offense intended, it's just that I wrote that down before I left the ship and never had a chance to use it - till today.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:lol:

cfieldchevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There should be one bolt holding down a clamp that holds the dist. Loosen bolt and you can turn dist. Search distributor hold down clamp. Probably best to get a timing light and timing tape for balancer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69